5.163 - Jacob Monk [C; Duke]

CWood21

18 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

6:37-7:17 is all my concerns wrapped up into one 40 second sequence. 

Agreed @AlexGreen#20 and I'll add this one, at 5:22. Anyone who thinks Monk is a guard should watch that. Guy cannot sit and anchor. You're going to want him to be the double team guy in pass pro helping the guard with the tougher assignment and get him out and moving in to the 2nd level in run game where he has impressive foot speed and movement skills. This guy is nowhere near Myers, Jenkins or Rhyan when it comes to functional strength. 

He's a fine OL 7/8 backup center type, but we have Jenkins and Tom who can slide in and play center at an elite level and one of Walker/Morgan/Rhyan will be OL6, so it doesn't make sense to roster a center only to me. Still my least favorite pick we made last weekend. Williams and Hopper were reaches, but they'll play all 4 years of specials like Burks did. Don't know if Monk plays at all for us honestly, unless they like him enough there that they don't want to mix up the line if a center gets hurt, but he's the 4th best center on the roster.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing that is most interesting about this pick to me is, why did the Packers feel the need to trade up 5 spots in the 5th round to get him? I have to believe they were down to the end of players at a tier and felt either the Colts or Ravens who had the next two selections were likely to select him.  

10 minutes ago, R T said:

The thing that is most interesting about this pick to me is, why did the Packers feel the need to trade up 5 spots in the 5th round to get him? I have to believe they were down to the end of players at a tier and felt either the Colts or Ravens who had the next two selections were likely to select him.  

they think they can develop him, that's why.

I can see the anchor concerns, but that and technical issues with hand-placement here and there on the tape can be fixed TBH. He's not expected to start immediately, he's quick out of his stance, he understands leverage, and with a TC under his belt he should unlock a lot more with pro-coaching.

Also, what a sharp route by the receiver at :55 in the tape.

2 hours ago, Rosser80 said:

they think they can develop him, that's why.

I can see the anchor concerns, but that and technical issues with hand-placement here and there on the tape can be fixed TBH. He's not expected to start immediately, he's quick out of his stance, he understands leverage, and with a TC under his belt he should unlock a lot more with pro-coaching.

Also, what a sharp route by the receiver at :55 in the tape.

Don't think you understand the question. 

2 hours ago, R T said:

Honestly, you probably already figured out the likely answer.

3 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Honestly, you probably already figured out the likely answer.

True, but thought it might be worth some discussion. Maybe not though. 

2 minutes ago, R T said:

True, but thought it might be worth some discussion. Maybe not though. 

I'm not sure what could be left to discuss on the matter, unless you wanna go down the deep dark rabbit hole that is 'ill'-logic. Though it would be funny if Gute had to take an emergency #2 and traded up just so he wouldn't miss out on his pick.

1 hour ago, Zycho32 said:

I'm not sure what could be left to discuss on the matter, unless you wanna go down the deep dark rabbit hole that is 'ill'-logic. Though it would be funny if Gute had to take an emergency #2 and traded up just so he wouldn't miss out on his pick.

Brian ordered the "El Matador Macho Burrito with extra burro sauce..."

7 hours ago, R T said:

Gute wanted to take a cigarette break, and that 6th round pick was in the way.

5 hours ago, Zycho32 said:

After the Packers selected at 111 in the 4th until they moved up to 163 to take Monk there were 7 OL selected. Christian Jones was taken at 162. Don't know which ones were on their board, but there was a small run in the 5th round and it is possible that it was a similar situation to drafting a QB last year where someone in the FO said Clifford was the last draftable QB on their board. Monk obviously wasn't the last draftable OL, but very well could have been the last in that tier. 

If I was a reporter the first question that would come to mind for me would be to ask Monk if any teams were in contact with him before GB moved up. Just the way I'm wired about the draft. 

But I do like your idea that Gutes just needed to go drop a massive heap. We need to flood every Packers outlet with this like it is absolutely factual and keep posting it until Murphy forces Gutes to make a public statement to the contrary. Go forth and make it happen keyboard warriors.   

I think your logic has the best explanatory power, RT.  They liked him, they didn't have equivalent-value players on their board, and didn't want to risk that he'd get taken. 

The question to me is whether it was OL-in-general, and Jones going on previous pick prompted the move.  Or whether it was center in particular that they wanted.  Either way, you don't trade if there are other guys you like just as well for your team.  So yeah, the fact of the trade kinda proves they liked him better than other guys still left, and feared losing him.  

But I kinda suspect they really did want a center, which perhaps made Monk a better fit than Jones.  Might have perhaps made the same trade at the same time even had Jones still been available.  

5 minutes ago, craig said:

I think your logic has the best explanatory power, RT.  They liked him, they didn't have equivalent-value players on their board, and didn't want to risk that he'd get taken. 

The question to me is whether it was OL-in-general, and Jones going on previous pick prompted the move.  Or whether it was center in particular that they wanted.  Either way, you don't trade if there are other guys you like just as well for your team.  So yeah, the fact of the trade kinda proves they liked him better than other guys still left, and feared losing him.  

But I kinda suspect they really did want a center, which perhaps made Monk a better fit than Jones.  Might have perhaps made the same trade at the same time even had Jones still been available.  

Agree with the G/C players in general and with Van Pran at 141 and Nourzad at 159 coming off in the 5th round may have been the straws that pushed the move.