2024 Team Outlook

AKRNA

I couldn't really figure out which heading to post under so thought I'd start a "post draft" thread. 

Here's kind of an interesting quirk about our QB room. I'm not sure I've ever quite seen this. Usually you'd look at Nix, figure he's Seans guy, and know it's just a matter of time before he's our leader. Basically, Sean will be biased about his QB selection due to draft position and wanting to look good.

The thing is, all our QB's are "Seans guy". He targeted Stidham on the first day of FA last year and paid him  $10 million, lots more than any other offers. Just a few days before the draft he traded for Wilson, even knowing he'd be drafting Nix in a few days. Lastly he signed Dinucci from the XFL last year and just recently re-signed him for 2024.

Bottom line, all 4 QB's were handpicked by Sean. If any of them make it It'll be "His Guy".

Posted (edited)

One they spent the 12th overall pick on, one they gave $10 million over two years, and one they swapped a 6th and a 7th round pick and had the Jets take up half his salary. 

All things are not created equal. Nix Is pro ready and Sean Payton's and George Patons legacy will be tied to how he performs in Denver. Just mY two cents.

Edited by thebestever6

It is an interesting quirk and makes me wonder if he has different roles in mind for these guys. Dinucci I really have no idea what he could be thinking. Stidham he could legitimately see as a great backup who may be able to come in if starting QB gets injured and still keep most of the plays in the playbook.

Nix he will most certainly covet and didn't know for sure he would get when the Zach Wilson deal was made. Maybe Zach was supposed to be a backup plan if Nix went earlier than expected. Then again, I wouldn't put it past Sean to use Wilson's superior athleticism in some ways for 5ish plays a game...a variation on Taysom Hill sort of thing with designed runs or 2 QBs on the field at the same time and fakes of some sort. 

One thing's for sure, it will be very intriguing to see what he has up his sleeve

If Nix isn't the starter for 75% of the games this year (barring injury) I'd be shocked. 12th pick in the draft, the players behind him aren't good. Stidham could start by virtue of tenure I suppose, but realistically, I expect Nix will have every chance to start and should be seen as the presumptive favorite to do so.

Offensively, I think it'll be an interesting season. Let's say Nix plays halfway decent as a rookie. How does that happen? Likely with a strong ground game and playing to Nix's strengths (quick throws, one-read, short/intermediate throws). We may have the worst TE room in the league. It's putrid, so that's not something any of these guys can lean on. The running game should be okay, given the run block win rate of the OL and the number of bodies in the RB room. Maybe the hope is that more guys keeps everyone fresh. WR has a lot of bodies, but no can't miss guy. I think Josh Reynolds will actually have a fantastic season if Nix is QB just because he's not afraid to go over the middle and work that part of the field where Nix can succeed.

Defensively, also a mixed bag. We added some depth and bodies along the DL which is good. DJ Jones/Roach is a good NT combo, Zach Allen played well, JFM is a nice addition. Our LB room is a mess. ILBs are a joke. Singleton is trash, Barton isn't much better. OLB has no alpha. I assume it'll be another bottom third year with sacks. Secondary should also be a work in progress. It's basically Surtain and a bunch of question marks. Levi Wallace will get PT. I don't have many concerns about nickel with how McMillian played. Safety could either be a pleasant surprise or a massive issue. Time will tell.

I think this is very likely a below .500 team with a Top 10 pick again. Could be wrong, would love to be pleasantly surprised, but I see us struggling quite a bit in the beginning regardless of who the QB is. 

• Like 5

As long as Nix improves during the season and the team is competitive AND we find a way lose enough games to get a guy like James Pearce next year it’ll be great.  Small window right ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

One they spent the 12th overall pick on, one they gave $10 million over two years, and one they swapped a 6th and a 7th round pick and had the Jets take up half his salary. 

All things are not created equal. Nix Is pro ready and Sean Payton's and George Patons legacy will be tied to how he performs in Denver. Just mY two cents.

Well, I've heard many football guys, Madden, Brandt, Shula, it's a long list say there is no such thing as a pro-ready rookie. The difference between college and the NFL is just too large.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Well, I've heard many football guys, Madden, Brandt, Shula, it's a long list say there is no such thing as a pro-ready rookie. The difference between college and the NFL is just too large.

But he has 61 college career starts, he's smart, and is accurate.  At some point you have to turn the page. Bellicheck said he's close to being game ready I put some stock in that too.

offense there are just a ton of question marks.

Does Dulcich stay healthy ?

Does Patrick Stay healthy?

Does Javonte look better having another year removed from injury?

Does Mims step up with Russ being gone?

How much was our offense limited by Russ?

Our defense I have one main question can they stop the run?

If we can run the ball, and stop the run, and Nix is the chosen one I could totally see playoffs, but I can also see last place in the division. 

25 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

But he has 61 college career starts, he's smart, and is accurate.  At some point you have to turn the page. Bellicheck said he's close to being game ready I put some stock in that too.

You just hit on something I really found funny when I was reading up on Nix, that being the 61 college starts. One respected analyst would point out it being a positive, lots of game experience. Then another respected analysis would use the same issue being a negative, that after that many starts he still couldn't do xxx, or wasn't proficient at yyy.

It's definitely a wait and see.

• Like 1

Unless Nix is absolutely atrocious in camp, he will start from week 1 on. I know that one thing about him that appealed to Sean was his experience and his maturity. If we had a battle-tested, reliable, veteran bridge type, like Kurt Warner for the Giants during Eli’s rookie year, I could see them sitting him until around Halloween/Thanksgiving. But this fanbase, media and, most importantly, the locker room, isn’t going to go for Wilson/Stidham starting if Nix is anywhere close to being ready. And truthfully I would be surprised if Nix isn’t ready to start in week 1. 

