53 Man Roster thread

Old Guy

There was an article over at APC that was interesting that the Pack is using many more safeties than LBs for the new kickoffs. I won’t post it because I know that Justo isn’t everyone’s favorite here but it does make an interesting observation on what back of the roster guys might stick around. 

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

There was an article over at APC that was interesting that the Pack is using many more safeties than LBs for the new kickoffs. I won’t post it because I know that Justo isn’t everyone’s favorite here but it does make an interesting observation on what back of the roster guys might stick around. 

We did have the 2 rookies out for this game so thats a factor. Dont think youre gonna put duff or walker out there for preseason kickoffs when theyre your starters..

Think you got Wilson and Hopper going to end up on ST but Goforth a real long shot but hes got some wiggle to him.. could see him being a 3x call up before the seasons over. Think Welch is just a bit too stiff. Welch got 9 snaps and goforth got 5 which is in line with the Safety teamers.. except Anderson who got 11.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

We did have the 2 rookies out for this game so thats a factor. Dont think youre gonna put duff or walker out there for preseason kickoffs when theyre your starters..

Think you got Wilson and Hopper going to end up on ST but Goforth a real long shot but hes got some wiggle to him.. could see him being a 3x call up before the seasons over. Think Welch is just a bit too stiff. Welch got 9 snaps and goforth got 5 which is in line with the Safety teamers.. except Anderson who got 11.

That crossed my mind but I’d forgotten we had 2 LBs out. I still think the new rules will favor fewer big guys but it’s still pretty cloudy without any real sample size and also coordinators likely keeping anything spicy under wraps. Going to be an evolving thing this year. 

I've just watched Andy Herman latest video about his 53 man roster prediction. For someone who visited every training camp session he has some interesting takes.

He has 39 locks to make the roster, Herman trotted out all the usual expected names except he included Colby Wooden, Anthony Johnson and Kalen King

I'm surprised at those three, I think they should be in the next tier or two below. Herman did say if there was anyone on his locks list being a surprise cut it would be either King or Wooden. Zero mention of Johnson...in his mind 100% is making the roster despite the fact we already have three safeties ahead of him, McKinney, Bullard and Williams. I think he's a little too in love with Anthony Johnson.

In the next tier "Extremely good bets" he named 6 players, Pratt, Dillon, Melton, Er.Wilson, Oladapo, Orzech. Almost everything about this I disagree with. Only Orzech is a good bet if you're gambling with real life money.

So far Clifford in training camp has been the no.2 QB, whilst Pratt has been showing nice things I don't think the status quo has changed yet. So placing Pratt as a good bet is a little too early for me. Of course that might change after the remaining preseason games. However I think the indications are the Packers will be keeping three QB on the roster with Clifford as the backup.

Dillon is in no way an extremely good bet, Jacobs is taking a roster spot, Lloyd is a draft pick will take a roster spot, Wilson has shown more talent running the ball. If Dillon continues to struggle doing basic RB things then he will be on the fringes of the roster.

Melton is probably the best of the extremely good bets but not if DuBose and Heath has anything to say about it, we can't keep all the WRs, someone surprising will be cut.

I'm not even sure why Er.Wilson is even on this list. The linebackers spots are all taken by Walker, Cooper, Hopper and McDuffie. After that there's likely just one roster spot available assuming Oladapo is the "6th linebacker". That roster spot literally could be anyone. If all things are equal the Packers will keep the younger guy over the older guy every time. WIlson is 29 years old, Welch is 26 and apparently is a better special teamer. Goforth is 23 and is getting alot of snaps with injuries to the main guys at the moment and he might show something to edge him over Wilson and Welch. Weird take by Herman here.

Finally Oladapo, it is true he hasn't shown much in training camp so far due to injury and being over shadowed by Bullard and Williams but he is a draft pick and he offers something unique that he can play safety and linebacker. His college tape is pretty good so can't ignore that. Keeping him on the roster would free up a roster spot elsewhere. Instead of having two players, a safety and a linebacker, you have can just one in Oladapo. He will provide bottom of the roster depth in both positions while his main focus will be on special teams. He's the reason why Anthony Johnson is not a lock in my eyes because keeping Oladapo would make it four safeties on the roster. Would we keep 5? maybe, Herman certainly thinks so but Johnson is very much on the fringe here for me. However the uncertainty around Oladapo does not make me think he is a good bet.

