Grade The 2024 Draft

10 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Jayden Daniels: Grade - A: Filled a need with a highly ranked QB. Trading down would have screwed us. 

Johnny Newton: Grade - A-: While not an immediate need, I liked the shift towards BPA. This guy is Dan Quinn's Grady Jarrett. 

Mike Sainristil: Grade - B+: He doesn't have CB1 potential, but he was my highest rated CB for round 2. Obviously fills a big need here. 

Ben Sinnott: Grade - C+: You might be surprised by the rating, but I would have liked him more so in Round 3. This was more of a need pick and I get it. I love the player, and I had him in my mock draft. We passed on some pretty good OT prospects like Patrick Paul and Kingsley Suamatai for him which could potentially look foolish. 

Brandon Coleman: Grade 😄This guy wasn't on my radar but he should have been. A little early for him in my opinion and there was a run on OT's right before him which kind of sucked. He has a lot of potential though. WR Roman Wilson or WR Jalen McMillan were on the board here. 

Luke McCaffery: Grade C+: I think we paid a bit of a premium for the McCaffery name here but he has a lot of potential. I like him a lot though. A few WRs like Troy Franklin, Javon Baker, or Devontez Walker could make this pick look foolish though. RB Jaylen Wright was also out there. 

Magee & Hampton: Grade: 😧Just don't like these type of LB/S/Special Teams late in the draft. Hope they prove me wrong. There was a lot of RB/WR value here I though. 

All in all a pretty good draft, around a B+. I think I gave the last few Rivera drafts D grades. If we can hit on one of Sinnott, Coleman or McCaffery I think this draft could turn out very good. 

For me Coleman is kind of a wild card. Since LT is such a need and they weren’t able to get back in to the 1st rd. If Coleman can be that guy at LT and getting him in the 3rd rd. would make this draft such a success. 

• Like 2

I'll go A- because Round 1 and 2 was great the rest is iffy

Best Pick: Johnny Newton insane Value and the creativity he can give the coaching staff with 3 man fronts with Allen and payne and allowing Luvu and Jamin to hunt with the threat of Mikey,Quan, or Chinn coming from the slot should give QBs nightmares

Favorite Pick: Ben Sinnott was my Clear #2 TE in the draft has almost all the traits of most great TEs in today NFL. Think he has a long time as our TE.

Head Scratcher: Dominque Hampton this is less about the player or how he fits Quinn System and more about if he makes the Roster Forrest Chinn Quan Reeves Butler(who I'm guessing this makes odd man out)

Love the combo that Peters seemed to be looking for in the draft of being a great Athlete but also being a team Capitan which should mean they are coachable.

Only Bad side was not helping the O-line more but don't think the board fell a way they liked and there is still some talent in free agent that could improve it

• Like 3

Tough one to grade.  Lot to like and a lot to be concerned about.

Daniels has to be the qb for the long term for this draft to be a success.  He has to stay healthy and has to be able to play when his team isn't head shoulders around the rest of the league.  But hey if he is our franchise qb, that is a A draft in itself.

Huge risk drafting Newton.  Yes, guts to take a BPA pick, but that also puts a lot of pressure on the pick.  He needs to be not just good, but a star or we are going to look back at a lot of players we left out there.

Sinnott interesting pick.  They go what appears BPA in Newton and then Need in TE.  Hard for me to not think there were both better prospects available and more of a need in OT.

Coleman is a project tackle they are taking on.  He probably has a better chance to succeed as a guard.  That's all good to take a player like that with high upsed, but it is concerning they only picked one olineman with 9 picks.

Mccaffrey was a dna pick.  Might work out though.

I'm at C+/B-

I will tell you it makes me nervous when all the media grades us so high :)  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Damn, that is a labor of love right there.  I am surprised that no one graded less than a B-, and only six Bs total.  

Man, the Falcons got raked over the coals by everyone.  

