1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

McCarthy: "I was working with Adam Thielen twice a week, and it was so great to work with him because he's someone familiar with the offense. So I could work on that and be able to call the plays, and him actually going out there and running the routes and him explaining the plays from his perspective on certain concepts, it was huge."

https://thevikingage.com/posts/minnesota-vikings-jj-mccarthy-describes-impact-adam-thielen-had-carolina-panthers?

i wonder how the Carolina players feel about Thielen not working with them....?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i wonder how the Carolina players feel about Thielen not working with them....?

Were all of the other Carolina players working with each other? 

Players from one team working with players from other teams is not uncommon. 

• Like 4

On Saturday, SI's Will Ragatz mentioned as one item of his daily camp notes that it “was the second straight day where McCarthy looked more like the more impressive of the two, although both had their ups and downs.”

“McCarthy was cooking in the red zone period. He went 4 for 5 in that setting, with touchdown passes to Nailor, Lucky Jackson, and Trey Knox. The fourth completion was a dump-off to Kene Nwangwu that may or may not have resulted in a score if tackling were in play. The lone incompletion was a ball that was too hot and a bit too high for Sammis Reyes. Overall, McCarthy looked smooth, decisive, and accurate during the red zone work.”

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/top_news/the-j-j-mccarthy-buzz-is/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

On 7/26/2024 at 5:59 PM, vike daddy said:

trying to "analyze" footwork from a few videos at great distance is just plain.... well, try to think of synonyms for not smart.

Luke Braun is incredible. I'd take his analysis over a lot of peoples'.

Granted, neither picture/video are the best quality or ideal location to know if any substantial changes to his footwork has occurred.

The best analysis we'll get right now is from the coaching staff I think.

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Luke Braun is incredible. I'd take his analysis over a lot of peoples'.

err... this isn't Braun's analysis, it's yours - "I think what we can gather from this is that JJ is improving his footwork. Perhaps it's just not consistent at this point in time."

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

The best analysis we'll get right now is from the coaching staff I think.

brilliant! lol

Just now, vike daddy said:

err... this isn't Braun's analysis, it's yours - "I think what we can gather from this is that JJ is improving his footwork. Perhaps it's just not consistent at this point in time."

brilliant! lol

I'm basing what I said off of his and others work though. It's not like I'm personally observing McCarthy's footwork.

And at this time of year, I see nothing wrong with making an analysis. Feel free to disagree though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteelKing728 said:

And at this time of year, I see nothing wrong with making an analysis. Feel free to disagree though.

i'm reacting only to the minimal sources you posted along with your analysis.

when you did so, you didn't cite any others or quote any other people.

• Like 1

Dane Mizutani from the Pioneer Press tweeted: “J.J. McCarthy is consistently the next quarterback getting work.”

That implies McCarthy is slowly moving up the depth chart and is playing ahead of veteran backup Nick Mullens. Of course, that order could flip on any given day and might be part of the grander plan, but it’s a good sign regardless.

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/vikings-analysis/the-rookie-had/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

It hasn't taken long for people in attendance at summer practices to notice that McCarthy seems to be in the lead over Nick Mullens and Jaren Hall for the No. 2 quarterback job.

https://thevikingage.com/posts/early-leader-minnesota-vikings-qb-battle-no-2-job-might-surprise?f

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Through a handful of practices it sounds like we're hearing pretty encouraging news. 

I'm encouraged by the encouraging news that we are encouraging an environment that fosters and encourages develpment. 

Very encouraging, indeed. 

• Like 1

I thought Mullens wasn't getting as many reps because he's already familiar with the system..?

If JJ opens up the season as QB3 I wouldn't be upset or surprised. This current regime seems to thoroughly understand the QB position and have a little more patience than the previous one.

Edited by SteelKing728
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Dane Mizutani from the Pioneer Press tweeted: “J.J. McCarthy is consistently the next quarterback getting work.”

That implies McCarthy is slowly moving up the depth chart and is playing ahead of veteran backup Nick Mullens. Of course, that order could flip on any given day and might be part of the grander plan, but it’s a good sign regardless.

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/vikings-analysis/the-rookie-had/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

It hasn't taken long for people in attendance at summer practices to notice that McCarthy seems to be in the lead over Nick Mullens and Jaren Hall for the No. 2 quarterback job.

https://thevikingage.com/posts/early-leader-minnesota-vikings-qb-battle-no-2-job-might-surprise?f

That is cool and all, but honestly if McCarthy cannot beat out Nick Mullens and Jaren Hall and started the season as the 3rd string QB, that is just sad.  Hall is clearly limited in terms of his pocket awareness and ability to throw in the pocket and Mullens is just a guy who sure can get stats but turns it over so often his stats are pretty meaningless when he basically throws as many INTs as he does TDs.  

The real news would be McCarthy is out playing Sam Darnold and I doubt that is happening.  But sure it is better than awful news but honestly it is just camp and there is a reason Hall and Mullens were not selected before the 4th round or even drafted at all.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

That is cool and all, but honestly if McCarthy cannot beat out Nick Mullens and Jaren Hall and started the season as the 3rd string QB, that is just sad.  Hall is clearly limited in terms of his pocket awareness and ability to throw in the pocket and Mullens is just a guy who sure can get stats but turns it over so often his stats are pretty meaningless when he basically throws as many INTs as he does TDs.  

The real news would be McCarthy is out playing Sam Darnold and I doubt that is happening.  But sure it is better than awful news but honestly it is just camp and there is a reason Hall and Mullens were not selected before the 4th round or even drafted at all.

This has been hashed out already. The assumption by many is that JJ may be shielded as the 3rd QB if he isn't ready to start Week 1, and that when he's ready to play, he'll be the #1. If JJ starts the season as the emergency/developmental QB, it's not necessarily an indicator that he's the 3rd most productive QB on the roster. It's not that simple.

• Like 6