In the next tier below are players with a shot to make the roster but also equally likely to be cut, Herman identified 24 players and he theorised that there would be only 8 roster spots left at that point.

He lists Clifford, Em.Wilson, DuBose, Heath, Sims, T.Davis, J.Wilson, Dillard, Newman, Telfort, C.Jones, L.Smith, Jennings, Glover, Tenuta (I see he hasn't ruled out any OL as definite cuts in his eyes), Cox, Mosby, Ford, Welch, Ballentine, Rochell, Anderson, Carlson, Joseph.

He's not wrong on any of them but he was a little too generous with our OL, I consider Smith and Tenuta as definite cuts. He was a little harsh putting Clifford in this tier. If we keep 3 QB then Clifford and Pratt would be "extremely good bets", obviously. If we keep two then Clifford and Pratt would be fall this category. The fact he split these two guys into different categories shows he has no idea if he keeping 2 or 3 QB for his roster prediction.

His definite cuts/PS candidates are Howard, Merriweather, McCrary, Toure, Stanley, Hicks, Wayne, Swinson, Banks, Alexandre, Odumegwu, Allen, Morton, Ester, Waege, Young, Goforth, Russell, Green, LJ Davis, Sapp and Hale.

I agree with all of it except for Goforth. I still think he has an outside chance getting ahead of Wilson and Welch. I also wonder if we will see a surprise on the DL. Ester or Waege perhaps?

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chili said:

I've just watched Andy Herman latest video about his 53 man roster prediction. For someone who visited every training camp session he has some interesting takes.

He has 39 locks to make the roster, Herman trotted out all the usual expected names except he included Colby Wooden, Anthony Johnson and Kalen King

I'm surprised at those three, I think they should be in the next tier or two below. Herman did say if there was anyone on his locks list being a surprise cut it would be either King or Wooden. Zero mention of Johnson...in his mind 100% is making the roster despite the fact we already have three safeties ahead of him, McKinney, Bullard and Williams. I think he's a little too in love with Anthony Johnson.

In the next tier "Extremely good bets" he named 6 players, Pratt, Dillon, Melton, E.Wilson, Oladapo, Orzech. Almost everything about this I disagree with. Only Orzech is a good bet if you're gambling with real life money.

So far Clifford in training camp has been the no.2 QB, whilst Pratt has been showing nice things I don't think the status quo has changed yet. So placing Pratt as a good bet is a little too early for me. Of course that might change after the remaining preseason games. However I think the indications are the Packers will be keeping three QB on the roster with Clifford as the backup.

Dillon is in no way an extremely good bet, Jacobs is taking a roster spot, Lloyd is a draft pick will take a roster spot, Wilson has shown more talent running the ball. If Dillon continues to struggle doing basic RB things then he will be on the fringes of the roster.

Melton is probably the best of the extremely good bets but not if DuBose and Heath has anything to say about it, we can't keep all the WRs, someone surprising will be cut.

I'm not even sure why E.Wilson is even on this list. The linebackers spots are all taken by Walker, Cooper, Hopper. After that there's likely just one roster spot available assuming Oladapo is the "5th linebacker". That roster spot literally could be anyone. If all things are equal the Packers will keep the younger guy over the older guy every time. WIlson is 29 years old, Welch is 26 and apparently is a better special teamer. Goforth is 23 and is getting alot of snaps with injuries to the main guys at the moment and he might show something to edge him over Wilson and Welch. Weird take by Herman here.

