Mandatory Minicamp (6.4 - 6.6) | OTAs (6.10 - 6.13)

Some cool snippets from Alec Lewis' Athletic article (worth the subscription IMO).

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5510967/2024/05/22/vikings-otas-jj-mccarthy-sam-darnold/

"Offensive coordinator Wes Phillips complimented rookie quarterback J.J. McCarthy’s absorption of the system. McCarthy, Phillips said, arrives at the TCO Performance Center each morning having studied the previous day’s installation and more."

---------------------------------

"McCarthy has asked him countless questions inside the quarterback room in recent days, and Darnold has responded willingly and openly. The more he can share, he feels, the better."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Wouldn't touch the top 5. Maybe not even the top 10.

Cine’s injury absolves him from quite a bit. A compound fracture in the ankle is career, and life, altering. 

We really need to quit blaming Cine's injury on his poor performance. I think you could definitely make an argument that he is one of the worst 5 we've ever had. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

We really need to quit blaming Cine's injury on his poor performance. I think you could definitely make an argument that he is one of the worst 5 we've ever had. 

I don't blame his injury, although it certainly didn't help. However, Cine has already been on the team longer than Gladney was...and also Gerald Robinson.  If you solely base it off first-round picks, I do see the argument of being in the top 5, but if you include 2nd rounders, then it gets a little more murky, because you add in busts like Michael Boireau, Torrian Gray and James Manley.

I think this is a critical offseason for him, because he's actually spending his second year in the same system.  He didn't get off to a great start under Donatell and then in his first significant action he gets injured. That put him behind the 8-ball...and then he had to learn a whole new system after getting buried behind others.  He needs to take a leap this offseason and use the talent he was given to solidify a spot as the 4th safety, especially since it's going to be hard to leap ahead of Bynum or Metellus at this point.  He just needs to "ward" off Jay.  

Edited by swede700

With that said, McCarthy was primarily working as the QB3 behind veterans Sam Darnold and Nick Mullens. When the team split up for parts of the day, it was Darnold and Mullens rotating with the starters and McCarthy and Jaren Hall working with the young players and backups. McCarthy had plenty of moments in this practice that reminded you just how much learning and growth is ahead of him. There were several reps where you could see him going through his progressions, hesitating a bit, and then scrambling or throwing to his checkdown option. He's clearly still working on getting the rhythm and timing down within Kevin O'Connell's offense. McCarthy also dropped a shotgun snap for a fumble at one point and had a few inaccurate misses.

— Blake Brandel seems to be basically unopposed as the Vikings’ starting left guard. He’s been a backup at various positions throughout his career, but he’s in line to be a starter this year. Phillips said Brandel has “earned this opportunity.”

— Speaking of Tonyan, Phillips had high praise for him on Tuesday. It sounds like he’ll be competing with Johnny Mundt to be the Vikings’ top receiving TE during Hockenson’s injury absence, which is expected to last at least the first 4-6 games of the season.

— Lewis Cine got beaten in coverage a couple times and also dropped an interception off of a deflection. It's very early in this offseason, but the 2022 first-round pick might be at risk of getting cut before his third season.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/vikings-ota-no-2-recap-what-we-saw-jj-mccarthy-sam-darnold-others

6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

https://x.com/TPPSkol/status/1793051611893227787?t=ZjOcQqqsugn05DpjYUA1vQ&s=19

If Lewis Cine is cut, would he go down as our worst first round pick ever? 

We've had our share of bad ones (Troy Williamson, Erasmus James, Christian Ponder, Laquon Treadwell, Mike Hughes etc.) but at least they made a small impact on the team and/or could be traded for future capital.

No. Demetrius Underwood. Full stop. 

• Like 4

so, who HAVE been our worst first round draftees?

1) looks like we agree Underwood was the absolute worst.

2) I'll nominate Troy Williamson for #2. he lost games for us, plain and simple. and it's not like we didn't train him correctly, as he never amounted to anything anywhere else.

3) Erasmus James?

4) Treadwell? Leo Hayden? Mike Hughes?

Sam Darnold gets so much hate because of his time in NY, but he is actually a decent enough QB. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts and wins some games with this offense.  Do you guys think JJ ends up the week 1 starter?

27 minutes ago, adamq said:

Sam Darnold gets so much hate because of his time in NY, but he is actually a decent enough QB. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts and wins some games with this offense.  Do you guys think JJ ends up the week 1 starter?

it's not likely in my opinion. nor is it even necessary. as you say, Darnold is, if nothing else, worth seeing what he has.

• Like 1

Have any of the undrafted free agents stood out? — Dan B.

Cornerback Dwight McGlothern and edge Gabriel Murphy. He’s not an undrafted free agent this year (he was in 2022 with the Atlanta Falcons), but it’s also worth highlighting punter Seth Vernon. The Portland State product put on a wildly impressive display Tuesday.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5515959/2024/05/24/vikings-mailbag-justin-jefferson-extension-jj-mccarthy/?source=emp_shared_article

10 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

https://x.com/TPPSkol/status/1794365240630530523?t=txkyN7nsLB1cDiaLDrhcrg&s=19

I wish these would imbed!

So if the consensus is that Underwood is our biggest bust, Cine will probably be very close. 

I'm hopeful that we can try to trade one of Cine/Booth before it's too late.

I think there’s more hope they can turn it around than we can trade them for value at this point.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

https://x.com/TPPSkol/status/1794342180397474004?t=77moz-LCwksSH8UVAa3LVQ&s=19

I'd love to see Nailor be WR3 and Jackson be the 4th Safety. I don't think Ward is ready yet. 

Nailor is the exact kind of WR that flashes in non-padded practices. Will have to see if he is still flashing closer to the regular season. Powell was more than satisfactory as a #4/3 last year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Duluther said:

Nailor is the exact kind of WR that flashes in non-padded practices. Will have to see if he is still flashing closer to the regular season. Powell was more than satisfactory as a #4/3 last year.

He had a nice game against Green Bay. It would be nice to see what he could really do if he stays on the field.

• VikeManDan changed the title to Mandatory Minicamp (6.4 - 6.6) | OTAs (6.10 - 6.13)