NFCN Rivals 2024

dll2000

On 7/21/2024 at 7:59 AM, AZBearsFan said:

I still think Verse will be a better pro. I think what he does well translates really well to the NFL, even if it doesn’t have the flash of Turner. 

He would've been a better fit for the Bears scheme at any rate.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

https://x.com/AlbertBreer/status/1815393005399855485

"Packers GM Brian Gutekunst tells reporters that Jordan Love's agents informed the team Saturday that he will not practice until a new deal gets done."

lol

Take out the old checkbook Brian.

This is one problem with shelving a rookie QB for three years.  It's time to pay him the big money but he's only had one productive season and you have to make a decision based on that.  If you're wrong you have a very expensive albatross.

Can't blame Love either.  He has all the leverage he needs to score a very big deal.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I guess I’m not sure why it’s an “lol”?

He took the team deal they wanted last year to prove that he had what was needed to be their franchise QB. He did that, so the new full deal was the end result of that gamble (from both sides). Seems like everyone knew that he wouldn’t play another snap till he gets a real contract. 

1) I'm allowed to take pleasure in GB's misfortune

2) The prospect that they have to pay him potentially the biggest QB contract of all time for a half season of good play is a massive risk.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TankWilliams said:

1) I'm allowed to take pleasure in GB's misfortune

2) The prospect that they have to pay him potentially the biggest QB contract of all time for a half season of good play is a massive risk.  

Yea, thats fine, but I guess I dont see the situation of paying JLove as "misfortune". As I said, they all knew this one of the very few outcomes of doing the contract that they did last year.

Now, how much they have to pay him, that I can get behind as the 'lol' sentiment

Edited by StLunatic88

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He should take a $50 million home town discount.

6th highest aav? Nah. Reset the market. $60

32 minutes ago, soulman said:

Whatever he gets these QB deals are getting scary.  With a $250 mil cap a $50 mil deal chews up 20% of the entire cap on one player.  That's far too much.

None of these guys’ cap hits are ever actually $50M. Here's Justin Herbert’s 5/$262M extension (signed in 2023) for example. Despite being worth $52.4M annually on average, since it was an extension on a deal with 2 years left he won’t hit a $50M cap number until 2027, and that assumes it doesn’t get reworked before then:

IMG-5965.jpg

A lot of funny money in those AAV numbers. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

None of these guys’ cap hits are ever actually $50M. Here's Justin Herbert’s 5/$262M extension (signed in 2023) for example. Despite being worth $52.4M annually on average, since it was an extension on a deal with 2 years left he won’t hit a $50M cap number until 2027, and that assumes it doesn’t get reworked before then:

IMG-5965.jpg

Yeah, I know it rarely does but the God's honest truth is that eventually every dime needs to be accounted for somewhere in the cap.  It's either gonna come during the term of the contract or at the end as dead money if released or sometimes traded.

15 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

IMG-5965.jpg

Two guys can get same money, but have radically different cap hits. 

Why I say cap is both real and fake.  It can be gamed by owners who are willing.  It costs more to game it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Two guys can get same money, but have radically different cap hits. 

Why I say cap is both real and fake.  It can be gamed by owners who are willing.  It costs more to game it. 

More like almost infinitely malleable simply by using structure to the teams advantage as much as possible.  But all any team can do is delay the inevitable to a more convenient time.  Cap management will be Poles next big challenge.  Pace pretty much failed his test.

12 hours ago, soulman said:

More like almost infinitely malleable simply by using structure to the teams advantage as much as possible.  But all any team can do is delay the inevitable to a more convenient time.  Cap management will be Poles next big challenge.  Pace pretty much failed his test.

I don’t think so.  

You can either pay more upfront that doesn’t count as much or really whittle down inconvenient cap hits by adding years into future as needed or just cutting or trading guys or using post June 1st cuts. And there is always more future to put cap money into until the end.

Teams all stay within a certain range, but some definitely spend more than others in real annual dollars paid out to players on or off the team. 

Some people put out those numbers from time to time, they are hard to find.  

The cap is real, but more real for some than others.

Cowboys used to spend more than many others.  They started taking more profit in recent years from team as son took over finances.  Cowboys fans definitely noticed.