1.17 - Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama - #15

On 7/4/2024 at 9:07 AM, VikeManDan said:

The way I envisioned it, right or wrong, is...

Hunter out, Greenard in.

Davenport/Wonnum out, AVG/Turner in.

With health, all 3 will see significant snaps with Flores in charge.

It feels soooo wrong for me to say but I think our EDGE group got better. I was/am a huge Hunter fan.

It is easy to say it got better overall when Davenport played four games if that.  

Greenard I feel did benefit a lot from having Will Anderson Jr opposite him and with the scheme/coordinator change which was switched to more of a typical 4/3 with a major focus on the DL and creating pressure that way and letting the LBs run/cover.

Will Anderson Jr was 3rd in the entire NFL in pass rush win rate and was the 5th most double teamed DE in the NFL and he was #1 in Run Stop Win Rate Rankings out of all edge defenders and out of the top 10 guys he was double teamed more than any of them.  So he is a dude and Greenard benefited greatly from that.  To me for say Houston, in no way is Danielle Hunter not a massive improvement for them over Greenard.  There is a reason he got $5 more per season than Greenard despite being two years older.

But I agree for this scheme the ability to drop in coverage and be a bit more nimble for Greenard will help but honestly for it all to work Dallas Turner has to be an absolute dude.  Because if not, not sure Greenard is this All Pro edge rusher type that can carry a unit just on his abilities alone.  Is Dallas Turner Will Anderson though, absolutely not, which sucks but it will be interesting how he does with his crazy impressive athletic ability and quickness.  

I am not ready to call this edge group better, yes they are better at dropping into zone coverages potentially but holding the edge and point of attack not sure they will be better but we will see.  They are arguably faster which is nice but still hard to compare because Davenport basically missed the entire season for the most part so who knows what they would have been with him especially if he was able to fill in at DT which he did quite well a few times when he was even healthy enough to play.

PS the Kansas City Chiefs have 3 out of the top 4 IOL in pass rush win rate last year, so basically all their starters ranked that highly, no wonder they won the Super Bowl with that kind of protection for Patrick.  Dalton Risner was 9th in the entire NFL out of all IOL in pass rush win rate, yet he is not worth **** in terms of his contract, pretty sad for him.  Sure maybe he is not the best run blocker but not like anyone else is, no one on the Vikings OL was on the OT or IOL top list for run block win rate.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, vike daddy said:

chirrut.jpg

One does not have to have sight to be able to see.....

Best star wars movie ever made! 

Also, if Dallas Turner can use the force, there is a really good chance he'll go down as the GOAT! 😉😁

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2024 at 6:57 AM, SteelKing728 said:

He's built but still nowhere near the alien status that was (and still is) Danielle Hunter lol

He ran a 4.46 40-yard dash, which makes him as fast as some CB's.  I would think that puts him in alien-freakish level territory, no?

• Like 1

EAGAN, Minn. — Vikings quarterback J.J. McCarthy and outside linebacker Dallas Turner have signed their rookie contracts, the team announced Sunday.

Minnesota's first-round picks inked their deals shortly after reporting to Twin Cities Orthopedics Performance Center for 2024 Vikings Training Camp.

vikings.com

Minnesota Vikings No. 17 overall pick Dallas Turner signed a four-year, fully-guaranteed contract worth $15.76 million that includes a $8.28 million signing bonus and a fifth-year team option.

VikingsNation.com

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

O’Connell: “You kind of forget sometimes that Dallas is a rookie. Just knowing the amount of information, from really Day 1, I think we knew he was smart, we knew he had been coached really well but then you get him here and you get him in the meeting room setting and you see how well he’s handling not only basic installations that most rookies are asked to do but you’re hearing him ask some questions that are very telling about where he’s able go.”

“Dallas loves football, so everyday is a new day, he always has a smile on his face. But it’s not a smile that I would recommend taking as giddy or taking things lightly. It’s a smile that he has bad intentions to do some things on a daily basis.”

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/top_news/vikings-young-bad-intentions/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 2

Dallas Turner, the Vikings rookie outside linebacker thwarted a potential Raiders touchdown drive on the first defensive series of his NFL career. Turner did it true to form, too, sacking Las Vegas quarterback Aidan O'Connell on third-and-3 at Minnesota's 3-yard line. It stalled a 15-play, 83-yard drive that lasted 7:42 and forced a field goal.

Turner exploded out of his two-point stance on the right side of the line of scrimmage, pressured the outside shoulder of Raiders left tackle Andrus Peat and then lowered his center of gravity. Turner ducked beneath Peat's lunging punch, ripped his left arm up and through and bear-hugged O'Connell to the turf.

Turner knew his adversary. He planned his pass-rush arsenal by watching tape of the 10-year veteran and decided to use what he calls a "ghost" move, "dipping and running" past the Raiders bookend. He was frank postgame, admitting the Raiders linemen didn't stack up to who he sees throughout the week.

Turner: "We practice against Christian Darrisaw and Brian O'Neill every day. It's definitely a good advantage going against those dudes. It felt fake at first, I'm not even going to lie."

https://www.vikings.com/news/jj-mccarthy-dallas-turner-rookies-1st-game-preseason

• Like 2

Dallas Turner noted the initial blast on Aiden O'Connell knocked the rust off his game.

Turner: "After I got that little first thud in, I got back into that mode. I definitely won't forget about that. Many more to come."

vikings.com

• Like 2