Personal

-Played WR at Western Michigan for 2 years
-Transferred to Saginaw Valley ST and played QB for 2 years
-Houston Texas [2008-2009]: Offensive Quality Control
-Washington Redskins [2010-2013]: QB Coach
-Notre Dame [2014]: QB Coach
-Atlanta Falcons [2015-2016]: QB Coach
-LA Rams [2017]: Offensive Coordinator

What I Like: Great QB performances have followed him where ever he had gone. RG3 [rookie of the year], Everett Golson [National Championship game], Matt Ryan [MVP]. Jared Goff [Possible MVP]. He has worked for almost a decade with 2 of the best minds in football in Shannahan and McVay and they seem dead set on keeping him around.

What I Don't Like: No play calling experience outside of 1 year at Ashland. Why didn't Atlanta keep him around coming off a Super Bowl and incredible year from Matt Ryan?

Scheme

I am basing this off what McVay is doing as Lafleur does not call plays, but I would assume that the offense he would bring to Chicago would be very similar to what he and McVay are putting together.

-They run a true spread offense. They have 4 players in the passing game on every single play that I watched against the Saints. They have a TE, but only 1, and that player is moved all around and half the time it is Gerald Everett who is used as a WR.

-The Rams hurry to the line and allow for a ton of time for the coach to help the QB make the checks, which to me is a really awesome development for a young QB.

-A lot of shotgun runs and they run entirely out of a single back formation.

-They use Tavon Austin how I would use Tarik Cohen in the backfield and in the slot and all over the field. They use Austin a lot for misdirection and as a decoy to hold defenders in run defense.

-I saw a lot of half field reads. Vertical to clear and then 2 leveled routes underneath to the sideline. Easy read for the QB, multiple options and hard to double or run zone with that many guys in one area of the field.

-Play action boot leg from the Shannahan offense was used throughout the game with both TE, RB, and WR being targeted with the pass.

-Little to no help is given to the OTs.

-Lots of routes 10-20 yards downfield, this is not an offense that is scared to move the ball downfield. Essentially what I saw as spread it out, run a number of verticals and identify the best match up. If they can get a box safety [Vaccaro] or a LB [Klien] near a WR that is where they are going. Jared Goff leads the league in 20+ yard completions and is 2nd in 40+ yard completions

Personnel

What Works

RB: This is a combination deal because we know that Jordan Howard cannot catch and the Rams offense throws the ball to Gurley a ton. But they run a ton of single back shotgun runs, which Howard is very good at running. My hope would be that Cohen could handle some of the obvious passing situations.

QB: There are a lot of layered routes and accuracy is at a premium, which we have seen Trubisky can do. The mobility and ability to throw on the run is a huge part of the offense as the play action boot leg is a staple of the offense.

What doesn't work

WR: The Rams run out 3 #2 WRs and they are used interchangeably all over the field. They are all targeted, they are all used in the slot and the outside and they all run deep or vertical routes. The Bears do not have enough talent at WR to run out 3 interchangeable WRs and they do not have the speed presently to move vertical as much as the Rams system does.

OT: I have never seen a team that gives less help to their OTs than the Rams. I cannot remember a single snap in 2 games where they were given a chip or any help. I do not think that the Bears are strong enough at OT for that to work.

Flex TE: The Rams use a flex TE [Gerald Everett] in Washington [Jordan Reed] and they use this TE so they do not need to substitute. Instead of subbing they flex Everett out and play him as a WR. This allows them to continue to vary the formations and splits they use.

No more French Canadians please, I mean the last time they tried a move like this with that Marc guy from the Alouettes it failed miserably.  

In all seriousness though, LaFleur is an interesting candidate but this might be a case of him riding the coattails of McVay who is now the benchmark of what this Bears franchise hopes to replicate this off-season.

Like you, the thing I don't understand is why the Falcons didn't keep him as OC after Shanahan left. It's a bit of a red flag but this guy has an interesting resume of working under some really good coaches. Color me intrigued.

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Seeing what that Shanahan/McVay offence did to the Seahawks this week it is extremely hard for me not to say this is the best offence scheme in the NFL and also the best fit for the players we currently have with the exception of maybe KC.

Can he run the system?

Anyone can copy a system, but can he run it like McVay. If the answer is yes than hire him.

This is the most impressive offense in the NFL.

35 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I just wish his resume had a little more meat on it. A little more time as OC and at least some play calling time.

That's the knock on the big 3 offensive names... DeFilippo, Nagy, LaFleur. Flip is the only one who has actually run the show on offense.

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

That's the knock on the big 3 offensive names... DeFilippo, Nagy, LaFleur. Flip is the only one who has actually run the show on offense.

Nagy has been recently and for Andy Reid to hand over control that says alot...it has never happened before and looking at his coaching tree he has worked with some good ones...

Having a quick look at HCs and connections to potential staffs I think Haley would be #1 followed by Nagy and that Reid tree (especially if he can really get Pettine) then LaFleur on the Texans/Redskins/Rams tree.

12 hours ago, G08 said:

If I am ranking resumes it would be

1a. Nagy, lighter on play calling, but Ried has kept him around and more playing experience at the QB position.

1b. DeFilippo, more QB development experience and play calling than Nagy.

2. Lafleur

Just now, WindyCity said:

If I am ranking resumes it would be

1a. Nagy, lighter on play calling, but Ried has kept him around and more playing experience at the QB position.

1b. DeFilippo, more QB development experience and play calling than Nagy.

2. Lafleur

I've been high on Nagy for a while and would have no problem if he was the guy. Same with DeFilippo -- my main questions for both would be who they would bring in for their offensive and defensive staffs. If Flip is adamant about Greg Knapp... I might have my reservations.

Archived