1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

2 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I don't want to get carried away but I think those are reasonable expectations

a singular SB win? well, you're being quite modest.

Disclaimer: The above post and conversation is mean to be humorous in nature, and I do not expect a 21 year old rookie QB to become a Super Bowl winning QB based on how little we know so far of him. I reserve judgment for a future analysis based on his actual play, temperament, and health over his career. Thank you.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sad People said:

Joels called a ton of Michigan games.

That was an interesting watch.  Good to know they tried to trade up for Maye, my QB of choice.  Even better to hear the stat about his passing 10-20 yards downfield.  That's where the money is.  That's the chain movers.  That's the 3rd down conversion.  That's also where you're going to get the most YAC type opportunities.  I've never been a fan of the WR bubble screens type garbage, unless your WR is elite.  But from a QB standpoint, it's boring and shows zero skills.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, swede700 said:

Just like we asked about Kirko...if JJ wins a SB for the Vikings, does he surpass Fran automatically?  🤣

Fran was well before my time.  He's my mom's favorite player though!  I think that the whole SB thing is over-rated when evaluating a player.  Brad Johnson won a SB, while Jim Kelly and Dan Marino didn't.  Does that make Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer the greater players?  Nope!  Same thing with the Caitlin Clark drama lately.  So what if she didn't win a national championship.  She took a team full of role players to back to back title games, and set the record in points scored while being top 5 in assists, not to mention this year she led the nation in both scoring and assists if I recall correctly.  Those who want to use her not winning a title as a knock against her are clueless.  She led freaking Iowa (which is my favorite school for football) to a dominant level they wouldn't have sniffed otherwise.  Meanwhile, those others that people claim are better because they won titles went to powerhouses like UConn, where the roster was loaded lol.  She revolutionized the game and actually made people watch.  Best offensive player ever.  Defense could use some work!  But we'll see what she does when she has a competent supporting cast and can afford to play defense (both due to energy and foul issues).

I would say that JJ has to be a dominant player, for a long time, to pass up Fran.  Beings that they played like 60 years apart, it's basically impossible to compare across eras anyway.  But I've read enough about Fran to know that he was the Mahomes of his era, minus winning SBs lol.  Many years ago I did watch those old Viking SBs, and they were just outclassed from what I recall.  QB had no chance.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

But if McCarthy wins a Super Bowl and retires holding every major passing stat?

Does he have to hold every major passing stat or just surpass Fran's numbers?  😂

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Does he have to hold every major passing stat or just surpass Fran's numbers?  😂

hold them all upon retirement. lol

first of all, he gets to play 17 (or even 18) game seasons, while Fran played 14 for most of his career.

second, all time records show how you did in the era relative to your peers at the same position, which equalizes rule changes and such.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I think the last jersey that I got was Petersons.  McCarthy might have to be my next

I wanted a Bridgewater one, but I'm a defense guy and had to get Harrison Smith and Everson Griffen.

It's been probably 8 years since I last got a jersey. I'm considering getting one again. Not sure who though!

I still have my Kendricks one...that's the last one I bought.  I'm not sure I'm going to buy another one yet, but we'll have to see. I also would have no idea at this point who that would be.

According to ESPN’s Kevin Seifert: The Vikings are "extremely wary" about rushing JJ McCarthy into the mix for starting QB.

Minnesota's plan as of right now is to have Sam Darnold open training camp as the QB 1. Kevin O'Connell has created a daily development plan for McCarthy to reach a series of benchmarks before there is any indication of him becoming the starter.

Posted (edited)

Here's a look at the deals a select group of first-round picks other than Wiggins are expected to sign. 

Pick

Player

Team

Cap number

Bonus

Total

J.J. McCarthy

Vikings

$3,973,599 

$12,714,396

$21,854,795 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-2024-nfl-rookie-contract-projections-for-key-round-1-picks-with-wage-scale-explainer/          
Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm not sure if anyone posted this yet, but I found it amusing.

Good for McCarthy!  More people, men especially, need to talk about depression. It's still stigmatized and male sufferers are judged to be week by some others.  Thankfully, things are better...but there's still away to go.  

@VikeManDan, if this post is inappropriate, please let me know, and I will delete.  It's subject matter I feel passionate about. Thanks.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I wanted a Bridgewater one, but I'm a defense guy and had to get Harrison Smith and Everson Griffen.

It's been probably 8 years since I last got a jersey. I'm considering getting one again. Not sure who though!

The last Vikings' jersey I got was Greenway.  The only jersey I've bought in recent years was a McCaffrey SB jersey last season.  Prior to that, the last jersey I bought was easily a decade ago.  

• Like 1