The Hafley Defense, Conquering the 49ers, and Ty'Ron Hopper

"I just couldn't do it anymore. The college game is too corrupted" is exactly the sort of thing a guy says when he's just left the college game. 

It's not the sort of thing a guys says when staring down the barrel of a $6,000,000 per year contract at Minnesota.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

"I just couldn't do it anymore. The college game is too corrupted" is exactly the sort of thing a guy says when he's just left the college game. 

It's not the sort of thing a guys says when staring down the barrel of a $6,000,000 per year contract at Minnesota.

Self deception is foundational to human agency; whether spiritual or analytical, belief systems launch us into action. Whether one leaves the college game or stays, one must believe in the rightness of the path or doubt will weaken resolve.

Everyone needs something to believe in.

W.C. Fields said, “I believe I’ll have another drink.”

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I believe him. There's just so much involved in being a college football head coach to absolutely hate if you really just love coaching football. Especially these days. 

You’re no longer recruiting players for 4-5 years of growth, culture and development. You are recruiting on a year to year basis making unearned playing time promises and writing checks.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

I believe him. There's just so much involved in being a college football head coach to absolutely hate if you really just love coaching football. Especially these days. 

Isn't that also the case with the NFL? High school is probably the highest level of football where the players will listen and play for the love of the game. 

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Isn't that also the case with the NFL? High school is probably the highest level of football where the players will listen and play for the love of the game. 

Love of the game, sure but I feel like the majority of pro players understand it’s a job and there’s no guarantee they are there tomorrow if they don’t listen. Tell me a couple million is on the line if I don’t listen, I’m gonna listen!

9 hours ago, Old Guy said:

No

On 6/21/2024 at 4:04 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Hafley is gone the second an NFL or good College head coaching gig is offered to him. 

Isn't that a good thing?  That means he's clearly fixed our defensive issues if he's getting HC gigs offered.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Isn't that a good thing?  That means he's clearly fixed our defensive issues if he's getting HC gigs offered.

Good that he fixed our defense. 

Bad that he would be gone. 

It's not really an issue so much as it is a refutation of the idea that guys are passing up HC roles 

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Good that he fixed our defense. 

Bad that he would be gone. 

It's not really an issue so much as it is a refutation of the idea that guys are passing up HC roles 

Based on his comments, it seems the college HC gigs are a thing of the past.  Now, obviously if a team like Ohio State or Alabama comes backing up the Brinks truck then it's a different discussion, but that doesn't seem like a guy who is itching to get back into the college HC business.

49 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Based on his comments, it seems the college HC gigs are a thing of the past.  Now, obviously if a team like Ohio State or Alabama comes backing up the Brinks truck then it's a different discussion, but that doesn't seem like a guy who is itching to get back into the college HC business.

See above:

Lot of hypotheticals getting thrown around right now. All we know is at this current moment in time Hafley was disillusioned with the changes in the college game and moved to the pros. Definitely more stability here with 5/4 year rookie contracts meaning no one can jump into the portal just as soon as you develop them. We know he’s our DC this year. We don’t know if he can get us to the next level or if he can, in how long. From there on in we will see what his next move would be but we’re speculating years down the road before we get to that junction. 

11 hours ago, Refugee said:

Lot of hypotheticals getting thrown around right now. All we know is at this current moment in time Hafley was disillusioned with the changes in the college game and moved to the pros. Definitely more stability here with 5/4 year rookie contracts meaning no one can jump into the portal just as soon as you develop them. We know he’s our DC this year. We don’t know if he can get us to the next level or if he can, in how long. From there on in we will see what his next move would be but we’re speculating years down the road before we get to that junction. 

I don't want to get off topic, but I'm torn on the portal. I am all for the kids getting paid to play. I also don't like them being stuck in one place. They need to change the portal somehow, someway. 

Maybe make a kid stay two years before transferring and only allow a kid to do it once. I don't know what the answer is but it's turned into a cluster**** for college football. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I don't want to get off topic, but I'm torn on the portal. I am all for the kids getting paid to play. I also don't like them being stuck in one place. They need to change the portal somehow, someway. 

Maybe make a kid stay two years before transferring and only allow a kid to do it once. I don't know what the answer is but it's turned into a cluster**** for college football. 

Just gotta stop pretending this **** is amateur athletics anymore. 

Let the kids collectively bargain and sign contracts. 

33 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just gotta stop pretending this **** is amateur athletics anymore. 

Let the kids collectively bargain and sign contracts. 

I'm over pretending these kids are amateur. They can't transfer teams in professional sports. You sign a rookie deal in the NFL, team controls you for 4 years. I'm only asking for two.