Finally Oladapo, it is true he hasn't shown much in training camp so far due to injury and being over shadowed by Bullard and Williams but he is a draft pick and he offers something unique that he can play safety and linebacker. His college tape is pretty good so can't ignore that. Keeping him on the roster would free up a roster spot elsewhere. Instead of having two players, a safety and a linebacker, you have can just one in Oladapo. He will provide bottom of the roster depth in both positions while his main focus will be on special teams. He's the reason why Anthony Johnson is not a lock in my eyes because keeping Oladapo would make it four safeties on the roster. Would we keep 5? maybe, Herman certainly thinks so but Johnson is very much on the fringe here for me. However the uncertainty around Oladapo does not make me think he is a good bet.

In the next tier below are players with a shot to make the roster but also equally likely to be cut, Herman identified 24 players and he theorised that there would be only 8 roster spots left at that point.

He lists Clifford, E.Wilson, DuBose, Heath, Sims, T.Davis, J.Wilson, Dillard, Newman, Telfort, C.Jones, L.Smith, Jennings, Glover, Tenuta (I see he hasn't ruled out any OL as definite cuts in his eyes), Cox, Mosby, Ford, Welch, Ballentine, Rochell, Anderson, Carlson, Joseph.

He's not wrong on any of them but he was a little too generous with our OL, I consider Smith and Tenuta as definite cuts. He was a little harsh putting Clifford in this tier. If we keep 3 QB then Clifford and Pratt would be "extremely good bets", obviously. If we keep two then Clifford and Pratt would be fall this category. The fact he split these two guys into different categories shows he has no idea if he keeping 2 or 3 QB for his roster prediction.

His definite cuts/PS candidates are Howard, Merriweather, McCrary, Toure, Stanley, Hicks, Wayne, Swinson, Banks, Alexandre, Odumegwu, Allen, Morton, Ester, Waege, Young, Goforth, Russell, Green, LJ Davis, Sapp and Hale.

I agree with all of it except for Goforth. I still think he has an outside chance getting ahead of Wilson and Welch. I also wonder if we will see a surprise on the DL. Ester or Waege perhaps?

Interesting information, I think I have Oladapo as my 5th safety. If he can play some linebacker great. I think Wilson makes it as LB 5. 

My last go round with my 53 I had 2 QBs with Clifford being out. We shall see in another 10 days or so. 

2 hours ago, Chili said:

Lloyd's hammy makes him a good bet to start the season on IR.  Even if he makes the initial 53, I'd be shocked if he saw early action.  So yes, Dillon is an extremely good bet to make the 53.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Interesting information, I think I have Oladapo as my 5th safety. If he can play some linebacker great. I think Wilson makes it as LB 5. 

My last go round with my 53 I had 2 QBs with Clifford being out. We shall see in another 10 days or so. 

I forgot to include McDuffie. There's likely just one more LB roster spot available.

And yet Herman named Eric Wilson as an extremely good bet. That's a bad take imo, that 5th linebacker spot could be anybody.

Then there the safeties, three are locks. If Oladapo is kept on he would make safety number 4 (and also linebacker number 6) which is why i'm questioning the likelihood of Anthony Johnson making the roster that Herman seems to believe.

One possibility we keep just 4 linebackers and 5 safeties. This would allow us to keep both Johnson and Oladapo. Oladapo would then act as 5th linebacker in this scenario.

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that Zayne Anderson has been playing upback on ST. He might be a wild card. He's playing lot of ST snaps. He has the most ST snaps out of anybody in the last preseason game. To be fair Eric Williams has been doing upback snaps too so for that reason alone it's unlikely Anderson makes the roster.

In the unlikely scenario he does sneak onto the roster then it will be either at Oladapo or Johnson expense. Probably Oladapo.

A scenario of 5 linebackers and 5 safeties? No way. I cannot see it. A major cut will have to happen elsewhere, cutting a 3rd QB (Clifford Pratt), or cutting a 6th WR (Melton Heath), cutting a 5th edge rusher (Wooden, Cox, Mosby), cutting a 4th TE (Sims Davis) in order to do this.

31 minutes ago, Chili said:

I forgot to include McDuffie. There's likely just one more LB roster spot available.

And yet Herman named Eric Wilson as an extremely good bet. That's a bad take imo, that 5th linebacker spot could be anybody.

