2024 UDFA Signings

Cornerback Dwight McGlothern has an easy path to the roster, considering the state of the CB room. He has the length and the ball production to surprise some folks. Pass rusher Gabriel Murphy was considered by many as a mid-round pick because of his productive play at UCLA, but his size apparently scared folks. All of that sounds a lot like Pace’s situation a year ago.

Wideout Jeshaun Jones was a promising receiver in his career at Maryland when he was healthy. Unfortunately, two ACL tears hurt his stock. He’s been a frequent target in McCarthy’s highlight plays. Pass rusher Owen Porter played at the University of Marshall, and a few reports have surfaced about his decent play.

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/vikings-analysis/vikings-vs-raiders/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Before Saturday, most of the world had no idea what a “Bo Richter” was — until he tabulated 6 tackles, 2 tackles for loss, a QB hit, and a sack against Las Vegas.

Some Vikings analysts have chirped about Richter possibly making the 53-man roster, and he more than looked the part versus the Raiders. The guy looked great, flew all over the place, and seems like the type of contributor Brian Flores would retain for the regular season.

General manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah found “Prospect X” late in the 2024 NFL Draft, and Levi Drake Rodriguez showed onlookers why Minnesota prioritized him in April. He banked a sack and a tackle for loss while showcasing glorious Troy Polamalu hair.

Like Richter, Drake Rodriguez is trending to make the active roster.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/top_news/10-takeaways-from-vikings-preseason-dub?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

Hard to imagine Richter getting through to the practice squad, but what do I know? Especially if he continues to show out in the preseason games to come. He looked like a giant out there relative to some other players and was just all over the place. Was fun to watch. Of course, preseason etc..... But fun to find some of these hidden gems year-to-year it seems.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HitStickAllDay said:

Hard to imagine Richter getting through to the practice squad, but what do I know? Especially if he continues to show out in the preseason games to come. He looked like a giant out there relative to some other players and was just all over the place. Was fun to watch. Of course, preseason etc..... But fun to find some of these hidden gems year-to-year it seems.

If any one of Richter, Murphy, McGlothern or others make the roster, that means every year of the KAM era so far would have a UDFA make the roster.

Richter said he's dealt with difficulty playing loose in training camp. He realized Saturday that he can't do everything that he's learning on every single rep all at once, but that he can mesh the new knowledge he's obtained from Vikings coaches with the techniques and tricks that have regularly worked for him.

Richter: "It's nice to know that you stack up and can go out there and make plays. It's a different stage and different league, but it's the same game. We hone instincts for so long, and they don't go away."

https://www.vikings.com/news/jj-mccarthy-dallas-turner-rookies-1st-game-preseason

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HitStickAllDay said:

Joint practices this week will give the staff a good feel for Richter, I wonder if they look to mix him in with the 1's at all, just to see how he holds up.

• Like 3

Bo Richter springs out of his stance and attacks. What the undrafted Vikings rookie lacks in stereotypical size as an NFL edge defender, he accounts for with a play style reliant on emotions and instincts.

"He's just a guy that plays with passion. That's who he is. He's not extra or over-the-top," said Air Force defensive line coach Alex Means. "He loves the violence of the game. He loves to make plays. He loves getting sacks and pressures, and he just kind of roars when he gets those successes. It's cool to see."

The 6-foot-1, 248-pound Richter made six tackles, including two for losses, in his NFL preseason debut against the Las Vegas Raiders. He was stripped of a second sack because of finicky designed-quarterback-run rules – Richter didn't care; Vikings Head Coach Kevin O'Connell, however, countered in his postgame presser that "those don't exist."

Richter: "I was telling one of the athletic trainers here, my phone has blown up after big games before, but nothing like this – everybody is so supportive and it's awesome to see. You can't feel like you've made it [onto the roster], and I definitely don't feel like I have."

vikings.com

Defensive tackle Taki Taimani was flying under the radar, but his play as a run-stuffing nose tackle has been quite promising. The stat sheet against the Browns shows six tackles, but he blew up various run plays. The rookie out of Oregon is a strong practice squad candidate and might be the depth nose tackle with Jaquelin Roy continuing to disappoint.

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/vikings-analysis/vikings-at-browns/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

McCapitalG!!

need to call him by his actual nickname - Nudie.

McGlothern can hardly remember a time in his life when he wasn't playing football. He laughs, recalling stories he's heard from family members about his love for the pigskin … and toddling around the family home au naturel.

"I was the kid running around the house, diaper off, with a football in my arms," McGlothern said.

His wardrobe preferences – or lack thereof – earned McGlothern the nickname "Nudie" from his Uncle Pat, and the moniker stuck around for multiple years. When Pat nearly lost his life in 2016 after being shot in the face, the nickname he'd given McGlothern became even more meaningful.

"My uncle lived, and it was such a blessing," he said. "I kept the name around, then."

"Not a lot of people call him Dwight," Flores noted with a chuckle. "He goes by 'Nudie,' for those who didn't know. I'm just gonna put that out there."

https://www.vikings.com/news/rookie-cornerback-dwight-mcglothern-lessons-long-admired-vikings

• Like 1

Dwight McGlothern was just 10 years old – but already a dedicated football fan – when the Vikings drafted Harrison Smith 29th overall out of Notre Dame in 2012. And despite living in Houston, the youngster immediately was drawn to Smith's play style. McGlothern watched Vikings games whenever possible and followed the safety's career path.

McGlothern: "I knew of Harry when he first came into the league. That was a person I always [was] keeping up with this whole time. It's a blessing just being in Harry's presence, being around him. He's here, so I'm gonna ask him every question in the book I've been wanting to ask him since 2012. It's pretty cool just having a vet like him in the room, and he's seen almost – possibly every – outcome on the field. So just taking advantage of his knowledge and asking him about information that I haven't seen yet or don't know about. It'll be very helpful, for sure."

McGlothern uses his own experience at wideout, as well, having played both sides of the ball all the way up to college. He racked up 2,593 receiving yards and 34 touchdowns for Klein Oak High School (Texas), in addition to 15 interceptions defensively. Asked if he preferred one position over the other, McGlothern smiled widely and casually shrugged his shoulders.

McGlothern: "I was just a team player. Really, I was all about trying to impact the team and help us win – and also give fans a show, you know? It's just a blessing to keep going."

https://www.vikings.com/news/rookie-cornerback-dwight-mcglothern-lessons-long-admired-vikings

put this dude on the 53.

• Like 3