2024 Vikings 53-Man "Final" Roster

It's not really required to have a Tyler Boyd-type as your 3rd WR, if that's what you're expecting.  That's a nice to have, not a requirement, especially when the 3rd WR probably isn't going to receive a large share of targets.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Darnold gets the first team reps and the ability to "keep" his job by his performance, enhancing his value. McCarthy has to compete with Hall to move up a rung, and Hall can fight to keep what he has earned so far.

Bringing this over from the JJ thread...

Hall will need to take a pretty significant step forward to win the backup job IMO. As of today, I'd prefer to keep Mullens over Hall. I'm not exactly sure what you're bolded reference is to either. What exactly has Hall earned?

QB1: Darnold
QB2: Mullens
QB3: JJ

1 minute ago, VikeManDan said:

What exactly has Hall earned?

he got the start in a game, he played well until he got his bell rung.

presumably he knows the players and plays better than McCarthy right now.

i mean, the conversation you brought this over from was a couple of guys stating how they feel JJ will start out as the #3, so Hall has earned the #2 spot.

might only last a week or two, but we're talking about where they start off.

6 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

But he got that start because Mullens was unavailable. IMO he (Hall) has to unseat Mullens for QB2.

ok, fair enough.

i'll put it this way - once Mullens or Hall gets cut by KOC, then the remaining guy earned his place!

Posted (edited)

I'm the opposite...I'd prefer to keep Hall over Mullens. We know what Mullens is. He can certainly be productive, but he's also guaranteed to turn the ball over 3 times a game. I don't want that as any sort of example for my young QB (especially when the starter also has that history).  While Hall wasn't that impressive in his return, I hope he'll have made enough strides in the offseason so that they don't have to even think about not keeping him as the primary backup. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Powell has been average so far in his career. that does not mean he has topped out.

Possibly. We've seen guys in their late 20s early 30s have 1 or 2 big years before topping off like Lorenzo Alexander or Peyton Hillis.

It's just very unlikely for that to be the norm though.

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm the opposite...I'd prefer to keep Hall over Mullens. We know what Mullens is. He can certainly be productive, but he's also guaranteed to turn the ball over 3 times a game. I don't want that as any sort of example for my young QB (especially when the starter also has that history).  While Hall wasn't that impressive in his return, I hope he'll have made enough strides in the offseason so that they don't have to even think about not keeping him as the primary backup. 

I'm not entirely worried about the examples Darnold/Mullens do/don't set. That's what KOC and McCown are for.

If Hall takes a step forward and unseats Mullens I am all for it. Offseason practices have only just begun and there is a lot for the coaches to see yet.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

This 100%

• Like 2

I think most people would prefer to keep Hall over Mullens, but for that to be sensible Hall will need to beat out Mullens. 

If Hall can’t beat out Mullens, then there’s no need to roster him. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

QB: Sam Darnold- J.J. McCarthy

RB: Aaron Jones- Ty Chandler- Kene Nwangwu

FB: CJ Ham

WR: Justin Jefferson- Jordan Addison- Jalen Nailor- Brandon Powell- Thayer Thomas

TE: TJ Hockenson- Josh Oliver- Johnny Mundt- Robert Tonyan

LT: Christian Darrisaw- Walter Rouse

LG: Blake Brandel- Michael Jurgens

C: Garrett Bradbury- Dan Feeney

RG: Ed Ingram

RT: Brian O’Neill- David Quessenberry

DT: Jerry Tillery- Jonah Williams

NT: Harrison Phillips- Jaquelin Roy

DT: Jonathan Bullard- Jihad Ward

OLB: Jonathan Greenard- Gabriel Murphy

ILB: Ivan Pace- Kami Grugier Hill

ILB: Blake Cashman- Brian Asamoah

OLB: Andrew Van Ginkel- Dallas Turner

CB: Byron Murphy- Mekhi Blackmon- Khyree Jackson

SS: Harrison Smith- Josh Metellus- Lewis Cine

FS: Cam Bynum- Theo Jackson- Jay Ward

CB: Shaq Griffin- Akayleb Evans- Andrew Booth

K- Will Reichard

P- Ryan Wright

LS- Andrew Depaola

Notable cuts/ practice squad candidates: Nick Mullens, Jaren Hall, Trent Sherfield, Trishton Jackson, Levi Rodriguez, Patrick Jones, Andre Carter, and Najee Thompson. 

Surprise breakout candidates: I think that Thayer Thomas and Gabriel Murphy will surprise the coaches throughout training camp and make the roster. Thayer Thomas reminds me of Adam Thielen. He’s got the same chip on his shoulder, makes contested catches and has great body control. He has also really improved his route running ability, so I’m rooting for him to be our big slot receiver. Also Gabriel Murphy has some real pass rushing upside and he can provide value in that department, more than Patrick Jones and Andre Carter can, so I think that he’ll take their spot as the 4th pass rusher off the bench. Also Jihad Ward can play a versatile role as a hybrid DT, and OLB off the edge, so that makes Patrick Jones even more expendable. Then contrary to popular belief, I believe that Lewis Cine, Andrew Booth and Brian Asamoah will all show enough improvement to make the roster. Overall I’d be happy if this is what our 53 man roster looks like. 

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 1