Detroit signs Jared Goff to 4 year extension worth $212 million/$170 M guaranteed

NVRamsFan

5 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Not interested in getting into a big discussion about it and will gladly admit if I'm wrong - I didn't really want the Rams to pay Goff and that ended up being a mistake, and I think the Lions just made their Super Bowl window down to just this season, and I'm pretty confident they won't win one with him

This may be true, but the Lions have literally never even had a Super Bowl window before. There was basically no chance they were letting Goff walk. He helped create the window that they are now in. 

• Like 2

Just now, LeotheLion said:

This may be true, but the Lions have literally never even had a Super Bowl window before. There was basically no chance they were letting Goff walk. He helped create the window that they are now in. 

It can’t be said that this shortens their SB window. If Goff were to have left after ‘25, then they’d have to wait to hit their next QB crescent; such would almost certainly not align with the current roster momentum, and it’d have been all for not. This signing is what extends the window.

• Like 3

Jared Goff

Career stats
Year
Year
Team
Team
CMP%
Completions percentage
YDS
Passing yards
TD
Passing touchdowns
INT
Interceptions thrown
Rating
Passer rating

Patrick Mahomes 

Career stats
Year
Year
Team
Team
CMP%
Completions percentage
YDS
Passing yards
TD
Passing touchdowns
INT
Interceptions thrown
Rating
Passer rating

Lamar Jackson

Career stats
Year
Year
Team
Team
CMP%
Completions percentage
YDS
Passing yards
TD
Passing touchdowns
INT
Interceptions thrown
Rating
Passer rating

Goff isn't even a top 12 QB... That broccoli some of you are smoking must be Fire!

• Like 2

I'm curious from both people who like this and people who hate this - 

What would make you consider this a "good" extension?

Like, certainly if he plays well and wins a SB we would all say it was a great extension, but that seems like unrealistic expectations.

So I guess I'm asking - do we expect a SB appearance @ 50m/yr? NFFCG?

What's the expectation for the next 4 years?

15 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

We felt similarly given how bad we had been and I don't disagree with you. But there was already a Lions fan talking Super Bowl in this very thread.

16 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Are you giving Purdy $50 mil per year if it was up to you?

Nasty reality of the league. I hate the middle tier QB contract, but people are going to pay it until someone sacks up and just decides to cycle through rookie QBs (which, lets be honest, is a little more daunting of a prospect after seeing 2021 and 2022 classes just completely crater)

There's a part of me, like others, who will carry an inherent bias against Purdy for a long time based on the fact that he has like 0 physical talent and was the last pick in the draft. I'll need to see players cycle through and whatnot to know how much of it is actually him. I know that he can operate in rhythm and timing and that's a pretty big deal for at least being a serviceable qb in the league.  But I also think people just take for granted that anyone can step in and put up the numbers that Purdy does even on that team. Those efficiency numbers are bonkers. I said it just a few posts ago that I think it's pretty likely that he and Goff are pretty comparable players when all is said and done. Slightly different in how they get there, but I think by the end they'll probably be in that same range as one another. Really good when things are right, maybe average to below average when they aren't. I could be wrong and Purdy could just be awesome too. or he could suck. He just doesn't have the situational variance. 

In this case for the niners, I think you have because you probably have enough talent outside of Brock to remain competitive for 3 years and most of those contracts are ostensibly going to be 3 years locked in. As those guys ultimately fade out one at a time, by the end of that third year of the extension, that entire team except for a couple of guys has likely turned over and you have a really good idea of what you are. If you're bad, you reset it at that point anyway. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Good to see the North has a new Kirk Cousins locked in for awhile.

I mean, Goff has won a lot more than Kirk by a lot. Hasn’t gotten over the hump but to compare the two is disingenuous at best.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Soggust said:

Like, certainly if he plays well and wins a SB we would all say it was a great extension, but that seems like unrealistic expectations.

