NFCN Rivals 2024

dll2000

I noticed that is a trend with a lot of teams.  Sometimes owners really open the pocket books because they want to win.  It usually only lasts 4 or 5 years for most.  

Browns have been spending a lot more than others in recent years.  (According to charts I have seen).  I don’t expect that to last indefinitely. 

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I don’t think so.  

You can either pay more upfront that doesn’t count as much or really whittle down inconvenient cap hits by adding years into future as needed or just cutting or trading guys or using post June 1st cuts. And there is always more future to put cap money into until the end.

Teams all stay within a certain range, but some definitely spend more than others in real annual dollars paid out to players on or off the team. 

Some people put out those numbers from time to time, they are hard to find.  

The cap is real, but more real for some than others.

Cowboys used to spend more than many others.  They started taking more profit in recent years from team as son took over finances.  Cowboys fans definitely noticed.  

What I'm saying though is that every dollar attributable to the cap is accounted for eventually in one way or another by one team or another.  They can kick the can down the road but in the end that can has to be picked up.

A June 1st cut only reduces a cap hit it for that year doesn't eliminate it right?  The rest is picked up the following year.  Dead Cap is most typically unamortized bonus money or guaranteed monies accounted for if a player is released or traded.

It's all there.  The rest of the scheme is simply how best to account for it.

57 minutes ago, soulman said:

What I'm saying though is that every dollar attributable to the cap is accounted for eventually in one way or another by one team or another.  They can kick the can down the road but in the end that can has to be picked up.

A June 1st cut only reduces a cap hit it for that year doesn't eliminate it right?  The rest is picked up the following year.  Dead Cap is most typically unamortized bonus money or guaranteed monies accounted for if a player is released or traded.

It's all there.  The rest of the scheme is simply how best to account for it.

I don't think so.   I don't have time, but as an experiment look at actual money paid to Rodgers by Green Bay versus the total cap hits they took.  I don't think it balances.

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I don't think so.   I don't have time, but as an experiment look at actual money paid to Rodgers by Green Bay versus the total cap hits they took.  I don't think it balances.

If GB paid it then it should be charged to GB somewhere.  I'll see what I can find.

• Like 1

Let's not kid ourselves...Love looked good last year and if he continues to progress and become even more consistent he will be a problem for a long time to come...but at the same time $55 million a year for a QB who clearly isn't top 5 right now...that is a lot of money and hopefully prevents GB from keeping as much talent around him.

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Let's not kid ourselves...Love looked good last year and if he continues to progress and become even more consistent he will be a problem for a long time to come...but at the same time $55 million a year for a QB who clearly isn't top 5 right now...that is a lot of money and hopefully prevents GB from keeping as much talent around him.

He won’t have a $50M+ cap hit until probably 2027 though. And by then the cap will be $300M or more. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Love showed enough last year to get paid IMO.  

They had more than last year to observe, but they didn’t even want to pull trigger on 5th year option earlier.  Led to a lot of speculation that he wasn’t good.

And he really didn’t look good in several games.  But to his credit he turned it around as year went on.

From Packers brass perspective you still wish you had more of a body of work before you pull that trigger.  They really had small choice if they wanted him this year.  No way he plays for 13 million in 2024. 

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Love showed enough last year to get paid IMO.  

They had more than last year to observe, but they didn’t even want to pull trigger on 5th year option earlier.  Led to a lot of speculation that he wasn’t good.

And he really didn’t look good in several games.  But to his credit he turned it around as year went on.

From Packers brass perspective you still wish you had more of a body of work before you pull that trigger.  They really had small choice if they wanted him this year.  No way he plays for 13 million in 2024. 

Yup.  Fully agreed on all points.

On 7/27/2024 at 3:04 AM, Madmike90 said:

MLF is easily the best playcaller in the NFCN too, which makes it much more likely that Love becomes a consistent pain in the ***. Offensive playcalling HC and getting a great OL coach to be OC has been the formula I have been calling for years, but the Bears hired Marc ******* Trestman and Andy Reid's coffee boy when they hired offensive minds. 🙄

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just thinking about this.

In 2022 Poles and Kwesi started same time and drafted a lot of same positions.

Bears drafted:

Safety  - Brisker  2nd   Starter 

CB - Gordan   2nd        Starter

OL - Braxton Jones/OT  5th    Starter

MN drafted:

Safety - Cine   1st     Cut

CB - Booth  2nd    Cut

OL - Ingram/OG 2nd    Starter

In 2024

Bears drafted

QB - Caleb  1st Starter

Edge - Booker 5th - Back up

MN drafted

QB - McCarthy - 1st  (hurt - likely back up in 2024 in any event)

Edge - Dallas Turner - 1st  (Likely the starter)

MN 2023 - First Round WR Jordan Addison  

Bears 2024 - First Round WR Rome Odunze 

• 2 weeks later...

GB v Philly thoughts:

Field was ridiculously slippery.  Guys should have went max length cleats from start.

Hurts tried every way he could to lose that game.  He is weak point on a stacked team.   I seriously think Fields is better than him.  Philly is awesome save for QB, that game should not have been close. 

Barkley is awesome.  

We have better officiating in little league. Both side are going to be mad, but it was bad both ways.  Just some ridiculous calls.  I suspect they are being over regulated and are scared not to throw flags which is ridiculous.  Many calls were just head scratchers.  What did you see there Bob? 

I hate GB, but it sucks that Love got hurt in first game.  

The kickoff touchback to 30 is just stupid.  I can’t believe they had multiple zoom meetings with everyone after preseason and couldn’t see the obvious answer that everyone was going to kick to end zone.    What a waste of time.  

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

GB v Philly thoughts:

Field was ridiculously slippery.  Guys should have went max length cleats from start.

Hurts tried every way he could to lose that game.  He is weak point on a stacked team.   I seriously think Fields is better than him.  Philly is awesome save for QB, that game should not have been close. 

Barkley is awesome.  

We have better officiating in little league. Both side are going to be mad, but it was bad both ways.  Just some ridiculous calls.  I suspect they are being over regulated and are scared not to throw flags which is ridiculous.  Many calls were just head scratchers.  What did you see there Bob? 

I hate GB, but it sucks that Love got hurt in first game.  

The kickoff touchback to 30 is just stupid.  I can’t believe they had multiple zoom meetings with everyone after preseason and couldn’t see the obvious answer that everyone was going to kick to end zone.    What a waste of time.  

If you really want to make teams return the ball, make a touchback the same as kicking the ball out of bounds. Ball at the 40.