The Bears-Offense

On 6/10/2024 at 12:11 PM, beardown3231 said:

Are you of the opinion that Fields' rookie year was not horrendous? That is factual

If you believe Caleb will be horrendous this season, yes that's certainly your opinion. I doubt many share it though

Caleb is better prepared to play, is better and has already had more first team reps than Fields got in his rookie year (prior to season).  He is getting 100% of coaching attention.  

It would be interesting if same thing happens to McCarthy.  Darnold gets hurt like 3 games in and they throw McCarthy in.

At least MN has a good Oline.   Fields went against Myles Garrett and Clowney going against Jason Peters just getting off a boat in retirement and Ifedi.

LOL.  Poor guy.  That was rough.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Caleb is better prepared to play, is better and has already had more first team reps than Fields got in his rookie year (prior to season).  He is getting 100% of coaching attention.  

It would be interesting if same thing happens to McCarthy.  Darnold gets hurt like 3 games in and they throw McCarthy in.

At least MN has a good Oline.   Fields went against Myles Garrett and Clowney going against Jason Peters just getting off a boat in retirement and Ifedi.

And to top it off, CLE totaled like 350 yards more than CHI's putrid performance. I remember being livid they kept using Kmet to block Garrett one on one. Disgusting.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dll2000 said:

They single blocked Clowney and Garrett all game too. It was like they wanted him to fail to show why he wasn’t playing from jump. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

They single blocked Clowney and Garrett all game too. It was like they wanted him to fail to show why he wasn’t playing from jump. 

That whole game, and the decisions about QB leading up to it, were so bizarre and should be bronzed and hung in the Alarming Coaching HOF.  Do you remember how strange it was that we're hearing Fields was clearly the most talented QB, but they wouldn't give him starting reps, but then they made him like QB2 so that he could get scout team reps, but they still knew he wasn't ready so didn't want to start him until Dalton broke his leg on a non contact play...  Then somehow faced with the decsion to play either the rookie they didn't give meaningful reps to who definitely wasn't ready OR a backup QB with possibly the best backup QB performance of all time, they somehow pick the FIRST option.  And then in that game, like you said,  the most galaxy brain **** ever where I'm convinced they hit "send" on the game plan and thought to themselves "Cleveland will never see this coming, not ever, they know that we'd have to be insane to give him not extra protection or easy completions!" 

I've heard several meatbally types say that Matt Nagy experienced some sort of brain breaking moment with the double doink. It sounds dumb, but damn if they don't have a point. 

• Like 2

It's only about a week or 2 of training, so I expect Caleb to improve a lot when he comes back.

Here is what I am expecting from Caleb after the starter's reps and having top WR/TE/RB group with a so-so OL, along with a good QB OCoordinator.

3700 pass yards.  25TDs. 10INTs.  3 RushingTDs. This should be a new rookie passing record .... in 17 games.  If Caleb can do that, then he's better than JF1. 

I think Caleb has 80% chance of doing just that.

Also, if he does that and the defense is top10, I think the Bears have a good chance of making the playoff.

Yeah... no Super Bowl prediction from me...lolz ahaahaha... I can't believe some people even think about that lolz ahaha🤣

• Like 1

Fields and that Cleveland game are ancient history and no one will ever argue that Nagy and Pace didn't totally phuc up his rookie year.  How much that mattered in the long run is yet to be known but at the very least it hindered JF development in Chicago.  Poles has shown far more wisdom.  Instead of spending money on a vet bridge QB has Pace did multiple times Poles committed to playing CW day one and to surrounding him with as much talent as he could possibly find and afford.  I think we'll see the difference this year.

10 hours ago, soulman said:

Fields and that Cleveland game are ancient history and no one will ever argue that Nagy and Pace didn't totally phuc up his rookie year.  How much that mattered in the long run is yet to be known but at the very least it hindered JF development in Chicago.  Poles has shown far more wisdom.  Instead of spending money on a vet bridge QB has Pace did multiple times Poles committed to playing CW day one and to surrounding him with as much talent as he could possibly find and afford.  I think we'll see the difference this year.

It still remains a mystery to me why people thinking sitting behind Aaron Rodgers or Alex Smith (don't laugh he was good in 2017) is an effect you can replicate by sitting someone behind Mike Glennon or Andy Dalton or Sam Darnold. Can only hope for the likes of JJ McCarthy that the pressure in MN is just lower than places like Chicago, as I still think he's going to get about 6 games on the bench learning about ghostbusting and then get thrown in. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

It still remains a mystery to me why people thinking sitting behind Aaron Rodgers or Alex Smith (don't laugh he was good in 2017) is an effect you can replicate by sitting someone behind Mike Glennon or Andy Dalton or Sam Darnold. Can only hope for the likes of JJ McCarthy that the pressure in MN is just lower than places like Chicago, as I still think he's going to get about 6 games on the bench learning about ghostbusting and then get thrown in. 

damn, i was just about to start laughing then i saw you told us not to

On 6/12/2024 at 6:52 PM, JibjeResearch said:

It's only about a week or 2 of training, so I expect Caleb to improve a lot when he comes back.

Here is what I am expecting from Caleb after the starter's reps and having top WR/TE/RB group with a so-so OL, along with a good QB OCoordinator.

