The Bears-Offense

I got an Urlacher jersey for a super bowl party at work when Bears were playing Colts.   I knew we were going to get smoked so I wasn't super enthused for the game.  

I got it at Target for like $15.00.

I still have a practice jersey and jersey from my first High School and my jersey from my second HS.

Never been into buyingp jerseys.  Too cheap.  

My parents got me a Jim McMahon one in '85 when I sang his part in Superbowl shuffle at school.  (Most every school I knew of did this).   The '85 Bears were insanely popular that year in Northern IL.  

Not even the Jordan Bulls ever met that level of excitement.  Bulls had a wider following and international following.   But locally, I have never seen anything ever come close to 1985 and the Bears sports wise.

I can't describe it adequately.  You would have to have lived it. 

The best comparison I can make to describe the feeling and attitude was like if you or your kids was playing on a HS team.  That team was a state championship caliber team, you knew they were a state championship team and they ran the table on way to the trophy.  With the local papers writing articles about them every day and interviewing them every week for local news.   

People were into the '85 Bears in '85 like that.  2007 was fun, but it was nothing like that.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

My parents got me a Jim McMahon one in '85 when I sang his part in Superbowl shuffle at school.  (Most every school I knew of did this).   The '85 Bears were insanely popular that year in Northern IL.  

Not even the Jordan Bulls ever met that level of excitement.  Bulls had a wider following and international following.   But locally, I have never seen anything ever come close to 1985 and the Bears sports wise.

I can agree and confirm everything that is stated here. '85 was insane in the city. Like nothing that I have seen in Chicago since. I was a huge fan of the championship run Bulls but the atmosphere was no where near as electric as '85.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the linked article is correct about Keenan Allen.

The Bears' Oline is so inconsistent.  If Allen is durable and consistently good with CW, the Bears are better off signing Allen and then draft the OL an DL next year.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bears-pro-bowl-wr-likely-won-t-return-in-2025-one-and-done-situation/ar-AA1ogCNC

The case for Teven Jenkins.

If he plays 16 games this year and looks like his injuries are not an issue, I think the Bears should sign him to $15/year. 

Matt Pryor, Bates, and Amegadjie can play OG.... Also, CW can manipulate and escape the pocket pretty well--great for an above average OL.

And... the Bears have 1, 2, 2, and 3 rounders to replace 1 or 2 OGs. 

The Bears have many options.

1 hour ago, JibjeResearch said:

The case for Teven Jenkins.

If he plays 16 games this year and looks like his injuries are not an issue, I think the Bears should sign him to $15/year. 

Counter point: DONT SPEND MONEY ON GUARDS

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JibjeResearch said:

It's a fair point... since the OTs are more important.

It has no baring on Jenkins himself, it’s why he and his team fought being a Guard for so long. But I’ve never looked at a team and went “oh they signed (insert guard here), that’s the piece they were missing. They are Super Bowl Contenders now”

Id say that about an OT or a Center possibly. But absolutely never a Guard. Let someone else pay him, spend then money on a real Center for the next 5+ years and let’s keep this OL churning out replaceable talent because of the System+C+Tackles

Guess my approach to building a top OL isn't in line with what others believe.

Mine is draft good OL with upside, develop them in your scheme, and find a way to hang on to them.  You'll never build a top OL with a revolving door nearby to keep ushering in the new to replace good OL you chose not to keep.  Sure, you can keep drafting them but what happens if that 2nd round or 3rd OG is another Nate Davis?  Sometimes I think fans have far too little respect for just how difficult it can be to draft and develop a top OL.

I also don't believe OT are more important than OG or OC.  It's just more difficult to find the really good ones is all.

5 hours ago, soulman said:

Guess my approach to building a top OL isn't in line with what others believe.

Mine is draft good OL with upside, develop them in your scheme, and find a way to hang on to them.  You'll never build a top OL with a revolving door nearby to keep ushering in the new to replace good OL you chose not to keep.  Sure, you can keep drafting them but what happens if that 2nd round or 3rd OG is another Nate Davis?  Sometimes I think fans have far too little respect for just how difficult it can be to draft and develop a top OL.

I also don't believe OT are more important than OG or OC.  It's just more difficult to find the really good ones is all.

For me it’s about scarcity. There are just far more guards who are solid or better at their job than there are tackles or centers. Guard is also a position that tackles and centers can play. You seldomly see a guard who can fill in capably outside, and those guards who can play center capably usually just play center. 

There are exceptions of course, but the Zach Martins and Joe Thuneys of the world are outliers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

For me it’s about scarcity. There are just far more guards who are solid or better at their job than there are tackles or centers. Guard is also a position that tackles and centers can play. You seldomly see a guard who can fill in capably outside, and those guards who can play center capably usually just play center. 

There are exceptions of course, but the Zach Martins and Joe Thuneys of the world are outliers. 

Exactly. You can better hide an IOL that is mediocre than you can a mediocre OT as well. There are more opportunities to aid that player without drastically altering a play, but OTs are on islands. Yes you can chip with TEs but that also delays routes and puts more pressure on the QB/WRs to get open. Or you have to dedicate a role to someone like MLewis who is essentially an OT3 who catches the occasional pass. 

That being said I would love to keep every good player I can, especially when they protect a franchise QB. But there is only so much money and owners aren't usually as quick to throw money around and play cap games as I would with their money. lol 

• Like 1