2024 Vikings 53-Man "Final" Roster

44 minutes ago, swede700 said:

You mean like the conditional seventh rd pick that we gave up to get Mullens (which the Raiders used to draft MJ Devonshire one pick before the Vikings took Jurgens with a pick the Vikings acquired in the trade to get Dobbs from Arizona).

I'd trade him for one right now! Why not?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

If Mullens looks decent in the preseason getting a late draft pick for him seems very possible.  I would be in favor of that.

No question and if they could get a late round draft pick for him  I would be all for it.  But the sad reality is, if the Vikings keep him for some reason and McCarthy cannot beat him out that is just sad.  

And honestly keeping three QBs would be foolish because like someone has already said, if Hall was put on the practice squad I doubt anyone would go sign him off it.  

And these guys are free agent QBs currently not signed, and a few I would say are clearly better than Mullens.  

Ryan Tannehill
Brian Hoyer
Blaine Gabbert
Matt Barkley
Trevor Siemian
AJ McCarron
Logan Woodside
Ben DiNucci

But in terms of teams wanting to trade for a guy like Mullens, not sure there are many unless some major injuries happen.  Every single team in the NFL has two solid QBs on the roster and some have four.  Like the Patriots I doubt they all of a sudden cut Milton so Zappe could be out or they get rid of Brissett and I would say Zappe is better than Mullens is.

I would say the Ravens and the Dolphins have the worst backup QB spot in the NFL with Mike White/Thompson on the Dolphins and Josh Johnson/Leary on the Ravens.  Possibly the Bucs as well with Kyle Trask/Wolford.  Not sure I would take Mullens over White/Thompson but might over Josh Johnson/Leary and not sure I would take Mullens over Trask/Wolford though.  Odd thing is sure Mullens puts up stats but he turns it over so much so what if he can get statistics passing, turn it over that much you will more often than not lose.  

49ers not a great backup QB spot currently with Dobbs, Allen and Mordeaci but I bet Mordecai impresses at camp and not sure Dobbs fits that offense but we will see.  

All depends on injuries though and if that happen or not.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

If Mullens looks decent in the preseason getting a late draft pick for him seems very possible.  I would be in favor of that.

I think we did this with Sage Rosenfels back in 2010. We had Favre, Jackson, Webb and him on the roster and Rosenfels killed it that preseason.

In the 3 games that Mullens started, the Vikings scored more than 20 points. While his turnovers weren’t great, the complete collapse of the defense in the last month of the season had a far greater impact on the team losing. 

What Mullens did show, that none of the other backup QBs last year showed, was that he knew the offense, he was capable of executing the offense, and he could create scoring opportunities. 

You can’t expect much more from a backup QB. And with no one else on the roster who’s proven to be capable, you can’t get rid of your only option until someone proves otherwise. 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

In the 3 games that Mullens started, the Vikings scored more than 20 points. While his turnovers weren’t great, the complete collapse of the defense in the last month of the season had a far greater impact on the team losing. 

What Mullens did show, that none of the other backup QBs last year showed, was that he knew the offense, he was capable of executing the offense, and he could create scoring opportunities. 

You can’t expect much more from a backup QB. And with no one else on the roster who’s proven to be capable, you can’t get rid of your only option until someone proves otherwise. 

Very true, and Murphy being out defensively last year late they totally sucked without him in there defensively.  And sure it was not all Mullen's fault but his gun slinging and taking gambles worked out at times and other times did not workout with costly interceptions.  

But if Mullen was indeed that solid with the offense and stable, why not have him be the starter if McCarthy/ (rookie QB) is not able to go, and not sign Sam Darnold for $10 mil?

Could have signed a solid vet with that $10 mil for one year instead.  So clearly even the staff/GM do not think that highly of Mullens or they would have never made the move to get Darnold for that pretty large amount.  And it does seem silly to keep Mullens around unless McCarthy is so behind he cannot even be the 2nd QB and should not be put in at all this year, then having Mullens around would be far more important.  

Back to the LG spot for the Vikings, here are the Free agent guards still unsigned.  Maybe they really think Blake Brandel is the guy but not sure he showed so much last year or played better than Risner did last year.  

Dalton Risner
Nick Gates
Mark Glowinski
Halapoulivaati Vaitai
Phil Haynes

Still is nuts to think Ezra Cleveland the guy Risner took the place of and greatly outplayed last year as a Viking compared to Cleveland and improved the overall group.  Ezra is getting $8 mil a year for three years and Risner is sitting around wondering if he will ever play in the NFL again or even make a $3 mil next year.  Nuts, and sure two year age different between them but still Risner was solid last year and deserves at least a contract by someone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

But the sad reality is, if the Vikings keep him for some reason and McCarthy cannot beat him out that is just sad.  

so... it's a sad reality if a non likely hypothetical comes true?

how is that discussing reality?