3700 pass yards.  25TDs. 10INTs.  3 RushingTDs. This should be a new rookie passing record .... in 17 games.  If Caleb can do that, then he's better than JF1. 

I think Caleb has 80% chance of doing just that.

Also, if he does that and the defense is top10, I think the Bears have a good chance of making the playoff.

Yeah... no Super Bowl prediction from me...lolz ahaahaha... I can't believe some people even think about that lolz ahaha🤣

"If Caleb has a rookie year 10x the one Fields had, only then will he be better"

46 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

"If Caleb has a rookie year 10x the one Fields had, only then will he be better"

Honestly I'd settle for 7x Fields. Just enough to warrant not drafting Williams' replacement in 2025. 

5 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Yes.  Those guys were A) way better and B) already there and in the system and with the team.  They aren't going through orientation at same time as a rookie QB.  

Rodgers and Smith required minimal coaching at that point in those locations.  The offensive coaches can focus more on the rookie's development in practice in those situations.  

I remember Glennon learning the system.  He said he was starting from scratch.   Fox and Gase needed to get Glennon ready to play game 1 with just a few months to do it.   Trubisky is an after thought.   Same with Dalton.  

Insane plan of development for a first round early pick QB.  You nearly just threw away a year.

I am happy MN is doing it.  Atl too.

If Cousins was still in MN on last year of his deal or even two years out and MN drafted Penix or McCarthy at 10.   That makes sense.

Cousins doesn't need to learn KOC system or get to know his MN teammates and city.  There is time to spend in development.

Or you get Dallas situation.   Romo got hurt on a loaded team and Dak took reigns and never gave them back.   Not sure that really helps my case.  I think Dak did so well early because they had a loaded team - great Oline and running game.  But he deserves credit as well.  

Could be all this is nonsense and overthinking (other than people do need some time to learn new things).  Mahomes was always going to be good regardless.  Maybe Love too.   Maybe Trubisky and Fields just aren't that good and would have been bad regardless. Trubisky seems to be confirmed.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Yes.  Those guys were A) way better and B) already there and in the system and with the team.  They aren't going through orientation at same time as a rookie QB.  

Rodgers and Smith required minimal coaching at that point in those locations.  The offensive coaches can focus more on the rookie's development in practice in those situations.  

I remember Glennon learning the system.  He said he was starting from scratch.   Fox and Gase needed to get Glennon ready to play game 1 with just a few months to do it.   Trubisky is an after thought.   Same with Dalton.

Good point.  If they were gonna need to teach the vet a new offense why not just teach the rookie like we're doing now.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2024 at 3:25 PM, Epyon said:

OL AND DL are going to be what decides this season imo....

The entire OL either has big question marks (the interior), or no depth behind them (the tackles)....... The DL is basically Sweat followed by a whole lot of nothing proven.... Can Dexter be the 3T? Can Booker as a mid-late rookie become edge #2?. Can't really say I'm thrilled with the depth there either...  Both units are also unironically the weakest parts of their respective sides of the ball, and it could get real ugly really quick with even a single injury, let alone potentially two or three.

I think the OL is underrated. TJ and Wright are studs, Brax and Davis are good to very good. Shelton is a solid starter, Bates is EXcellent depth, Kiran Amegadjie is a fantastic prospect and Matt Pryor will be fighting HARD for his NFL life ...barring catastrophic injuries we should be a top 10 unit 👍🏻

We def need to add 2 more pieces to the DL and we will. I'm sure they want to see Dex in pads, Pickens too before acquiring the right IDL fit for them and Billings. We will also add a vet Edge at some point. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

I think the OL is underrated. TJ and Wright are studs, Brax and Davis are good to very good. Shelton is a solid starter, Bates is EXcellent depth, Kiran Amegadjie is a fantastic prospect and Matt Pryor will be fighting HARD for his NFL life ...barring catastrophic injuries we should be a top 10 unit 👍🏻

We def need to add 2 more pieces to the DL and we will. I'm sure they want to see Dex in pads, Pickens too before acquiring the right IDL fit for them and Billings. We will also add a vet Edge at some point. 

Idk. Davis in his last year with the Titans looked good, but last year he rarely did. Maybe off the field issues affected his play more than most but I would put Jim at average at best right now. Idk much about Shelton or Bates. Jenkins and Wright have a TON of potential, but Jenkins is often hurt and Wright is young so mistakes are inevitable.

I'm not sure if they will be top 10 but it wouldn't shock me, I'm just happy the OL won't be like 2022 where the 5 OL played took turns where 1 guy gets his *** whooped right off the bat every play.

• Like 1

Other than the ability of the starting five to stay uninjured I'm not all that concerned with the OL.  Other than the injuries OC and inexperience were the biggest problem last year.  Davis is actually a very good run blocker.  Where he failed much of the time last year was in his pass blocking but he had a rookie RT next to him and a couple of OC who weren't much help.

Within reason Poles did what he could in the offseason to resolve at least some of those issues when he brought in experienced FA at OT and OC/OG, traded for Bates, drafted Amegadie and signed UDFA Benedet.  That's a whole lot of new faces who weren't here last year competing for roster and PS spots.  There may be more talent there than we realize just yet.

• Like 1