1.17 - Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama - #15

Vikings pass rusher Dallas Turner is a slight favorite over Colts pass rusher Laiatu Latu to win the NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Year award. Turner, whom the Vikings traded up to No. 17 overall for, is listed as a +400 favorite at DraftKings.com. Latu, the first defensive player drafted at No. 15 overall, is at +550.

The defensive rookie of the year has been a pass rusher four of the last five years, so it’s no surprise that the oddsmakers see a pass rusher winning it again this year. The reigning Defensive Rookie of the Year is Texans pass rusher Will Anderson.

The next-best odds belong to Eagles cornerback Quinyon Mitchell and Rams defensive end Jared Verse, both at +1100. Lions cornerback Terrion Arnold is at +1200, Dolphins defensive end Chop Robinson and Seahawks defensive tackle Byron Murphy are at +1300, and Eagles cornerback Cooper DeJean is at +2000.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/dallas-turner-favored-over-laiatu-latu-to-win-defensive-rookie-of-the-year

With Dallas Turner's speed and burst, on any WR screen, jet sweep or quick out, if Turner is dropped into that space he is going to absolutely blow it up.  So quick to the football and his ability to drop on zone blitzes is a major reason why they wanted him over the likes of Latu and especially Verse.  

Last year he blew up more than a few WR screens and jet sweeps with his penetration and read/reaction.  I assume Cashman will be be the primary blitzer off those zone blitz packages, either he or Metellus/Harrison Smith.  Van Ginkel also if they play with Van Ginkel being the backup ILB at times assume edge will be completely Turner and Greenard.  Then again Van Ginkel is also great at dropping off on zone blitzes as well so that versatility will be very interesting and hard for offensive lines to block.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2024 at 1:39 PM, swede700 said:

Wait until winter arrives.

I always remember when they asked Teddy Bridgewater if he was worried about playing the cold of the Minnesota winters.  He said it shouldn't be a problem because he also played outdoors in Louisville.  xD  He ended up playing well when he was outside in the Gophers' stadium, but I thought that was pretty funny when he said it.

Dallas Turner will break the rookie sack record this year and win at least DROY. Flores will scheme him up in ways previously unimaginable and never before seen in the NFL. He will be able to both rush the passer, drop into coverage, and will easily blow things up in the flats for TFLs. Just imagine the amount of disguises this will allow us to do and the confusion this will create on opposing offenses. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Dallas Turner will break the rookie sack record this year and win at least DROY. Flores will scheme him up in ways previously unimaginable and never before seen in the NFL. He will be able to both rush the passer, drop into coverage, and will easily blow things up in the flats for TFLs. Just imagine the amount of disguises this will allow us to do and the confusion this will create on opposing offenses. 

He's got such insane speed, explosiveness and length if Flores keeps him fresh and unleashes him in obvious pass rushing situations I can imagine him racking up a lot of "easy" sacks

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

what Darrisaw had to say about him was wonderful!

Hopefully it's a sign of Turner trying to add more pass rush moves to his game. Not having a rush plan and a lack of moves was his biggest knock coming out.

I also can't recall seeing Dallas using a spin move in the college tape I've seen