2024 Washington Training Camp Discussion/Videos

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

I don't know if the roster turnover says anything other than Peters wanting to reset this team quickly.  Most of the turnover happened before the front office could even evaluate the players on the field firsthand.  Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of the moves, but I think a lot of what we did was a crapshoot.  1 year deals and a fair amount of midling players.  We had the option to sign premium players at positions of need and chose to pass on them.  I am not reading too much into it.  I think next offseason will tell us more about Peters.  I think if anything, the performance of the players still here, might teach us more about how Rivera failed on the coaching side.

He had 10 draft picks, as well as a huge UDFA class.  Just those 10 draft picks alone are nearly 25% of your active gameday roster.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, offbyone said:

I don't know if the roster turnover says anything other than Peters wanting to reset this team quickly.  Most of the turnover happened before the front office could even evaluate the players on the field firsthand.  Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of the moves, but I think a lot of what we did was a crapshoot.  1 year deals and a fair amount of midling players.  We had the option to sign premium players at positions of need and chose to pass on them.  I am not reading too much into it.  I think next offseason will tell us more about Peters.  I think if anything, the performance of the players still here, might teach us more about how Rivera failed on the coaching side.

And on the drafting side. I've been adamant that not only was he a bad coach in not being able to get much out of his players, but he was a horrible GM and obtained players that (most of them) just aren't that good.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

And on the drafting side. I'm been adamant that not only was he a bad coach in not being able to get much out of his players, but he was a horrible GM and obtained players that (most of them) just aren't that good.

I've always though his success in Carolina was 90% superman at Q B .. I remember the game at home  for us when he threw ( I think ) 5 TD passes .. and ran all over the field.

He was just an awful coach and worse G M and leaned on the fact he took a team to the Super Bowl.  He was bragging about that last week that both he and Quinn took teams to the Super Bowl. So damm delusional . I didn't like the hire at all from the git go but tried to stay positive .. 

Edited by RSkinGM
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

And on the drafting side. I've been adamant that not only was he a bad coach in not being able to get much out of his players, but he was a horrible GM and obtained players that (most of them) just aren't that good.

No doubt.  He certainly stunk it up on the drafting side.  I give him a pass on Young, but he was consistently bad.  His best players came from the regime before.  Funny, I think the hoopla over the Terry Mclaurin signing was bigger than the name change.  I'm all for it, Terry the man, but ironic that it wasn't for a guy he drafted.  I guess, some coaches should focus on coaching.  Rivera wanted to be the man, but he couldn't pull it off.  

I am not criticizing Peters, more so, just saying not sure we can judge him on the free agent part of this offseason and how the Rivera players were discarded.  As @naptownskinsfan points the draft is a bit different.  He had resources and used them.  At the end of this season we can start measuring those results.  I just thought Peters main goal was a big reset and that is reflected with free agency.  He didn't take any high risk moves.  In San Francisco, they made huge moves with premium players, when they had less resources than we have now.  I expect some fence swings like that, I just get the sense they are working up to it.  Next offseason, we are going to learn a lot by who they resign.  

Probably the wrong thread for my perseverating on this.  Nice that the slow part of the off season is almost over.  Preseason games, joint practices, all the stuff of substance is about to begin.  Hard not to get excited about the newness of it all.  All those draft picks are going to be fun to watch week in and week out.  The QB story is center stage, but there are a lot of side stories to follow.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

No doubt.  He certainly stunk it up on the drafting side.  I give him a pass on Young, but he was consistently bad.  His best players came from the regime before.  Funny, I think the hoopla over the Terry Mclaurin signing was bigger than the name change.  I'm all for it, Terry the man, but ironic that it wasn't for a guy he drafted.  I guess, some coaches should focus on coaching.  Rivera wanted to be the man, but he couldn't pull it off.  

I am not criticizing Peters, more so, just saying not sure we can judge him on the free agent part of this offseason and how the Rivera players were discarded.  As @naptownskinsfan points the draft is a bit different.  He had resources and used them.  At the end of this season we can start measuring those results.  I just thought Peters main goal was a big reset and that is reflected with free agency.  He didn't take any high risk moves.  In San Francisco, they made huge moves with premium players, when they had less resources than we have now.  I expect some fence swings like that, I just get the sense they are working up to it.  Next offseason, we are going to learn a lot by who they resign.  

Probably the wrong thread for my perseverating on this.  Nice that the slow part of the off season is almost over.  Preseason games, joint practices, all the stuff of substance is about to begin.  Hard not to get excited about the newness of it all.  All those draft picks are going to be fun to watch week in and week out.  The QB story is center stage, but there are a lot of side stories to follow.  

Don't get me wrong. I am absolutely on record as saying this whole offseason's situation is the PERFECT one to be in to judge a GM by.

We had the #2 pick and a ton of other picks to go with it.

And we had something like $80M in cap space to play with in getting other talent that was available.

In a few years, we'll know if he (Peters) was a good hire or not because he can't have the excuse that we didn't have draft picks or cap space and was put in a bad situation coming in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

WC worked out the following players:

Jack Anderson 

Paxton Brooks 

Bobby Evans

Patrick Luby 

Isaiah Prince

Guard, kicker, tackle, kicker, tackle if anyone is interested. 

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Garrett Wilson feasting on our corners . Scored several long TDs already in practice. Forbes and St Juste beaten .

Apparently he has been destroying Forbes. This was such a bad pick lol. For the love of god find someone willing to trade anything for him and move him now. 

3 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Garrett Wilson feasting on our corners . Scored several long TDs already in practice. Forbes and St Juste beaten .

Hmmm.  We all knew corner was a big problem going into the offseason.  They chose not to really improve the outside guys for now.  The problem last year with Forbes wasn't just his size, it was that he was getting straight up beat.  

The other position we all knew was a problem and didn't get significantly improved was oline, at least tackle, although we improved the inside.

Then there is WR.  Does this say something about our WR corps that our corners have been practicing against?

Can't fix everything all at once.  Of course we left a lot of cap space on the table and I think we are also going to be wondering if Newton or the trade down after was worth missing out on McKinstry and Dejean.  

Joint practices sound super valuable.  Rather see this now and adjust than wait to regular season.

4 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Not saying Forbes is a good CB, he definitely needs work which might help him or not but G. Wilson is a top 10 receiver. He’s going to toast most CB’s. 

On 8/7/2024 at 8:45 AM, RSkinGM said:

I've always though his success in Carolina was 90% superman at Q B .. I remember the game at home  for us when he threw ( I think ) 5 TD passes .. and ran all over the field.

He was just an awful coach and worse G M and leaned on the fact he took a team to the Super Bowl.  He was bragging about that last week that both he and Quinn took teams to the Super Bowl. So damm delusional . I didn't like the hire at all from the git go but tried to stay positive .. 

yep & he lucked into Cam Newton being drafted there.

3 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Not saying Forbes is a good CB, he definitely needs work which might help him or not but G. Wilson is a top 10 receiver. He’s going to toast most CB’s. 

Also no one on twitter or even the hosts on the radio are mentioning that they were practicing in a down pour & how hard that is for a CB to stay with any WR 1 on 1. I’m not much of a believer  in Forbes either but he’s become the new Jamin Davis for radio hosts, beat reporters, social media and fans. People just can’t wait to pounce on him whenever something goes wrong.