Grade The 2024 Draft

I don’t grade drafts I think there’s too much on preference your outlook as far as do you value need or talent. It is an amazing haul!! I love all the players even the day 3 because each has a model and build and skillset that matches up to something we’ve seen Quinn maximize in other stops. Especially some of those players were drafted in similar rounds. That said if you ask me they won the night as far as when I look at the recap of picks I have 3 winners and three losers and we def are a top haul. Of course that’s cercumstancial because not many teams every have 5 day 2 picks. And if you do you’d assume your maximizing these selections as far as grading our that compared to a team with the same amount of picks but spread throughout.

We got the QB at seasons end which always holds weight I said I’d take and probably rank 1. I def found things keying on focused tape study. He was def worthy of the pick. And at seasons end I didn’t know JJ declared and I think I spoke to why I had him in this area. Ultimately I said many times we couldn’t mess up the pick in picking any of the 3. That said it’s about what we do after for the kid and how he handles his body and the job and playbook. IMO he will do great here just keep him upright and work with him on the hits.

day 2 we did what I said multiple times I want to add DT depth. Didn’t expect it early but getting my second rated DT who I had a top 20 grade on I’m elated. I’m happy they didn’t reach at OT because at that point my top rated tackle was 46. Mikey is my guy!!! I’m sure he will earn taking Sean and Terry’s spot for my profile pic. But I’m gonna make him earn it because I know he will. Sinnott was a guy we’ve discussed a lot. I love the pick I thought he would go that range I didn’t think we’d pick it that early in greatful they did because he is a really awesome player. I’m not gonna mention the whole class but I love the 3 guys day 3!! Luke has been very impressive in his move to WR. And Coleman is going to be a special player!!! Idc if he’s ultimately OG or he shows he belongs at OT he’s an amazing player

• Like 3

https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-draft-my-five-favorite-hauls-and-one-head-scratching-class

Draft picks: 9

Round 1: Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU (No. 2 overall)

Round 2: Jer'Zhan Newton, DT, Illinois (36) | Mike Sainristil, CB, Michigan (50) | Ben Sinnott, TE, Kansas State (53)

Round 3: Brandon Coleman, OG, TCU (67) | Luke McCaffrey, WR, Rice (100)

Round 5: Jordan Magee, LB, Temple (139) | Dominique Hampton, S, Washington (161)

Round 7: Javontae Jean-Baptiste, DE, Notre Dame (222)

Credit new general manager Adam Peters for revamping the team’s culture with a collection of experienced players bringing superb leadership skills. All nine of the Commanders’ draftees spent at least four years in college and seven were team captains. Though playing ability is prioritized in the evaluation process, the decision to add a group of young leaders is part of a long-term plan to eradicate the losing mentality within the locker room.

On the field, the addition of Jayden Daniels gives the Commanders the QB1 they have been looking for since Kirk Cousins’ departure after the 2017 season. The LSU standout dazzles as an electric dual-threat quarterback with elite passing skills and impromptu playmaking ability. With Kliff Kingsbury experienced in exploiting a dynamic athlete at the position (SEE: Kyler Murray), the Commanders could hit the ground running in 2024.

If Jer’Zhan Newton and Mikey Sainristil also make their mark as potential Day 1 starters, and Jordan Magee, Dominique Hampton and Javontae Jean-Baptiste secure roles as backups/special teams standouts, the Commanders could emerge as a surprise playoff contender in Dan Quinn’s debut season. 

• Like 3

I really love that AP and the rest really value athleticism which has never been a factor in drafting players. We’ve selected a couple in each draft in the past but this is a big factor with the new FO. Our teams over the years did not have fast athletes. Can’t wait to watch this team flying around and hitting. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I’ve been thinking and I hope this doesn’t make people too upset, but this was like a Shanahan/Bruce Allen/Kyle Smith type draft from last decade. ShanAllen/Kyle Smith mostly took senior players who had a lot of experience and were leaders on their teams. 

It didn’t always work out last decade bc of all kind of different issues - a lot of which had to do with injuries & poor FA choices. So hopefully if we make better FA choices - which I think we did this offseason - and if our FAs/draft picks stay healthy it will lead to more success.

Edited by turtle28

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I really love that AP and the rest really value athleticism which has never been a factor in drafting players. We’ve selected a couple in each draft in the past but this is a big factor with the new FO. Our teams over the years did not have fast athletes. Can’t wait to watch this team flying around and hitting. 

Athleticism is so huge. You can always make a player you draft bigger and stronger through a meal plan/workout plan take Magee for example who right now is a bit undersized but he has a great athletic profile, he has great sideline-to-sideline range and he was a leader on his D. 

The YouTube breakdown which was posted in his draft day thread by @naptownskinsfancompared Magee to Patrick Queen in how he plays, his sideline-to-sideline range, and his athleticism. If we get anything close to Queen out of Magee that will be a home run pick!

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I love it because the guys on this staff have shown they can develop athletes!! But on top of that these players all have a comp style to someone we’ve seen come through there programs and shine. The fact that like the players they maximized before these players too were mostly captains and leaders on their squads!! The funny thing is I don’t think they’re just developing this draft class. I think they’re going to develop the last few classes and the whole roster overall. The biggest thing for holdovers for me are obviously Terry and Jahan under cliff and his offensive staff. These guys can be special. Brob is another because he has flashed a serious ability to turn 2 yard gains into 7 plus. If they commit to him with Jayden and Austin it could be deadly. Then on defense I believe Forrest Martin and Forbes also fit. You put in a guy like Mikey to the nickle and this back end can be nasty going forward. Especially if Bobby Frankie and these interior guys just create havoc for the trenches and run game for offenses this year

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

I think they’re going to develop the last few classes and the whole roster overall. The biggest thing for holdovers for me are obviously Terry and Jahan under cliff and his offensive staff. These guys can be special.