Then there the safeties, three are locks. If Oladapo is kept on he would make safety number 4 (and also linebacker number 6) which is why i'm questioning the likelihood of Anthony Johnson making the roster that Herman seems to believe.

One possibility we keep just 4 linebackers and 5 safeties. This would allow us to keep both Johnson and Oladapo. Oladapo would then act as 5th linebacker in this scenario.

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that Zayne Anderson has been playing upback on ST. He might be a wild card. He's playing lot of ST snaps. He has the most ST snaps out of anybody in the last preseason game. To be fair Eric Williams has been doing upback snaps too so for that reason alone it's unlikely Anderson makes the roster.

In the unlikely scenario he does sneak onto the roster then it will be either at Oladapo or Johnson expense. Probably Oladapo.

A scenario of 5 linebackers and 5 safeties? No way. I cannot see it. A major cut will have to happen elsewhere, cutting a 3rd QB (Clifford Pratt), or cutting a 6th WR (Melton Heath), cutting a 5th edge rusher (Wooden, Cox, Mosby), cutting a 4th TE (Sims Davis) in order to do this.

I kind of agree with Herman about Eric Wilson being a good bet. It might be the fifth linebacker in that the other four are locks, but he is still listed as the third linebacker on the depth chart. The two rookies missed enough time that I think they'll go with the guy they are most comfortable with actually playing linebacker now for the fifth spot, and by all indications, that is Wilson.

As far as keeping five safeties and five linebackers, I don't know that it is that hard. My base for projections right now (and I'm going with the guess that Lloyd starts on IR) is 2 QBs, 3 RBs, 6 WR, 4 TEs, 8 OL, 9DL, 5 LB, 6 CBs, 5 S. That leaves two slots left for either QB3, OL9, DE5, or someone primarily there for special teams (Rochell, Anderson, Welch, or, if he isn't in the top 6 at receiver, Heath). I guess Ford could be a consideration, but keeping 6 defensive tackles is a tough ask. I kind of think, as of right now, DE5 is the least likely of those. I don't know that Cox or Mosby have done enough to distinguish themselves from each other to the point where you think you'll be able to sign at least one to the practice squad.

As for the offensive line, the 8 number hinges on Monk moving ahead of Newman in the pecking order. I think Newman and Dillard have to be in the top 8 to make the team. None of the tackles competing with Dillard are locks, so swapping them is zero-sum, but Monk is almost certain to make the team. If Monk passes (or has passed) Newman, then the potential for a ninth lineman comes down to, has Telfort or Jones impressed enough to make the team but not enough to pass Dillard? Can Jennings show enough in two weeks of work to actually make the team? Is Glover a viable option despite currently being listed as a fourth-teamer? If the answer to all of those is no, then there is a good chance that CB7, S6 or LB6 makes the roster for special teams and the Packers just overload their practice squad with offensive linemen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chili said:

Wooden seems like a lock to me.  I can't recall us releasing very many 4th round picks a year remove from being drafted.  And I'd put Anthony Johnson Jr. as unlikely to be released.  He played too many snaps against Cleveland, and played ST snaps as well.  Unless the Packers are content going into the season with only 4 safeties (McKinney, Bullard, Williams, and Oladpo) it seems that AJJ has a good chance of being S5 on the 53 man roster.  Karen King is probably a bit more questionable, but it wouldn't be the first time Green Bay has opted to carry a draft pick over a veteran who offered immediate ST value.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Wooden seems like a lock to me.  I can't recall us releasing very many 4th round picks a year remove from being drafted.  And I'd put Anthony Johnson Jr. as unlikely to be released.  He played too many snaps against Cleveland, and played ST snaps as well.  Unless the Packers are content going into the season with only 4 safeties (McKinney, Bullard, Williams, and Oladpo) it seems that AJJ has a good chance of being S5 on the 53 man roster.  Karen King is probably a bit more questionable, but it wouldn't be the first time Green Bay has opted to carry a draft pick over a veteran who offered immediate ST value.

I remember we cut a 4th round DB as a rookie, but that was a while ago. 

Edited by Old Guy