Dolphins extend WR Jaylen Waddle (3 years, $84.75M, $76M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

So this deal kicks in for 2026-2028, and Tyreek has a $56MM cap hit/$11MM guaranteed in 2026 they'll be able to use to fit it in. Hill either ages well enough that they give him a high incentive prove it deal to make another run at a ring, or they've got his replacement locked down a few years in advance.

Plan makes sense. Expensive, but everything worth buying these days is.

• Like 1

Of the big WR extensions given out this offseason, this one I don’t love. Obviously you have to take into account Miami’s bad cap situation, and the fact that they’ve already got money tied up into Hill. I also view Waddle as an elite WR2 more than an elite WR1. 

Don’t love it. If I’m Cincy, I look to trade Higgins after this.

• Like 1

I like it, more so if they could have tacked on another year. 

Keep your identity: keep your speed. With an aging Hill and Mostert, and also some good but ~unproven speedsters, Waddle is the one player to which I'd be confident giving an extension. 

• Like 1

This just feels like a luxury signing for a team that has no money. They're going to have to do some gross stuff with the cap next year, and that's if they don't keep Tua. God forbid if they do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soko said:

Of the big WR extensions given out this offseason, this one I don’t love. Obviously you have to take into account Miami’s bad cap situation, and the fact that they’ve already got money tied up into Hill. I also view Waddle as an elite WR2 more than an elite WR1. 

There has been a clearer indication that it is smart for teams to try to get deals done early than the WR market this offseason. Michael Pittman signed his deal a month and a half ago and he's already been kicked out of the top 10 for WR AAV. Ridley will probably fall to 15th by the time the season starts. Every new contract just makes this feel worse and worse for the teams who have been dragging their feet, particularly Dallas, San Fran, and Cincy. Not sure it really matters as much for the Vikings, because Jefferson is going to top it all regardless. But fair value for the other guys has probably gone up a good $5M or so since the start of the offseason. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I understand Jerry/Stephen are idiots but why are the Vikings and Bengals allowing contracts like AJ, like Smitty, like Amon,  like Waddle all get done before extending players you know are going nowhere like JJ, Chase, Lamb?

Every single one of these contracts just bumped up the guarantee portion/cost those organizations millions more APY.

All three will now be $33-$36M APY. GL 🍺 

Edited by Nabbs4u

2 hours ago, Soko said:

Bengals certainly won't trade Higgins before the 2024 season. They aren't going to give him an extension, they are going to pay the tag amount of 21.8 mil then see where things stand after the season. If he plays well, they'll tag him again for 26 mil and probably be willing to trade him if Burton or Iosivas looks ready to replace him. If he plays poorly, they'll not tag him and most likely let him walk.

47 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I understand Jerry/Stephen are idiots but why are the Vikings and Bengals allowing contracts like AJ, like Smitty, like Amon,  like Waddle all get done before extending players you know are going nowhere like JJ, Chase, Lamb?

Every single one of these contracts just bumped up the guarantee portion/cost those organizations millions more APY.

All three will now be $33-$36M APY. GL 🍺 

Chase is under contract for 2 more years. Then could be tagged twice. So he's 4 years away from freedom. He's not even asking for a new contract this year, he and the team will negotiate next offseason before the final year of his rookie deal. 

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Chase is under contract for 2 more years. Then could be tagged twice. So he's 4 years away from freedom. He's not even asking for a new contract this year, he and the team will negotiate next offseason before the final year of his rookie deal. 

So you believe it's better to sign a player 2 yrs late, then 2 years early? Better to wait and see, let the market fail where it may? Rather then being proactive and get that same player extended earlier, saving potentially 10's of Millions in the end?

The Eagles were wrong to extended Smitty from the same 2021 draft class as Chase? The Dolphins with Waddle?

God help you if the Bengals take that approach with the best player on that team.

Hell maybe in 2027 you guys can get Ja'marr at a "team friendly" $40M APY contract? 👌

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals certainly won't trade Higgins before the 2024 season. They aren't going to give him an extension, they are going to pay the tag amount of 21.8 mil then see where things stand after the season. If he plays well, they'll tag him again for 26 mil and probably be willing to trade him if Burton or Iosivas looks ready to replace him. If he plays poorly, they'll not tag him and most likely let him walk.

Cool, I’d still look to trade him, assuming he wants to be in this ballpark. Assuming Tee shows up to camp both seasons (no shot he wouldn’t hold out if he got tagged again), creates zero problems, still comes in relatively healthy, and produces at his usual rate - I don’t want a WR2 taking up $26M+ in cap space. It’s not AAV, it’s a one year hit. These other deals have flexibility, their cap hits aren’t that big yet. Not having all that drama with Higgins with a cap hit around 10% of the cap, pass.

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

This never happens. Kirk is probably the only example, and Washington F’d themselves in doing so.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

This just feels like a luxury signing for a team that has no money. They're going to have to do some gross stuff with the cap next year, and that's if they don't keep Tua. God forbid if they do.

?

I don't think it impacts our 2024 or 2025 cap much, and there's no cause for concern for 2026 and beyond (when this contract will have its big cap hits).

With Tyreek saying on record he'll probably retire following his current contract (plus the inevitable regression he'll likely experience at some point in the next few years anyway), this is about securing a great WR for the future more than it is a luxury, imo.