Beyond that, I agree with what Ben said in that our roster has a lot of question marks and there will be a lot of competition in camp and the preseason as those depth charts get sorted out. Truth is this roster is awfully lacking in so many ways but it gives a lot of guys chances to compete for spots and improve. This is, and no one will ever say it, a rebuilding year.

I could see us flirting with .500 and I can see us being abysmal and ending up 3-14. We could end up with as many as five games that get scheduled at 11am since we have road games at BAL, CIN, TB, NO and NYJ, and we all know how well we do in morning games on the East Coast. Our division is no joke and our home games come against four teams who have designs on making the playoffs - PIT, CLE, IND, ATL - and also Carolina. 

Best case, we work 3-3 record against the division, 3-2 in non-AFCW home games and then 2-4 in the non-division road games, gets us to 8-9. The schedule will be huge, especially with how many of the five eastern trips get 11am kickoffs; I’d bet we end up with four 11ams and then an early season TNF tilt for Sean’s return to NOLA. 

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Defensively, also a mixed bag. We added some depth and bodies along the DL which is good. DJ Jones/Roach is a good NT combo, Zach Allen played well, JFM is a nice addition. Our LB room is a mess. ILBs are a joke. Singleton is trash, Barton isn't much better. OLB has no alpha. I assume it'll be another bottom third year with sacks. Secondary should also be a work in progress. It's basically Surtain and a bunch of question marks. Levi Wallace will get PT. I don't have many concerns about nickel with how McMillian played. Safety could either be a pleasant surprise or a massive issue. Time will tell.

I think this is very likely a below .500 team with a Top 10 pick again. Could be wrong, would love to be pleasantly surprised, but I see us struggling quite a bit in the beginning regardless of who the QB is. 

I thought we did as well as could be expected in FA, bringing in established vets on the DL. That can't hurt. Outside of that,  PSII is our only real talent on that side of the ball. I think our overall success as a unit will rely heavily on VJ and that just doesn't inspire confidence. Usually a unit, O or D has a solid identity. Our D just doesn't seem to have one. I think @BroncoBruin was the guy that mentioned leonhard would eventually take the DC job. Unless VJ can get some early positive results that may be sooner rather than later.

We also went from worst to first in the injury department not sure if that is repeated.

I do think people are overly pessimistic though.

passing yards per game 191.9 (24th ) This is just pedestrian brutal.

rushing yards 106.5 (18th) with the rbs we added and javonte another year removed from injury I definitely see an improvement here.

total yards per game 298.4 (26th again pedestrian.)

points scored per game 21 19th I guess this might not improve substantially but having a more top ball control offense may make these numbers better albeit the d being less on the field.

TOP 29.30 (22nd) I expect this to improve significantly. 

52 sacks allowed 27th I expect this to improve significantly. 

I do think the d got better but how much and I do not trust VJ.

Posted (edited)

Well, I for one, don't see Nix starting from Day 1. Most rookies fail to acclimate to the elevated speed of the NFL game, let alone the strategic defenses he's about to face. Truly can a devastating effect on a rookies confidence, why risk that ? It's the main reason we have Stidham and Wilson on the roster, alowing him time to get acclimate and build trust with his weapons/outlets.

I also believe this entire roster is bereft of talent, something a top draft pick (in each round round) will assist in building, along with $80M + in available Cap Space, seems like a prime opportunity to rebuild this roster.

Edited by Cutler06
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Well, I for one, don't see Nix starting from Day 1. Most rookies fail to acclimate to the elevated speed of the NFL game, let alone the strategic defenses he's about to face. Truly can a devastating effect on a rookies confidence, why risk that ? It's the main reason we have Stidham and Wilson on the roster, alowing him time to get acclimate and build trust with his weapons/outlets.

I also believe this entire roster is bereft of talent, something a top draft pick (in each round round) will assist in building, along with $80M + in available Cap Space, seems like a prime opportunity to rebuild this roster.

I agree. Right now we've got 4 young guys vying for that position. Our QB position is basically cost controlled for the next 5 years. The only thing that could drastically alter that would be to start Nix before he was ready, have him fall on his face and be replaced. At that point all the fans would be screaming, again, for us to draft a QB #1 next year. 

Just from a practical prospective there's really no benefit to Sean or the Bronco's to push Nix into a starting position. Give him all the time he needs, probably the entire season, holding a clipboard. If after camp he's won the team over, won the job and gives us the best chance of success, then fine, start him. 

There just really is no hurry. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I agree. Right now we've got 4 young guys vying for that position. Our QB position is basically cost controlled for the next 5 years. The only thing that could drastically alter that would be to start Nix before he was ready, have him fall on his face and be replaced. At that point all the fans would be screaming, again, for us to draft a QB #1 next year. 

Just from a practical prospective there's really no benefit to Sean or the Bronco's to push Nix into a starting position. Give him all the time he needs, probably the entire season, holding a clipboard. If after camp he's won the team over, won the job and gives us the best chance of success, then fine, start him. 

There just really is no hurry. 

Practically, sure. But Payton has a huge ego and he could make millions as an analyst. He's probably not all that interested in suffering through another 5-6 win season just to build for the future. The fanbase (right or wrong) doesn't have that patience either. Nix will start 12+ games this year I predict. 

Also to your earlier post about experience. I can see it both ways, but I believe one of the predictors of success in the pros has always been the amount of college experience a QB has. Not a hard and fast rule, but I think his experience can only help him