NFCN Rivals 2024

dll2000

Morgan was an interesting and surprise pick by Packs.  I honestly know nothing about him. 

Detroit has been drafting well under this GM.  I don’t like it.  

MN has great coaches.  Their current GM kinda sucks at drafting. Maybe worst in NFL.  I will say they got lucky they had to give up nothing for JJ.   But it shows they didn’t read the market and their intelligence network failed.   Now they have few picks next year. AND I believe their true target was Drake Maye and they didn’t get their man.  So they settled.  I don’t know about settling at QB.  Maybe just punt. They waited at least a year too long to move on from Cousins.  Just bad strategy. 

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Morgan was an interesting and surprise pick by Packs.  I honestly know nothing about him. 

Detroit has been drafting well under this GM.  I don’t like it.  

MN has great coaches.  Their current GM kinda sucks at drafting. Maybe worst in NFL.  I will say they got lucky they had to give up nothing for JJ.   But it shows they didn’t read the market and their intelligence network failed.   Now they have few picks next year. AND I believe their true target was Drake Maye and they didn’t get their man.  So they settled.  I don’t know about settling at QB.  Maybe just punt. They waited at least a year too long to move on from Cousins.  Just bad strategy. 

I didn't watch much of Morgan since I knew he wasn't going to be in a range for CHI, but the little I did watch he looked really smooth. Likely an annoyingly good pick for GB.

Yeah, Arnold was a solid pick for them. They got their guy at their biggest positional need so another solid start to their draft.

I'm not a huge JJ fan but I do think O'Connell is a damn good playcaller, so JJ makes a ton of sense for them. He has the tools, and now gets to walk into a team with Jefferson and Addision? That sucks, but seeing Turner fall to them was what ticked me off. I would have had no qualms about him at 1.9 and he drops to them that far? dammit! lol

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

I didn't watch much of Morgan since I knew he wasn't going to be in a range for CHI, but the little I did watch he looked really smooth. Likely an annoyingly good pick for GB.

Yeah, Arnold was a solid pick for them. They got their guy at their biggest positional need so another solid start to their draft.

I'm not a huge JJ fan but I do think O'Connell is a damn good playcaller, so JJ makes a ton of sense for them. He has the tools, and now gets to walk into a team with Jefferson and Addision? That sucks, but seeing Turner fall to them was what ticked me off. I would have had no qualms about him at 1.9 and he drops to them that far? dammit! lol

Turner is certainly talented.   Remains to be seen if he develops.  I think he is so talented it would be hard for him to be bad.   

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

MN has great coaches.  Their current GM kinda sucks at drafting. Maybe worst in NFL. 

hmmm... you're pretty much the only "analyst" who feel our GM didn't do his job extremely well last night...

The relatively boring night—outside of Atlanta’s shocker—worked out in Minnesota’s favor. After New England held onto the third pick and took North Carolina QB Drake Maye, it looked as if the Vikings would have to make a desperate move up the board to jump in front of other QB-needy teams to land their guy. If Minnesota general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah had been reading the same mock drafts (with trades!) that I had been reading for the last few months, maybe he would have felt pressured into making such a deal. But he didn’t need to.

“Obviously, there were a lot of things outside of our control, so we wanted to make sure that we were ready for every scenario,” Adofo-Mensah said of Minnesota’s night. “We’re through the moon with what happened. We were able to add a cornerstone piece of the franchise in a quarterback who’s got a lot of potential, a lot of ability, who’s won at a high level in a lot of different places.”

The best part: Minnesota didn’t have to give up any Day 1 or Day 2 picks on Thursday night to get McCarthy. The Vikings went on to draft Dallas Turner with the 17th pick after swinging a trade with the Jaguars to move up six spots—a deal that may not have been possible if Adofo-Mensah had traded up for McCarthy in the top five. Brian Flores will surely be happy about adding Turner. The blitz-happy defensive coordinator needed more talent along his front, and the team just delivered a do-it-all edge defender with the athleticism to drop into coverage.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/4/26/24141127/winners-losers-nfl-draft-first-round-michael-penix-atlanta-falcons-caleb-williams-chicago-bears

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

hmmm... you're pretty much the only "analyst" who feel our GM didn't do his job extremely well last night...

The relatively boring night—outside of Atlanta’s shocker—worked out in Minnesota’s favor. After New England held onto the third pick and took North Carolina QB Drake Maye, it looked as if the Vikings would have to make a desperate move up the board to jump in front of other QB-needy teams to land their guy. If Minnesota general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah had been reading the same mock drafts (with trades!) that I had been reading for the last few months, maybe he would have felt pressured into making such a deal. But he didn’t need to.

