2024 Ravens Draft - 30th Pick - Nate Wiggins

Nate Wiggins, 20 years old (08/28/03)
6’1 1/2” 182 lbs, 4.28s 40, *20 years old*

I didn’t key in on the CB class, however from what I saw Wiggins was the best corner in the draft class.

What I didn’t realize however was that he’s only 20 years old and was consistently 2-3 years younger than guys he was competing against.

For him to be so good at such a young age, it makes sense that the Ravens weren’t on the clock for a very long time. Many prospects are still growing into their frames at 20 and so him getting to 190-195 lbs, perhaps even prior to the start of the season would not be unprecedented.

Welcome to Baltimore!

• Like 2

Pretty happy with this pick. Cornerback was where I felt the team needed to go in the first given the sketchy depth of the class (especially in regards to fits for the Ravens). Wiggins lined up nicely as a need and it's hard to argue against him in the BPA argument. Really good prospect that checks all the boxes I want for a coverage guy. 

Now, DeJean was/is pretty high on my list but I get passing on him. If the team doesn't see him as a pure cover guy then that's not the role that they were looking to fill. Having him and Hamilton trading off would have been great... but maybe is still can be? I know, not going to happen, but let me dream.

Marlon and Kyle Hamilton were also 20 when drafted, it's a winning strategy. Draft super young big school players already producing on the field against top competition. 

It's hard to find any real fault in Wiggins' profile, especially when you're talking about a CB picked at 30. He has longer arms than Anthony Averret another(much less talented) speed demon who had success in our system and we've turned plenty of CBs into better tacklers post draft. His coverage stats are great, athleticism is elite, turns 21 in Sept, high motor, and he's mad he didn't go higher- which never hurts. A great talent that's only going to get bigger stronger faster.

I just can't believe we went from never drafting Clemson players to picking two in back to back drafts. Trenton Simpson will get to see a familiar face.

super happy with the position considering the uncertainty of Stephens extending on reasonable numbers and Humphrey being a walking injury recently.

we'll need a top secondary with the bleak outlook of Oweh and Ojabo ever becoming more than just depth.

This feels like the Marlon pick in '17 where we weren't really talking a ton about this guy leading up to the draft so everyone's just like "ok, that works" but ends up as a really good player for us. His coverage ability is really top notch. If this guy can hold up physically and put on some weight I think this ends up as a hell of a pick.

Ideal scenario for the rest of the draft: get OL and WR tonight, trade a 4th or 5th for Matt Judon on day 3

His wirey frame reminds me a bit of Marcus Peters, although I think his upside is higher.

I like that comp also because Peters came in with the rep of not always being a good tackler but with the Ravens I thought he did a great job throwing his body around to make hits in a way that protects himself.

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

His wirey frame reminds me a bit of Marcus Peters, although I think his upside is higher.

I like that comp also because Peters came in with the rep of not always being a good tackler but with the Ravens I thought he did a great job throwing his body around to make hits in a way that protects himself.

Better comparable based on my analysis of him were Jaire Alexander and Denzel Ward.

Though I get your point about tackling. Though even with that, he went to tackle Legette and laid the wood. So I think it’s more of a small size and playing smart thing vs genuinely avoiding tackles.

His hustle plays show that he’s a locked in player, he just plays the game like a WR that knows going out of bounds vs lowering his shoulder for the extra 2 yards probably isn’t the best idea over a full NFL career.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...