It’s because Draft Day is like New Years 

3349c4e0-1aad-4d52-9038-6a5eb70baad9_tex

I grade it a A-. To me it all stands or fails with our new QB. If he is a good QB the draft was a success!

Newton is a good pick-up. Great value and finally it looked more like BPA in the full draft. Great franchises tend to do a lot of success by this strategy! Better then the reaches we had the last couple of years.

Best pick: Newton

My favorite pick: Sinnott. He looks like Cooley to me. Who had a great career.

Sainristil- could become a great player.

I do think we still miss a great tackle and great Edge player. We need this to become good/ great.

• Like 2

I kinda like the way Howie Roseman drafts. He just drafts the biggest name still on the board it seems. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but I think its the smart way to play the draft. 

QB Jayden Daniels - A

I think an A is an appropriate grade here. Not only was a QB our biggest need, but some believe Jaylen was the best QB in the class. He also fits exactly what the coaching staff wants to implement scheme wise. What is that? That is the RPO type scheme very similar to what the Baltimore Ravens run. Plus, Daniels is probably more prepared to start immediately over every QB in the draft with the exception to Caleb Williams. So why not an A+ grade? I got to see him play here. I also wonder if his body frame will last a full football season & not get snapped like a twig like RG3. All in All, this was an obvious & excellent pick for us.

DT Johnny Newton - A+

Some were upset with this pick, but I loved it! This blue chip prospect was a top 20 1st Rd talent that dropped, because of a foot injury. Not only will we be able to sub him with Allen or Payne in certain packages? But perhaps slide one over to DE with their quickness in certain packages. Not to mention, we don't even know what Johnathan Allen's future is here. Does he want to be traded? Who knows? But Newton is not just an insurance policy. He's our future DT, that could be better than BOTH Payne & Allen. This pick is the consummate reason why you draft by best available player & not by need, at least early on in the draft. Because you never no what can happen, over the course of a season. And what happens if Allen, or Payne gets injured for any significant time? Exactly!! You'll look back & thank your lucky stars we didn't reach for needed CB here, while Ridgeway is playing the majority of games. Value wise, this was our best pick in the draft.

CB Mike Sainristil - B

I was less excited by this pick than most. The value was very good, as Sainristil was the top slot CB on the board. I'm just a little concerned with his size at 5'9", although he's fast & can tackle. I would have preferred a trade down here at pick 40, if that were possible. I would have preferred a CB to lock down the outside man-to-man, personally. But I can't hate on the pick too much either, as CB was a big need & the value was there for Sainristil. I'm more indifferent with this pick, than disappointed. I just hope this guy helps out that crew back there. For me, I give it a B in the hopes this becomes an A+ pick. Because we need it back there!

TE Ben Sinnott - A+

This was my favorite pick in the draft. He was the 2nd best TE on the board & a late 1st Rd talent, imo. He can play TE, FB or H-Back for this team. Like that Rycheck dude (spell?) for the Niners. We crushed it with value, but TE was a bigger need than most believed here. He'll get to learn from Zach Ertz, but definitely will see the field with how interchangeable he is as a player. He will become Jayden Daniels safety net, which is as big of an importance as a good OT, or Guard can be. Besides Daniels himself, this was the 2nd most important piece drafted for this team, imo. We now will be able to do some crazy **** in that RPO with Sinnott here. This was a PERFECT selection!

OT/OG Brandon Coleman - C+

This pick was certainly a need, but I'm wondering if they selected here just to say they selected an O-Lineman. He seems very raw & more of a developmental project, than ready to go type of player. His athleticism is off the charts as an OG/OT, but I'm wondering if we would have been better off just signing a vet OT. To me, that seems kind of risky on a 3rd Rd selection. We need help now, not just 2 years from now. Either way, I hope he becomes a solid player for us & starts sooner, rather than later. I'm being generous with the C+ grade in the hopes he develops quickly for us & contributes.