Brob is another because he has flashed a serious ability to turn 2 yard gains into 7 plus. If they commit to him with Jayden and Austin it could be deadly.

Then on defense I believe Forrest, Martin and Forbes also fit. You put in a guy like Mikey to the nickle and this back end can be nasty going forward. Especially if Bobby Frankie and these interior guys just create havoc for the trenches and run game for offenses this year.

I agree with this. It's a great point. We have some under developed talent from the last few drafts. I'd even throw Jamin Davis, BSJ, Dyami, Butler, Mathis, Stromberg & Henry into that group of players. I think we will see early on in the preseason that the team will be coached with more urgency. 

There's still talent inside these guys that hasn't been realized yet & I’m hopeful the new coaching staff can get it out of them. It would great for example if they help Dyami take a jump & he locks down being our #3 WR and when we go 3 wide he's in there instead of the 30-year-old Crowder or Zaccheaus.

Although I don't expect that to actually happen where Brown locks down the #3 spot while becoming more consistent,  I expect Crowder or Zaccheaus to be our 3rd WR, be in the slot & Dotson to remain outside.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I agree with this. It's a great point. We have some under developed talent from the last few drafts. I'd even throw Jamin Davis, BSJ, Dyami, Butler, Mathis, Stromberg & Henry into that group of players. I think we will see early on in the preseason that the team will be coached with more urgency. 

There's still talent inside these guys that hasn't been realized yet & I’m hopeful the new coaching staff can get it out of them. It would great for example if they help Dyami take a jump & he locks down being our #3 WR and when we go 3 wide he's in there instead of the 30-year-old Crowder or Zaccheaus.

Although I don't expect that to actually happen where Brown locks down the #3 spot while becoming more consistent,  I expect Crowder or Zaccheaus to be our 3rd WR, be in the slot & Dotson to remain outside.

I'm hoping we hit so big on our rookie WR Luke McCaffrey, that he becomes our slot guy, Turtle.

Then, Dyami Brown being our #4. Terry, Jahan, Luke & Dyami.

10 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I'm hoping we hit so big on our rookie WR Luke McCaffrey, that he becomes our slot guy, Turtle.

Then, Dyami Brown being our #4. Terry, Jahan, Luke & Dyami.

Honestly I’m really excited for our UDFA’s because I think Luke is def the slot guy. But the Georgia WR we brought in I would not be surprised if he beat out Duece!! This kid can ball he’s a bigger guy who can also play the slot he can create very well after the catch and he is def a Big slot type where he’s so physical I believe he can impact this team

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Honestly I’m really excited for our UDFA’s because I think Luke is def the slot guy. But the Georgia WR we brought in I would not be surprised if he beat out Duece!! This kid can ball he’s a bigger guy who can also play the slot he can create very well after the catch and he is def a Big slot type where he’s so physical I believe he can impact this team

Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint I had this guy in a few of my mocks. He catches the ball at the highest point and wins those 50/50 balls. I like him. 
I also haven’t given up on Mitchell Tinsley. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2024 at 9:25 AM, turtle28 said:

I'm with you on BSJ, Stromberg & Henry.  Mathis, maybe can develop into a rotational guy.  Jamin Davis is fine and all but he isn't earning a proper second contract so I doubt he stays with us.  Butler, meh whatever.

Now Dyami Brown on the other hand ....cut Dyami Brown now.  He shows the same thing every year.  A couple highlights of hope and then the drops and unreliability. 

We have the same WR coach this year as last year.  One of the few holdovers.  So he isn't getting coached better.  He is the worst kind of WR for a rookie qb, one who isn't reliable.  This is year 4.  Time to move on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint I had this guy in a few of my mocks. He catches the ball at the highest point and wins those 50/50 balls. I like him. 
I also haven’t given up on Mitchell Tinsley. 

I haven’t given up on Tinsley either. And MRJ is def sure handed 50-50 guy. But he has some yac and wiggle with the ball in his hands with room and he has some power and contact balance. He reminds me of Kelvin Harmon pre injury honestly he had some flash to him before the Achilles I believe he had 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

Now Dyami Brown on the other hand ....cut Dyami Brown now.  He shows the same thing every year.  A couple highlights of hope and then the drops and unreliability. 

We have the same WR coach this year as last year.  One of the few holdovers.  So he isn't getting coached better.  He is the worst kind of WR for a rookie qb, one who isn't reliable.  This is year 4.  Time to move on.

I think as a GM/HC you're doing yourself a disservice if you at least don't have Dyami Brown through the preseason and to cut day. You have to absolutely see if his flashes can become a more consistent WR. It probably won't happen, but there's zero harm in carrying Dyami through all of preseason or even all season even if he's the #4 or 5 WR. 

17 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think as a GM/HC you're doing yourself a disservice if you at least don't have Dyami Brown through the preseason and to cut day. You have to absolutely see if his flashes can become a more consistent WR. It probably won't happen, but there's zero harm in carrying Dyami through all of preseason or even all season even if he's the #4 or 5 WR. 

It's a fair point.  I just think reps are not endless.  If you are getting a look at Brown in camp and then preseason games then another WR is missing targets to evaluate and develop.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think we have seen enough from Brown to know he isn't a WR 4 or 5, IMO. He has had 3 seasons and hasn't caught more than 10 balls in any season. He likely will be a first round of cuts guy. I think McCaffrey, Zaccheaus and Crowder deserve those targets over Brown. I think Brown, Allen, and Tinsley may be fighting for the last WR spot. 

• Like 1