Raiders LT Donald Penn out for season with foot injury

RaidersAreOne

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000895202/article/donald-penn-foot-to-undergo-seasonending-surgery

Donald Penn's season is over.

Oakland's rock at left tackle is undergoing foot surgery scheduled for Thursday and will miss the remainder of the regular season, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. Penn suffered the injury during the Raiders' close loss to the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday night.

As a result, Penn will miss a regular season game for the first time as a Raider. One of the league's most reliable pass protectors, Penn hasn't missed a regular season start since the 2007 season.

This really sucks. He has been a rock at LT over the past couple years, although he is declining. SUrprisngly, RT Newhouse shifted to LT after Penn went down, and looked pretty solid. Regardless both Tackle positions need to be addressed for the long term.

I wonder if A) Penn continues his playing career next season B) If it will be with the Raiders c) How fast is he going to regress if he does stay.

36 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

As much as he's struggled, the backup LT has been much, much worse.  This could get really ugly playing @PHI and @LAC (not that it's a real road game, but a meaningless game to OAK with Bosa/Ingram vs. those T's...yikes).

Penn hasn't been very poor? He's no longer a top 10 LT, but he's serviceable. Newhouse slide over and arguably looked better than Penn. 

But I agree they will likely struggle against the next 2 D-lines. 

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Penn hasn't been very poor? He's no longer a top 10 LT, but he's serviceable. Newhouse slide over and arguably looked better than Penn. 

But I agree they will likely struggle against the next 2 D-lines. 

Fair enough on Newhouse being OK vs. DAL, but as he's your RT, when Newhouse plays LT,  who plays RT?  If the point was backup T rather than LT, OK.   Either way, though, the T play is the weak spot for the D to attack.   It's not like DEN is any better, we're in the same boat lol....so after seeing it for 14 games on our end, I can see it coming for OAK now.

4 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

There goes the Raiders playoff chances 

Oh, we were dead in the water a fortnight ago realistically!

I can see us starting with Newhouse at LT and Vadal Alexander at RT, they went relatively unnoticed against Dallas which is usually a great sign for an OL, and I don't recall any false start or holding calls on them either. Sharpe may see some playing time but it will be a test now that teams can gameplan to attack them specifically. I prescribe lots of Marshawn Lynch and playaction :)

14 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Oh, we were dead in the water a fortnight ago realistically!

I can see us starting with Newhouse at LT and Vadal Alexander at RT, they went relatively unnoticed against Dallas which is usually a great sign for an OL, and I don't recall any false start or holding calls on them either. Sharpe may see some playing time but it will be a test now that teams can gameplan to attack them specifically. I prescribe lots of Marshawn Lynch and playaction :)

Todd Downing disagrees. :)

Sucks for Penn but I think he might be done

9 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Todd Downing disagrees. :)

Sucks for Penn but I think he might be done

You're probably right about Downing S&B88 but we can all wish right???? :)

Penn was playing pretty well the last few weeks I thought, so it would be a shame if his career was to end this way.

9 hours ago, N4L said:

It's the raiders wide receivers who have had problems catching things this year 

That's definitely true, our receivers seem to have forgotten how to catch.  But that doesn't cover up for the fact that Carr hasn't been up to snuff either.  Most of our offense has performed below expectations, which really makes me hone in on Todd Downing.  Guy wasn't/isn't ready.  Execution has been poor for the most part but I can't help but feel like he's the greatest culprit.  He also just hates PA for some reason.  Overall, our whole offense is a massive L this year and there's not much we can do other than take it on the chin and move on.  Individually, our players need to work very hard this offseason.  And we should be looking into making offensive coaching staff changes, whether its replacing Downing, or bringing in another guy to help or usurp him. Though, the latter seems kinda scummy.   We did that with KNJ this year which felt like a compromise. "Mark/Reggie, he's my friend, I can't fire him.  I'll get a backup plan, I promise."

Archived