The Hafley Defense, Conquering the 49ers, and Ty'Ron Hopper

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

In addition, the draft added a pair of non-premium-pick Safeties in Evan Williams and Kitan Oladapo. At this point they're just bodies. I don't believe there's really a plan for them other than letting them be depth and ST guys, if they grow into something in the future, that's excellent, but it isn't expected.

I have been thinking recently that Gute very often doesn't have a fixed idea of where he expects a drafted player to play or what role he has. His view is more a 30,000 ft view where he listens to what the coaches want - and then drafts athletic guys he thinks the coaches can use. It is the coaches that have the power to define the roles of players more than the GM and probably the head coach and coordinators that tell the GM some of the specifics of what they want. Then it is down to Gute's staff  with himself as final arbiter, to choose someone the coaches can use and balance roster acquisition and management over the next year or three.

So, did Gute draft Morgan to be the OT of the future, well, probably his thinking is not that specific, he got a guy who could be an OT, but could also very likely play guard. Would Gute PREFER Morgan becomes a starting tackle, I'm virtually certain that's a 'yes', but if he starts somewhere on the line Gute has done his job, creating competition,  getting a starter and upgrading the line. How much the Packers are committed to making Morgan a LT depends on how the coaches see things over time and how THEY view Morgan once they have had some time to evaluate him.

The same applies to Williams and Olapado. Gute gets several guys he thinks can help at Safety. They are not all the same type, though all are fairly athletic. then he lets the coaches choose how to make the best use of each player to fit the different safety roles and special teams. Bullard is a more targeted pick as he was arguably the consensus no.1 safety at draft time, and therefore a very talented and flexible chess piece that can be used in multiple ways, hopefully able to flip-flop with McKinney in who does what.

The TL:DR of all this is that I'm suggesting Gute takes more of a generalist approach to drafting and the coaches are (necessarily) more specific in their approach.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

People expecting Hafley to turn this defense into a blitz heavy, man coverage focused defense are going to be disappointed. 

I must admit I was hoping the defense at least went some way towards this, not so much the blitzing (Barry blitzed a fair bit, sometimes), but more press man, more dictating to the enemies offense.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I have been thinking recently that Gute very often doesn't have a fixed idea of where he expects a drafted player to play or what role he has. His view is more a 30,000 ft view where he listens to what the coaches want - and then drafts athletic guys he thinks the coaches can use. It is the coaches that have the power to define the roles of players more than the GM and probably the head coach and coordinators that tell the GM some of the specifics of what they want. Then it is down to Gute's staff  with himself as final arbiter, to choose someone the coaches can use and balance roster acquisition.

So, did Gute draft Morgan to be the OT of the future, well, probably his thinking is not that specific, he got a guy who could be an OT, but could also very likely play guard. Would Gute PREFER Morgan becomes a starting tackle, I'm virtually certain that's a 'yes', but if he starts somewhere on the line Gute has done his job, creating competition,  getting a starter and upgrading the line. How much the Packers are committed to making Morgan a LT depends on how the coaches see things over time and how THEY view Morgan once they have had some time to evaluate him.

The same applies to Williams and Olapado. Gute gets several guys he thinks can help at Safety. They are not all the same type, though all are fairly athletic. then he lets the coaches choose how to make the best use of each player to fit the different safety roles and special teams. Bullard is a more targeted pick as he was arguably the consensus no.1 safety at draft time, and therefore a very talented and flexible chess piece that can be used in multiple ways, hopefully able to flip-flop with McKinney in who does what.

The TL:DR of all this is that I'm suggesting Gute takes more of a generalist approach to drafting and the coaches are (necessarily) more specific in their approach.

I must admit I was hoping the defense at least went some way towards this, not so much the blitzing (Barry blitzed a fair bit, sometimes), but more press man, more dictating to the enemies offense.

Coaches are super active in scouting players.

Once the season ends and they wrap up their self scout, most of the attention turns to college scouting. One of the reasons you tend to have huge swings in projections after the super bowl is that the coaches have gotten involved in the process. 

LaFleur, Stenovich, Butkus, and Gordon all looked at Morgan long before the draft and concluded he was LT material. 

All of the coaches, including the ST guys, weighed in on Williams and Oladapo.

NFL GMs don't just drop a group of players onto the laps of coaches and say "Surprise, check out who I think you guys wanted."

Obviously in some organizations coaches have more power than others, but your theory is pretty much nonsense. 

It's great content, the ironic thing about the premise of the post is that Joe Barry routinely shut down the Shanny tree. He just couldn't shut down bad offenses who were willing to methodically work the ball down field. I actually have no complaints about Joe Barry's playoff defense.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

It's great content, the ironic thing about the premise of the post is that Joe Barry routinely shut down the Shanny tree. He just couldn't shut down bad offenses who were willing to methodically work the ball down field. I actually have no complaints about Joe Barry's playoff defense.

The inverse of Dom Capers

Great vs good offenses, horrendous vs  bad offenses 

Good in the playoffs, horrible in the regular season

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Coaches are super active in scouting players.

Once the season ends and they wrap up their self scout, most of the attention turns to college scouting. One of the reasons you tend to have huge swings in projections after the super bowl is that the coaches have gotten involved in the process. 

LaFleur, Stenovich, Butkus, and Gordon all looked at Morgan long before the draft and concluded he was LT material. 

All of the coaches, including the ST guys, weighed in on Williams and Oladapo.

NFL GMs don't just drop a group of players onto the laps of coaches and say "Surprise, check out who I think you guys wanted."

Obviously in some organizations coaches have more power than others, but your theory is pretty much nonsense. 

Until your last two sentences I thought you were agreeing with me, which is that coaches/coordinators get a fairly detailed say in what they want and talk to the GM regularly about it. Then it is down to the GM to sift through players with the traits the coaches want, do much of the legwork in gathering detail and grinding tape, and ultimately choosing a specific player that fits both the coaches and their own criteria, as far as possible - and is also value at the pick they are taken. If there were not regular talks between GM and coaches about team needs, it would be a rather poorly run organisation.

A GM should ultimately choose the players, but sometimes does not, due to meddlesome owners and coaches with too much power................and I am wandering off-topic here.

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Over a broad view, yea, the defense played well enough to probably win both of the SF games from 2021 and 2023. 2021 was a complete disaster on offense and ST and 2023 we just didn't do enough with our offensive opportunities early on and then the drive that ended with the Carlson miss.

Still, what both games had in common though was that when SF got the ball and absolutely needed a score late the 4th, they got it both times. Sometimes as a defense in the playoffs, playing well for 55 minutes isn't good enough. The way Barry approached that last drive against Purdy and Co. was day and night different than the way Spags and KC approached similar situations against SF late in the SB. 

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

but I guarantee you McKinney is going to spend double the snaps in the box that Bullard is going to

I thought Bullard played in the box a lot? And that McKinney played single high a lot?

6 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

It was no secret Barry, in spite of his shortcomings, was brought it based on some of his success playing the 9ers and other Shanny tree offenses with the LAR. Indeed he showed he had some of the chops to get it done when we went up against those schemes.

I’m still pretty happy we let him go, Haf is an intense focused guy from his interview. I’m hoping he shows a real ability to evolve and adjust as the League makes its inevitable changes. This is a great breakdown of his core scheme. I think he’s hoping to put some wrinkles on it and hopefully successfully on an opponent by opponent basis. I’ll be an optimist until shown any reason to believe otherwise.