WR Luke McCaffrey - B+

You're picking at 100. The last pick in the 3rd Rd. You need a slot WR & you don't pick again till round 5. Here's a guy that's not the best wr on the board. You're reaching for this guy...Then you remember he's the son of the great Ed McCaffrey for the Broncos & the brother of current stud Christian McCaffrey for the Niners. Then you watch tape....you notice the guy never drops the pass. Not only that, but he has his helmet ripped off his head on multiple occasions & still holds on to the ball. Value be damned....give me the guy with heart &  courage to be the guy who can go over the middle & catch passes from Jayden Daniels. Oh btw....he was the one catching passes for Daniels on Pro Day as well, so there's chemistry already developed. I drop it a bit on grade because of value? But I think we can all agree that when we're beating the Cowboys, Giants & Eagles during the season & McCaffrey is getting his head ripped off by Micah Parsons, while scoring the winning TD over the middle. We're not gonna be mad we took him at 100. Hell, even Lavar will have a little smile.

LB Magee - D-

Sorry, I'm still a little sore we didn't take Jeremiah Trotter Jr. when we had the chance here. This guy needs  plays like Wilbur Marshall, before I bump it up to a C. Because Trotter is probably gonna be starting for the Eagles this year.

S Hampton - A-

Love the flyer here. 6'3" safety at 225 lbs & fast. Can probably play LBer in certain situations. Probably really good on special teams, too. His athleticism is great. This was probably an underrated selection. Specially, with how much help we need on the back end. I would not be surprised at all, if he becomes a steal here.

All in all, I give our whole draft an A-

I think our Day 1 & 2 picks were money, with the exception to the Sainristil pick.

I think our Day 3 picks were questionable at best, but acceptable because of the needs there.

The fact that all of them scored high on there RAS testing, gives me hope.

Because I think this team did need an infusion of athleticism & speed on the field. I've got tired of watching our team get beat not only because of the fundamentals like tackling, wrapping up, making plays on the ball. But effort seemed to be questionable to me as well. Hopefully, these new horses will come in & bring an effort & skillet desperately needed on both sides of the ball.

Edited by aceinthehouse
  • Like 2

Round 1: No. 2- Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU: A-
They did the right thing and went and got a QB. I preferred Maye, but am ecstatic to get Daniels too. He will be a playmaker for this team, and should be exciting to watch. 

Round 2: No. 36- Jer’zhan Newton, DT, Illinois: B-
I've had to come around on this pick some. There is no doubt this player this talented, but it's at our most stacked position. What's the long term plan here? I suppose he was just too good to pass up, but there was some serious talent at needs out there.

Round 2: No. 50. - (from PHI through NO)- Mike Sainristil, CB, Michigan: A-
Probably my favorite pick. Despite his measurables, I think he fits in with exactly what Dan Quinn's defense will do. This was a good player now in a good fit. I think we see immediate returns from this. 

Round 2: No. 53 (from PHI)-Ben Sinnott, TE, Kansas State: B
My second favorite TE in the draft. I loved the comparison to a little Kittle and a little Kyle from SF. He should see PT early and be a contributor by season's end. Might have been a little early, but we identified talent and went and got it. 

Round 3: No 67. Brandon Coleman, T, TCU: C-
I just can't be sold on this one. I think he's a guard, plain and simple. We missed the tackle run, and now seem to be trying to square peg a round hole here. He might eventually move inside and save this, but I don't see it as a tackle. 

Round 3: No. 100 (from SF)-Luke McCaffrey, WR, Rice: C+
Again, I like the player, but seemed a little early for my blood, especially with Troy Franklin sitting out there and proving a perfect compliment to what we needed outside of Dotson and McLaurin. Still, he comes from a long line of success in his family and I like what he brings. 

Round 5: No. 139- Jordan Magee, LB, Temple: B-
This, to me, is a pretty niche pick if it works out, but I think he found a home where he can find some success. He should be a good special teams guy as well. 