13 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

so... it's a sad reality if a non likely hypothetical comes true?

how is that discussing reality?

Joke all you want, if JJ McCarthy ends up being the 3rd QB on the roster and cannot beat out Darnold or Mullens.  That could be a problem, especially when some consider him a potential rookie of the year which I do not buy at all.  Still he better be better than Nick Mullens right now.  

And again if they feel so skeptical about Darnold and McCarthy to keep Mullens around that also is kind of a problem I would say considering how highly they drafted McCarthy and how much they paid Darnold even if for only one year.  I do not think that will be the case, but it would be pretty sad if it is.  

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

...if JJ McCarthy ends up being the 3rd QB on the roster and cannot beat out Darnold or Mullens.  That could be a problem...

do you think this is going to happen? is it your prediction?

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Very true, and Murphy being out defensively last year late they totally sucked without him in there defensively.  And sure it was not all Mullen's fault but his gun slinging and taking gambles worked out at times and other times did not workout with costly interceptions.  

But if Mullen was indeed that solid with the offense and stable, why not have him be the starter if McCarthy/ (rookie QB) is not able to go, and not sign Sam Darnold for $10 mil?

Could have signed a solid vet with that $10 mil for one year instead.  So clearly even the staff/GM do not think that highly of Mullens or they would have never made the move to get Darnold for that pretty large amount.  And it does seem silly to keep Mullens around unless McCarthy is so behind he cannot even be the 2nd QB and should not be put in at all this year, then having Mullens around would be far more important.  

Back to the LG spot for the Vikings, here are the Free agent guards still unsigned.  Maybe they really think Blake Brandel is the guy but not sure he showed so much last year or played better than Risner did last year.  

Dalton Risner
Nick Gates
Mark Glowinski
Halapoulivaati Vaitai
Phil Haynes

Still is nuts to think Ezra Cleveland the guy Risner took the place of and greatly outplayed last year as a Viking compared to Cleveland and improved the overall group.  Ezra is getting $8 mil a year for three years and Risner is sitting around wondering if he will ever play in the NFL again or even make a $3 mil next year.  Nuts, and sure two year age different between them but still Risner was solid last year and deserves at least a contract by someone.

Presumably, McCarthy will be the #1 once he hits O'Connell's "benchmarks." Until then, he's going to be the project/emergency QB, behind a capable backup (Mullens/Hall). It's not about McCarthy being better than Mullens.

Also, Risner is a one-sided blocker who likely over-values his services. He may have outplayed Ezra in the passing game, but he is a poor run blocker.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

You're not signing a "solid veteran" for $10M.  This isn't 2014. 

Edit:  I guess you were talking about another position, not QB.  But still, there's no way they could have gone into the season with Mullens as the starter.  That would have been irresponsible. That would have been like the Raiders going into the season with Aiden O'Connell and Gardner Minshew battling for the starting position (if not worse). At least the Vikings have a young draft pick to fall back on. The Raiders have nothing.  Mullens is a guy you may be able to get by with for a game or 2, not 17.

And just because McCarthy may end up being QB3 doesn't mean that Mullen/Hall "beat" him. If you believe that, then you're being way too literal. Like in baseball, a high draft pick may be better right now than some of the players on your roster, but you still start him in the minors anyway because he's not ready for the majors yet. That doesn't mean those players currently at the major league level are better than him...it's just that they have more experience than him and are more prepared to play at the major league level.  It's far more complex than just being "better."   

Edited by swede700
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

stop making sense.

If he isn't QB1 by OTA 3 then cut his bottom!

I'm interested in how/if the Vikings can game the emergency QB rule to "create" an additional roster spot (mentioned a few pages back). If McCarthy needs time (totally reasonable for a rookie 21 year old to need refinement and more time to learn the system backwards-and-forwards before he plays in the regular season), it sounded like someone was saying the team could roster Darnold at QB1, McCarthy at QB2, but utilize Mullins (from the practice squad) as the actual backup (if Darnold went down) via the emergency QB rule.

No clue if that is valid (off to read more about it), but that would be in keeping with KAM's "winning at the margins" philosophy.

EDIT- disregard; according to the letter of the law you could potentially do it if McCarthy came in for a play and pretended to be injured but by the spirit of the rule this setup doesn't work.

Edited by sinceAtikevike