It would have been a good contract had they waited to sign it next year after franchise tagging him and letting Brock Purdy sign. 

It's a bad contract because they didn't do that. 

• Like 1

Goff is a rock solid quarterback. Probably a slight overpay but it’s not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. Watson isn’t even Top 5 in money and since the Browns have no outs it’s a bad contract.

Right now, Goff is much more accomplished than Allen and Herbert and he’s a lot better and more reliable than Tua, and doesn’t have the pucker factor of Dak.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nasty reality of the league. I hate the middle tier QB contract, but people are going to pay it until someone sacks up and just decides to cycle through rookie QBs (which, lets be honest, is a little more daunting of a prospect after seeing 2021 and 2022 classes just completely crater)

There's a part of me, like others, who will carry an inherent bias against Purdy for a long time based on the fact that he has like 0 physical talent and was the last pick in the draft. I'll need to see players cycle through and whatnot to know how much of it is actually him. I know that he can operate in rhythm and timing and that's a pretty big deal for at least being a serviceable qb in the league.  But I also think people just take for granted that anyone can step in and put up the numbers that Purdy does even on that team. Those efficiency numbers are bonkers. I said it just a few posts ago that I think it's pretty likely that he and Goff are pretty comparable players when all is said and done. Slightly different in how they get there, but I think by the end they'll probably be in that same range as one another. Really good when things are right, maybe average to below average when they aren't. I could be wrong and Purdy could just be awesome too. or he could suck. He just doesn't have the situational variance. 

In this case for the niners, I think you have because you probably have enough talent outside of Brock to remain competitive for 3 years and most of those contracts are ostensibly going to be 3 years locked in. As those guys ultimately fade out one at a time, by the end of that third year of the extension, that entire team except for a couple of guys has likely turned over and you have a really good idea of what you are. If you're bad, you reset it at that point anyway. 

How I see it as well, but I wanted McVay to be the proof of concept for it by letting Goff go, I would like Shanahan to do it and let Purdy go

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

We felt similarly given how bad we had been and I don't disagree with you. But there was already a Lions fan talking Super Bowl in this very thread.

Yeah, I remember and I was a fan of the Goff extension with the Rams for the very reason. 

26 minutes ago, Duluther said:

It can’t be said that this shortens their SB window. If Goff were to have left after ‘25, then they’d have to wait to hit their next QB crescent; such would almost certainly not align with the current roster momentum, and it’d have been all for not. This signing is what extends the window.

I guess it depends how you look at it but this makes sense

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I mean, Goff has won a lot more than Kirk by a lot. Hasn’t gotten over the hump but to compare the two is disingenuous at best.

Ive seen both plenty, there isn't much difference to how they play. 

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Goff is a rock solid quarterback. Probably a slight overpay but it’s not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. Watson isn’t even Top 5 in money and since the Browns have no outs it’s a bad contract.

Right now, Goff is much more accomplished than Allen and Herbert and he’s a lot better and more reliable than Tua, and doesn’t have the pucker factor of Dak.

What exactly has Goff accomplished besides holding McVay back from winning a SB in 2018? He played well and won two home playoff games as the higher seed this year. 

Remember one of the best offensive minds in the game right now paid a 1st round pick to get this guy off his roster. Now he's playing much better under Johnson, but he's entirely a system QB without the raw talent to ever put him in the elite tier. 

He's better than Jimmy G or his LAR self, but Shanny and McVay realized you need a higher tier of QB to win it all and went for it with Stafford and Lance. I just don't think Goff is taking anyone to the peak.

7 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I think context matters a lot and because it's the Lions, it's a good deal if they have a winning record every year.

But reality changes FAST, and if they are into the divisional round the next two years it'll be interesting to see what constitutes success and failure for Lions fans

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Forge said:

They did, but @MacReadydoes not accept this or the mahomes wins. 

He will not give up the fight!

Stafford doesn’t count. It was dead money. Mahomes is the only exception. Goff is no Mahomes.

• Like 1