“Obviously, there were a lot of things outside of our control, so we wanted to make sure that we were ready for every scenario,” Adofo-Mensah said of Minnesota’s night. “We’re through the moon with what happened. We were able to add a cornerstone piece of the franchise in a quarterback who’s got a lot of potential, a lot of ability, who’s won at a high level in a lot of different places.”

The best part: Minnesota didn’t have to give up any Day 1 or Day 2 picks on Thursday night to get McCarthy. The Vikings went on to draft Dallas Turner with the 17th pick after swinging a trade with the Jaguars to move up six spots—a deal that may not have been possible if Adofo-Mensah had traded up for McCarthy in the top five. Brian Flores will surely be happy about adding Turner. The blitz-happy defensive coordinator needed more talent along his front, and the team just delivered a do-it-all edge defender with the athleticism to drop into coverage.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/4/26/24141127/winners-losers-nfl-draft-first-round-michael-penix-atlanta-falcons-caleb-williams-chicago-bears

2024 comes with a lot of risk reward.  His track record overall hasn’t been good IMO.  

I applaud getting JJ without giving up anything of note.  But he is still 4th QB.  You would have rather had someone else.  Maye I think.  

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Turner is certainly talented.   Remains to be seen if he develops.  I think he is so talented it would be hard for him to be bad.   

And Flores isn't one to drop him in coverage or get cute. He likes to blitz a TON so Turner will get to pin his ears back. I think Turner is a pain in the *** for the next 12 years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

And Flores isn't one to drop him in coverage or get cute. He likes to blitz a TON so Turner will get to pin his ears back. I think Turner is a pain in the *** for the next 12 years.

Flores will drop him.  Flores is difficult because he so aggressive.  He sends 7 and drops 8 alternatively.

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Flores will drop him.  Flores is difficult because he so aggressive.  He sends 7 and drops 8 alternatively.

If you throw only fastballs even if you throw 100 you can get timing.  Flores goes fastball change up.  

19 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Lewis Cine, Andrew Booth, etc. say hi.  But the Vikings really haven't drafted well since KAM was hired.  It remains to be seen if this year's class will be the one to turn things around.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Lewis Cine, Andrew Booth, etc. say hi.  But the Vikings really haven't drafted well since KAM was hired.  It remains to be seen if this year's class will be the one to turn things around.

He flubbed basically an entire draft. That is rough.  

16 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Turner said last night he was told (jokingly) prepare to go after the QB's when you get off the plane in Minny.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He flubbed basically an entire draft. That is rough.  

I don't really care about that.  He really had only been in the building for 90 days when that draft occurred.  Obviously, your guy Poles was in the same position and he did a little better initially.  However, I still have some faith in the guys drafted in 2022 that are still on the team to be able to contribute.  They have 1 solid starter in Ingram and they got a bunch of guys who still have the opportunity to contribute significantly (Cine, Booth, Asamoah, Evans, Chander, Nailor and Muse)...they've just taken longer to develop.  The last handful of Spielman's drafts were just as bad, if not worse.  They got some hits certainly in Darrisaw and JJ, but also a lot of guys that never developed at all. 

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Turner said last night he was told (jokingly) prepare to go after the QB's when you get off the plane in Minny.

I was joking with my brother that Flores hates QBs so much Turner might not be allowed to sit next to JJ when they do their first conference in MIN. 

I may have been right. lol 

Whole NFCN draft…

1.1 Caleb Williams. franchise savior. No concerns as of now, like I had with Fields and Trubisky. 
1.9 Rome Odunze. hard not to like. High character kid. Scrappy. Good crisp route runner. Not as smooth or natural as Nabers but smooth enough. Decent speed. Comes down w everything. 
1.10 JJ McCarthy. Guilty until proven innocent player in that I have his ceiling as a ‘B’ overall player. Watching him just really kinda gives me Taylor Heinicke vibes on some level, although he’ll surely outplay that. 
1.17 Dallas Turner. Great pickup. I would’ve been fine w him at 9, 17 is great value. Fast edge, good pass rush moves, power, and bend. 
1.24 Terrion Arnold. Yeah, I don’t like this one. Good man corner, physical. Not the fastest but sticks to his guy on intermediates like glue. 
1.25 Jordan Morgan. I love packers drafts where I can celebrate who they take, or don’t take. I also have been known to have the packers draft some no name undrafted prospect from utep a&m state as a gag for my mocks and this was kinda like that. He’ll obviously go on to dominate and crush my dreams, but for now I feel a little elated.