Round 5:No. 161- (from PHI through TB)-Dominique Hampton, S, Washington): B+
I do like this one a lot. This could be our Day 3 gem we found. Has great measurables. With good coaching, watch out. 

Round 7: No. 222-Javontae Jean-Baptiste, EDGE, Notre Dame: B-
It's a shot at developing a late EDGE. Undersized, but could take time to develop.

Overall: B+
Going live I was a little down on the class some, but overall it all comes down to Jayden Daniels. If he's a success, the class is an A regardless. Peters found some good players to me along with some questionable picks. But, for a first draft, I like overall what I saw. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I suppose he was just too good to pass up, but there was some serious talent at needs out there.

Adam Peters said they discussed trading up for him as he was falling. He was clearly very high on their draft boards. Glad we didn't trade up for a DT.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i'm happy for you guys. you were quite the anxious lot leading up to the Draft, glad we didn't have to get you off ledges afterward.

Too early for this, IMO. If Jayden Daniels stubs his toe, we will all be on life support. 

• Like 5

On 4/28/2024 at 2:56 PM, ovfd55 said:

I'll go A- because Round 1 and 2 was great the rest is iffy

Best Pick: Johnny Newton insane Value and the creativity he can give the coaching staff with 3 man fronts with Allen and payne and allowing Luvu and Jamin to hunt with the threat of Mikey,Quan, or Chinn coming from the slot should give QBs nightmares

Favorite Pick: Ben Sinnott was my Clear #2 TE in the draft has almost all the traits of most great TEs in today NFL. Think he has a long time as our TE.

Head Scratcher: Dominque Hampton this is less about the player or how he fits Quinn System and more about if he makes the Roster Forrest Chinn Quan Reeves Butler(who I'm guessing this makes odd man out)

Love the combo that Peters seemed to be looking for in the draft of being a great Athlete but also being a team Capitan which should mean they are coachable.

Only Bad side was not helping the O-line more but don't think the board fell a way they liked and there is still some talent in free agent that could improve it

I've heard that they will use Chinn as a Buffalo Nickel/WLB type, he's not going to play safety for us.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/40056466/2024-nfl-draft-ranking-top-100-picks-best-steals-team-fits-trades

2024 NFL draft: Ranking the 100 best picks, steals, fits

5. Jayden Daniels, QB, Washington Commanders (Pick 1-2)

My final overall ranking: No. 5

The Commanders' offense will be one of the most electric in the NFL with the dual-threat Daniels airing it out to Terry McLaurin and Jahan Dotson when he's not gashing defenses with his legs. My No. 5 overall player and QB2 in the class, Daniels was the smart pick for first-time general manager Adam Peters. He should be an Offensive Rookie of the Year contender here as a Day 1 starter.

79. Mike Sainristil, CB, Washington Commanders (Pick 2-50)

My final overall ranking: No. 50

Washington had one of this year's best draft classes, and the selection of Sainristil was a big part of it. The versatile Michigan defensive back should be a Day 1 starter at the nickel cornerback spot. He has Mike Hilton-like upside and could be one of the NFL's best nickels in short order. He picked off six passes last season.

81. Ben Sinnott, TE, Washington Commanders (Pick 2-53)

My final overall ranking: No. 90

Commanders GM Adam Peters likely took one look at Sinnott's film from Kansas State and thought he had found his Washington version of Kyle Juszczyk. Sinnott's versatility made him my top fullback/H-back and even a top-five tight end prospect in this class. He's tough, fast and selfless -- three qualities that I think will get him into the Commanders' starting lineup alongside Zach Ertz at tight end.

90. Luke McCaffrey, WR, Washington Commanders (Pick 3-100)

My final overall ranking: No. 143

Commanders general manager Adam Peters came from the 49ers, who have running back Christian McCaffrey. In his first draft as a GM, he made sure to add another McCaffrey to his new team. The younger brother is likely a slot receiver in Washington, where he'll provide the underneath option for Jayden Daniels with Terry McLaurin and Jahan Dotson working down the field.