2024 Team Outlook

AKRNA

19 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Zach Wilson could be a hall of famer if he got his head on straight. The kid has insane physical skills. 

That said I’m not betting on it one bit. I just hope Sean doesn’t pussyfoot around and start Stidham which would just be a waste of time. I also don’t see a way the fanbase and media are going to allow it, and Sean doesn’t want to spend every press conference answering for why Nix isn’t starting. 

Well, as part of the fanbase, I'd love to see Zack beat out Nix in a competition for QB1 where Nix also performs exceptionally well.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Well, as part of the fanbase, I'd love to see Zack beat out Nix in a competition for QB1 where Nix also performs exceptionally well.  

How 'bout this?

Nix looks good in preseason but is still way behind Wilson and Stidham. Stidham signs a short extension, starts and really lights it up, top 5 stuff. About mid season he goes down for 4 games, Wilson comes in and shows why he was the 2nd pick a few years ago, playing just great. 

Being out of the playoffs Nix starts the last game and plays well, showing he's ready to start.

During the offseason Paton gets back the draft picks he gave up for Russ, trading both Stidham and Wilson. Nix stays as our QB, signs team friendly deals and after a decade or so retires with multiple rings and everybody lives happily ever after!

Beat that @jsthomp2007.

Edited by AKRNA
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

During the offseason Paton gets back the draft picks he gave up for Russ, trading both Stidham and Wilson. Nix stays as our QB, signs team friendly deals and after a decade or so retires with multiple rings and everybody lives happily ever after!

Beat that @jsthomp2007.

Wilson is only under contract for one season .

I know some won’t agree with this, but I’d start Nix day 1. 

You only have 5 years of him under cost control. Might as well take the growing pains now and then have him ready to play to his full potential (whatever that is) by year 2-3 so that if he does work out, we can go all in to try and get a superbowl while he’s on that rookie contract.

I don’t see how going .500 with Zach Wilson (or even Stidham) benefits anyone. All that means is you’re gonna need a reset year with Nix next year before he plays well.

Take the reset now and expedite the process of finding out whether or not Nix is the guy. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I know some won’t agree with this, but I’d start Nix day 1. 

You only have 5 years of him under cost control. Might as well take the growing pains now and then have him ready to play to his full potential (whatever that is) by year 2-3 so that if he does work out, we can go all in to try and get a superbowl while he’s on that rookie contract.

I don’t see how going .500 with Zach Wilson (or even Stidham) benefits anyone. All that means is you’re gonna need a reset year with Nix next year before he plays well.

Take the reset now and expedite the process of finding out whether or not Nix is the guy. 

Well, the "let them sit a year and learn the game" has quite a few success stories. Mahomes, Brady, Montana, Brees..............................

Quite a long storied list there. The "toss em in the deep end" theory has no where near as many successes and a huge number of spectacular busts. Nothing ruins a QB's career quicker than atarting as a rookie on a bad team. Just ask Zach.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Well, the "let them sit a year and learn the game" has quite a few success stories. Mahomes, Brady, Montana, Brees..............................

Quite a long storied list there. The "toss em in the deep end" theory has no where near as many successes and a huge number of spectacular busts. Nothing ruins a QB's career quicker than atarting as a rookie on a bad team. Just ask Zach.

Mahomes was behind a decent QB in Alex Smith who led multiple different teams to the playoffs. Brady was behind Bledsoe, another long time starter. Brees was behind Bledsoe, 66 career starts and a good record. Montana way before my time.

My point is, very few NFL teams sit a guy for the sake of sitting him. Normally you sit a guy because you currently have a veteran QB you sit about. That’s why Aaron Rodgers sat, why Jordan Love sat, and why Michael Penix Jr will sit.

The three veteran QBs on the Broncos roster have a combined record of 13-25 as starters in the NFL. Starting any of them is effectively tanking the season. Might as well throw Nix in there to see if he’s any good or not.

23 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

My point is, very few NFL teams sit a guy for the sake of sitting him.

Actually, they sit them so they can learn the NFL game without getting their brains beat out.

I'd be surprised if Nix starts week 1. If Nix starts and is bad, the whispers start for Wilson or Stidham to start. Once you switch, you can't go back.

If Wilson or Stidham start week 1 and suck, then you can easily justify going to Nix and sticking with him as we then know the alternative already sucks.

If Wilson or Stidham play well by some miracle, you can bide time for Nix to learn.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I'd be surprised if Nix starts week 1. If Nix starts and is bad, the whispers start for Wilson or Stidham to start. Once you switch, you can't go back.

If Wilson or Stidham start week 1 and suck, then you can easily justify going to Nix and sticking with him as we then know the alternative already sucks.

If Wilson or Stidham play well by some miracle, you can bide time for Nix to learn.

I agree that's probably the route they go especially if they make it an open competition.  If Nix is going to be the guy then he needs to get all the first team reps. Maybe they wanna start him against the 3's and boost his confidence. 

Only negative in this scenario is pulling the plug on a guy 1 week into the season with Nix not having first team reps I think that can be a losing hand.

CJ Stroud had a great point on Bo Nix. He said Bo is in a unique situation because he faced adversity in College and bounced back from it not many guys face that type of adversity in college. And he also said experience is the best teacher.

Posted (edited)

I understand what lomax is saying about starting Nix too early and if he sucks then you have to start Stidham/Wilson and it's hard to go back to Nix after benching him. Then we have a QB carousel and the whole thing is a total mess. 

But I come back to this - what have we heard from Nix supporters from draft night to today? We've heard he is mature, experienced, faced and bounced back from adversity in college, that he processes well, that doesn't matter if he doesn't have a strong arm because the NFL is a dink-and-dunk league, etc. All that sounds to me that he is "pro ready." 

Furthermore, we do not have an established starter on the roster, a la KC when they had Alex Smith and drafted Patrick Mahomes, we're not the Packers with Favre-Rodgers-Love. We have a decrepit roster and zero expectations. If I'm Sean, I announce today that Nix will be starter and I give him ALL the first team reps in minicamps, training camp, the preseason games and start him week 1. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

If I'm Sean, I announce today that Nix will be starter and I give him ALL the first team reps in minicamps, training camps, the preseason games and start him week 1. 

I tend to agree. Denver averaged 19 ppg with Wilson, including just under 17 in 2022. Nix will have a mile long leash as he develops. And the things he’s good at (fast processing, fast getting the ball out, extremely accurate on short/intermediate throws) will help protect him as he gets his feet wet. I will not be shocked one bit if our offense ends up running markedly smoother with Nix than it ever did with Wilson, because he’s a better fit for Payton’s system. 

Posted (edited)

Here is an interesting stat I just saw on Twitter - the Broncos have the fourth-highest percentage of returning players league-wide at 78.2%, surpassed only by Green Bay (81.8%), Tampa (79.5%) and Indy (79.3%). 

On the one hand, that means we haven't exactly rebuilt the roster despite it being one of the thinnest in the league. But, on the other hand, it means that we have a lot of guys who have now spent a year (or more for the Saints castoffs we've signed) under Sean and thus they know his expectations, system, style, etc., and he knows their strengths and weaknesses and how they fit what he wants to do. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 2