The Top 20 Washington Players Who Will Have the Biggest Impact in 2024

Posted (edited)

I used to post this every year but its just been too depressing the past few years to even attempt. I will note getting to 20 was pretty difficult. IMO the roster has quality depth players but lacks top end talent, so super talented players don't really jump off of the page. In addition, I typically try to avoid including rookies on this list but our current roster status combined with the unusual amount of high selections made that impractical. Also this is a projection of who I think will be the most talented on the field for us in 2024, not looking at future value or anything like that. 

Final note, this is just my opinion and is supposed to be fun and stimulate conversation during a dead news period. So feel free to critique this list all you want. 

#20 - S Jartavius Martin

#19 - DT Jer'Zhan Newton

#18 - TE Ben Sinnott

#17 - HB Brian Robinson

#16 - CB Mike Sainristil 

#15 - DE Clelin Ferrell

#14 - CB Michael Davis

#13 - WR Jahan Dotson

#12 - OLB Jamin Davis

#11 - RG Sam Cosmi

#10 - DE Dorance Armstrong

#9 - HB Austin Ekeler

#8 - P Tress Way

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1

#20 - DT Phidarian Mathis

usa_today_19028444.jpg

LOL. Ya right. 

#20 - S Jartavius Martin

cfc34e2d-b13d-4de4-8813-175e1c5b5e12-AP_ 

This is a projection. I'm hoping the new staff comes in and lets this guy play Safety all through camp and he ends up as our starting FS. The previous staff had a really bad habit of drafting a talented player and then putting them into a really bad position to succeed. He was a projected NFL Safety that could play some nickel CB that they decided to play at nickel CB all of the time. The new regime came in and immediately used a 2nd round pick on a nickel CB so I'm guessing Martin will be moving back to Safety full time. That's a good thing because when he was healthy and playing Safety last year he looked pretty good. 

• Like 3

#19 DL Jer'Zhan Newton

20231104_FB_at_Minnesota_Newton4_PSP_005

How many snaps is he going to get? Will he start? Over Jon Allen or Payne? Probably not. As a DE? Idk. Are we running a 3-4? I don't have the answer to that either. Last year the team gave 30.51% of all defensive snap counts to John Ridgeway, 17.40% to Phidarian Mathis and 9.68% to Abdullah Anderson. That is a lot of defensive snap counts to some pretty mediocre names. If nothing else he should be able to provide upgraded play to those snap counts but I can't seem to get away from the idea that they have a larger role in mind for him in some capacity. 

He had 7.5 and 5.5 sacks the past two seasons in college, and according to PFF he was 9th in the national in pass rush win % for a DT. He was also considered to be a strong run defender and put up 8.5 and 14.0 TFLs the past two years. He was pretty much a consensus first round talent that we took at the top end of the 2nd round. Maybe he's just long term insurance for Jon Allen, but I feel like he's going to make an impact this year. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

#18 TE Ben Sinnott

1802700220.jpg

Chris Cooley thinks Sinnott is the ideal Joe Gibbs H-Back. That is pretty cool praise from a former player. I think Sinnott turned some heads at the combine when he tested better than expected. He's known more as a jack of all trades rather than just an out wide receiving threat which a lot of modern TEs coming out of college are. I've read some people saying he's an excellent blocker and others say his technique needs work, but most seem to agree his blocking is a positive for him which I like as well. I think he will come in and compete with Zach Ertz and possibly take over the starting role by midseason. 

Sinnott had 49 receptions, 676 yards and 6 TDs in 12 games played last year. Kliff Kingsbury in Arizona had TEs produce the following amounts: 2019 - Charles Clay (18 rec, 237 yards), 2020 - Dan Arnold (31 rec, 438 yards), 2021 - Zach Ertz (56 rec, 574 yards), 2022 - Zach Ertz (47 rec, 406 yards). That isn't a ton of production from the TE position, but honestly he didn't have a lot of great options there. Also who remembers Kliff Kingsbury being Arizona's HC for 4 years? I thought it was like 2. It could be easily argued Sinnott will be the most talented TE he has had in an offense in the NFL. 

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I used to post this every year but its just been too depressing the past few years to even attempt. I will note getting to 20 was pretty difficult. IMO the roster has quality depth players but lacks top end talent, so super talented players don't really jump off of the page. In addition, I typically try to avoid including rookies on this list but our current roster status combined with the unusual amount of high selections made that impractical. Also this is a projection of who I think will be the most talented on the field for us in 2024, not looking a future value or anything like that. 

