7.230 - Michael Jurgens, C, Wake Forest - #65

Overview

Solid three-year starter as a center/guard but will need to stick at center as his primary position. Jurgens uses accurate hands and consistent footwork to fit blocks with good centering, but he doesn’t have the core strength needed to displace opponents or keep from being pulled and shoved off balance by a strong nose tackle. He’s fairly average as an athlete but he does see the field well in pass protection and steadies the gaps around him. Jurgens’ lack of functional power and contact balance could hurt his chances as a late-round pick or priority free agent.

Strengths

• Has center/guard experience and possesses good length.
  • Looks to protect teammates in pass pro when uncovered.
  • Easy bounce from block to block on twists and combo blocks.
  • Patient and extremely accurate with initial hand placement as run blocker.
  • Smooth as a pull-and-pop blocker around the corner.

Weaknesses

• Below-average core strength at the point of attack.
  • Gets pulled off his base by opponents.
  • Bounced backward by initial rush force.
  • Displays small stall on redirection slides in his pass mirror.

NFL.com

Career Summary

• Started 34 career games with all 34 coming at the center position
  • Over the last three seasons at Wake Forest, played 2,541 snaps, the most out of any returning player for the Deacs.

2023 (Redshirt Senior)

• Started in every game during the 2023 season for the Demon Deacons
  • Named a captain ahead of the 2023 season for the third-consecutive season
  • Tallied 835 snaps on the offensive line, punt coverage and field goal unit
  • Fourth highest overall grade in the nation among guards
  • Ranked fifth in the ACC in pass blocking for guards
  • Ranked second in the nation for run blocking among guards
  • Recorded a season-high 88 snaps against Georgia Tech
  • Played in 80 or more snaps during back-to-back games
  • Tallied 60 or more snaps in nine games
  • Recorded 60 or more snaps in eight-straight games.

https://godeacs.com/sports/football/roster/michael-jurgens/7340

He played his best football last year at the Left Guard position. I think that we’ll keep him at that position. He had a high PFF grade and was one of the highest graded run blockers in 2023 at the guard position. Kwesi and his team really did their homework on this draft class, and Jurgens has a chance to be a steal. He’s a great insurance player in case Brandel doesn’t work out as a starter. 

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 2

Ever since making a Top 30 visit to Minnesota, Jurgens was drawn to the Viking organization that now will kick off his NFL chapter:

"I think there were nine people there also visiting the day I was. It ran like clockwork. Everybody was in meetings at the right time. All the coaches clearly knew who I was and had follow-up questions. It was clearly just a really well-run organization, and I left it thinking it would be the kind of place I want to be – and the kind of place I want to thrive. I'm so fired up to be a part of the Vikings. Going into the draft, that was exactly where I wanted to end up."

Jurgens told Twin Cities media members via videoconference he was "fired up" about having tried his hand at guard:

"I thought it was a great opportunity for me to really just learn more about offensive line play and get different perspectives on certain blocks and stuff like that. Also a great opportunity to show some versatility to teams, which I hope factored into Minnesota's decision. It was a great transition, and I'm happy I did it."

https://www.vikings.com/news/seventh-round-2024-nfl-draft-picks

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 5:20 PM, vike daddy said:

i think he's our third pick growing up in Maryland...

Must be Jamaal Stephenson's work.  He's worked for the Vikings for 20 yrs, yet has lived in Maryland the entire time (his wife is a fed employee).  🤣

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Must be Jamaal Stephenson's work.  He's worked for the Vikings for 20 yrs, yet has lived in Maryland the entire time (his wife is a fed employee).  🤣

Khyree Jackson - Upper Marlboro, MD
Michael Jurgens - Damascus, MD
Walter Rouse - Silver Spring, MD

@Captain Relax, these towns close to each other?

• VikeManDan changed the title to 7.230 - Michael Jurgens, C, Wake Forest - #65