Round 6 Pick 178 Steelers Draft DE Logan Lee 5.05

Lee is a solid player. Not spectacular, but he made some splash plays or key stops regularly enough I knew his name and number quite well (Hawkeye fan here). He’s your typical Hawkeye DL. Big, solid athlete, coached up well, but not going to wow you. Sounds like a typical Steelers’ 5-tech to me.

24 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Lee is a solid player. Not spectacular, but he made some splash plays or key stops regularly enough I knew his name and number quite well (Hawkeye fan here). He’s your typical Hawkeye DL. Big, solid athlete, coached up well, but not going to wow you. Sounds like a typical Steelers’ 5-tech to me.

I was gonna say, his build and style reminds me some of Aaron Smith.  6’5” 290 with a thin waist line and broad shoulders.  Ironically Smith was a 4th round pick too.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I was gonna say, his build and style reminds me some of Aaron Smith.  6’5” 290 with a thin waist line and broad shoulders.  Ironically Smith was a 4th round pick too.

There are definitely some similarities there.  If he can become half the player Smith was, we have a steal on our hands.  I think Smith was our best defensive player personally.  I remember when he went Big Snack went down with injury, and the defense didn't miss a beat.  When Aaron Smith went down, the defense fell apart.  If I recall correctly, Hoke replaced Snack, and Hood replaced Smith.  Hoke was solid, and Hood was not lol.  Smith is easily the most underrated Steeler in history to me though, and one of my all-time favorites.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

There are definitely some similarities there.  If he can become half the player Smith was, we have a steal on our hands.  I think Smith was our best defensive player personally.  I remember when he went Big Snack went down with injury, and the defense didn't miss a beat.  When Aaron Smith went down, the defense fell apart.  If I recall correctly, Hoke replaced Snack, and Hood replaced Smith.  Hoke was solid, and Hood was not lol.  Smith is easily the most underrated Steeler in history to me though, and one of my all-time favorites.

Amen. They don’t make them like Smith anymore. He could have easily went to a 4-3 team and killed it with sacks and money. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Amen. They don’t make them like Smith anymore. He could have easily went to a 4-3 team and killed it with sacks and money. 

Yeah, it's always a shame to see a guy 2-gapping and not getting recognition, when he could've been dominating and getting the stats if he'd went elsewhere where he would've been used differently.  

14 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Don't quote me exactly on the numbers but Snack was not replaced well either. In over 160 games started we allowed a 100yd rusher once. In the 17 games he was injured I belive we allowed 100yd rushers 8 times. Now I love me some Aaron Smith but our run defense started and ended with snack.

Also I see lee a little more in the keisel mold.  A great pick if that ends up being true

1 hour ago, Big Snack said:

Don't quote me exactly on the numbers but Snack was not replaced well either. In over 160 games started we allowed a 100yd rusher once. In the 17 games he was injured I belive we allowed 100yd rushers 8 times. Now I love me some Aaron Smith but our run defense started and ended with snack.

Also I see lee a little more in the keisel mold.  A great pick if that ends up being true

I think he’s probably in between the 2. But we’re comparing a college kid to the NFL vet version of Kiesel and Smith that were already filled out and developed. Hopefully he’s more Smith.

I'm just going by memory and the eye ball test, but to me, the falloff from Snack was nothing compared to the falloff from Smith. They were both great at what they did though! 

2 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I'm just going by memory and the eye ball test, but to me, the falloff from Snack was nothing compared to the falloff from Smith. They were both great at what they did though! 

I vaguely remember the same. Smith got hurt, we got gashed. Hampton got hurt, we held steady. I barely remember anything though, I’ve wrecked havoc on my memory.

• Like 1

Lee may surprise many of us. His hand usage is nice and he plays with good pad level. Some guys may lose a job because of him. He's a terror on the inside but is kind of a tweener. Needs at least 15 pounds just to get to 300. I like his upside.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I vaguely remember the same. Smith got hurt, we got gashed. Hampton got hurt, we held steady. I barely remember anything though, I’ve wrecked havoc on my memory.

Haha covid, 4 times, has not been kind to my memory.  Throw in being in my mid 40s with a 1 year old baby, on top of the long haul stuff, and it's rough these days.  But I remember concepts like that.  Some things stick, quite clearly.  That is one of them!  I'd always bought into the notion that Big Snack was the anchor of that defense and the key to stuffing the run, because that's what everyone said.  But the proof was in the pudding, and when Smith went down they fell apart, whereas Snack going down was barely noticeable.  I was a big fan of that entire DL.  I thought Snack should've gotten SB MVP even, so it's not like I didn't like him or appreciate him.  Him or Fast Willie, not Hines.  I think in the end, Hoke was a great backup, whereas Hood sucked (if I'm remembering the backups correctly), and that was the real key lol.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Lee may surprise many of us. His hand usage is nice and he plays with good pad level. Some guys may lose a job because of him. He's a terror on the inside but is kind of a tweener. Needs at least 15 pounds just to get to 300. I like his upside.

I think Loudermilk was put on notice with this pick.

• Like 2