Final note, this is just my opinion and is supposed to be fun and stimulate conversation during a dead news period. So feel free to critique this list all you want. 

#20 - S Jartavius Martin

#19 - DT Jer'Zhan Newton

#18 - TE Ben Sinnott

Well to start off Newton was ranked around 25th by most draft big boards & Sinnott was ranked twice as high so Newton should be higher than Sinnott.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

#20 - DT Phidarian Mathis

usa_today_19028444.jpg

LOL. Ya right. 

#20 - S Jartavius Martin

cfc34e2d-b13d-4de4-8813-175e1c5b5e12-AP_ 

This is a projection. I'm hoping the new staff comes in and lets this guy play Safety all through camp and he ends up as our starting FS. The previous staff had a really bad habit of drafting a talented player and then putting them into a really bad position to succeed. He was a projected NFL Safety that could play some nickel CB that they decided to play at nickel CB all of the time. The new regime came in and immediately used a 2nd round pick on a nickel CB so I'm guessing Martin will be moving back to Safety full time. That's a good thing because when he was healthy and playing Safety last year he looked pretty good. 

The failure of Forbes on the outside forced them to play Martin in the slot where he played better than Forbes did. So, while I entirely agree that I want him all offseason/Mini-camp/OTAS/training camp practice & preseason games at FS developing into a better FS, he was at worst a solid nickel CB for us. I think the 2nd half of last year just showed how talented he is that he could play S & slot CB as a rookie.

I sure hope he locks the FS spot down bc I’d rather see Forrest at SS & Quan at FS than Chinn struggling in coverage at SS & Forrest at FS.

Edited by turtle28

47 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Well to start off Newton was ranked around 25th by most draft big boards & Sinnott was ranked twice as high so Newton should be higher than Sinnott.

This list is for talent on the field for 2024 and I think Sinnott will see the field more than Newton this year 

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

This list is for talent on the field for 2024 and I think Sinnott will see the field more than Newton this year 

Newton will play 40-50% of the defensive snaps as our 3rd DE & will play DE in short-yardage packages.

I think Sinnott plays but he will have a John Bates-type snap count from Bates’s first few years.

36 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Newton will play 40-50% of the defensive snaps as our 3rd DE & will play DE in short-yardage packages.

I think Sinnott plays but he will have a John Bates-type snap count from Bates’s first few years.

Idk bud I don’t think a 2nd rounder was drafted with the idea of not being a key guy in the run and the pass.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

Idk bud I don’t think a 2nd rounder was drafted with the idea of not being a key guy in the run and the pass.

Yeah but when we go to just 1 TE which will be like 60-70% of the game, it's going to be Ertz. When we go 2 TEs it's going to be Sinnott w/ Ertz. Ertz is replacing Thomas & Sinnott is replacing Bates in our rotation this year. As long as Sinnott shows he can be a starter this year, next year he will start IMO.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

Phidarian Mathis says high. 

I get that but I’d like too think this staff and FO has a actual plan and aren’t just taking players with a plan that changes the whole overall direction by the hour

#17 - HB Brian Robinson

brian-robinson-fantasy-projections-2023-

Brian Robinson had a solid second season rushing for 733 yards and 5 TDs, but the real jump in production from him was in the passing game where he contributed 36 receptions for 368 yards after not contributing much there his rookie season. He had to play behind an abysmal offensive line so no one can blame him too much for his lack of rushing production, although his 4.1 ypc was decent considering the circumstances (but was still only 23rd for NFL RBs last season). His size is an asset to the team and I expect him to contribute as part of the RB rotation this year. But ultimately I think he will lose the training camp battle this preseason and won't be our starter this year which is why he isn't higher on the list. 

23 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

#17 - HB Brian Robinson

brian-robinson-fantasy-projections-2023-

Brian Robinson had a solid second season rushing for 733 yards and 5 TDs, but the real jump in production from him was in the passing game where he contributed 36 receptions for 368 yards after not contributing much there his rookie season. He had to play behind an abysmal offensive line so no one can blame him too much for his lack of rushing production, although his 4.1 ypc was decent considering the circumstances (but was still only 23rd for NFL RBs last season). His size is an asset to the team and I expect him to contribute as part of the RB rotation this year. But ultimately I think he will lose the training camp battle this preseason and won't be our starter this year which is why he isn't higher on the list. 

Not the starter ? Then who will be ?

• MKnight82 changed the title to The Top 20 Washington Players Who Will Have the Biggest Impact in 2024