Bears are officially on Hard Knocks

On 5/31/2024 at 7:50 AM, dll2000 said:

If I was an UDFA I would be pissed.  I dont have time to work on this nonsense I am trying to make the team! 

I’d probably be the other way actually. If I don’t make the Bears (and I don’t see many if any UDFAs making our squad this season) I’d want as much out there as possible showing why another team should take a chance on me. 

39 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’d probably be the other way actually. If I don’t make the Bears (and I don’t see many if any UDFAs making our squad this season) I’d want as much out there as possible showing why another team should take a chance on me. 

I mean the hazing and comedy shows or skits they sometimes make them do.  

• 2 months later...

Any predictions for the first episode?

Mine:

-Draft/FA review 

-Flus’ style makeover 

-90 seconds on Virginia 

-Kevin Warren profile

-Bill Murray/Chicago reference

-Kiran Amegadjie local kid story

-Intro to Keith Randolph as a UDFA roster hopeful

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Mine:

-Draft/FA review 

-Flus’ style makeover 

-90 seconds on Virginia 

-Kevin Warren profile

For me:

I have zero interest in anything about Virginia, George or Warren personally.  Or how awesome and wonderful they are.  Maybe they are, that's great.  I don't need to see it in a reality show.  

I have near zero interest in getting to know player's or coach's wife's or their young children or seeing their home life.  Only exception is if they are a crazy character like Bagent's dad or Amon St. Brown's dad.   And even then I would keep it very short.  

HBO and other NFL reality shows must have some data that says different, because we always get a lot of that. 

What I want to see is practice planning, game planning, frank discussions on hard decisions and fine coaching points on drills.   I know cutting a guy sucks and getting cut sucks.  I don't need to see emotions of that on tape.   I know they suck and it hurts.   But I would be very interested in the arguments of keeping guy A over guy B, with practice footage cut in to make the case each guy is making.  

I guess I am not a typical viewer, because we always get little of that.  But I think there are more guys like me than they think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Sounds like we might be getting even more Coaches/Front Office than ever before. 

Is that more about them? or more of them talking about the players? Not sure, just heard they have been taping a whole lot more with those guys than the players

They just had Family night, so my guess is youll see mostly a HOF Game recap (but mostly about the HOFers) and then Family day, going into a speech about "now the real work begins"

I bet we meet a couple of characters in these episodes that are tangentially connected to the team that you all will be annoyed take up screen time; Flus' (and alot of the teams) new Barber, someone's semi famous brother, etc...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I guess I am not a typical viewer, because we always get little of that.  But I think there are more guys like me than they think.

Sorry to break it to you, but youre the lowest rank of viewer to them. You're going to watch anyway, they dont need to hook you

Its a television program, its not actually an in depth look at the team, its just pitched that way. Because no longer do the players want to be that vulnerable, especially when they dont really have final cut of what they put out (i.e. Jared Goff) and if guys want to do that, its easier than ever for them to make that connection with fans. And they can cut out the middle man (HBO) to do that.

Hard Knocks hasnt actually been a good show in nearly a decade, to expect it to be one this year, is just setting yourself up for disappointment

3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Sorry to break it to you, but youre the lowest rank of viewer to them. You're going to watch anyway, they dont need to hook you

Its a television program, its not actually an in depth look at the team, its just pitched that way. Because no longer do the players want to be that vulnerable, especially when they dont really have final cut of what they put out (i.e. Jared Goff) and if guys want to do that, its easier than ever for them to make that connection with fans. And they can cut out the middle man (HBO) to do that.

Hard Knocks hasnt actually been a good show in nearly a decade, to expect it to be one this year, is just setting yourself up for disappointment

Maybe that is indeed the thinking.  I don't agree with it.

Here is an example of not pandering to your existing main audience.  

When Disney took over Star Wars and later in Marvel their executives argued (this has been reported 'the force is female') these are primarily boy/men brands.  Disney knew this.  The thinking was if we make it more appealing to women we will gain a much larger audience.  It makes sense on paper. Not a terrible idea.  

But the assumption with that is that you will keep the boys and men and simply gain the women who weren't fans before.  All more profit.   It didn't work out that way. 

You see a lot girls like 'boy stuff' and a lot of boys like 'girl stuff.'  Star Wars already had a lot of girl and women fans.   But generally speaking there are tendencies between genders.  A lot of men still went to see Barbie, but their box office was driven by women.   I like romantic comedies a lot more than my wife does.  But when you change core things people like about a product to appeal to a new demographic the original fans will eventually stop using it.   Same with Marvel.  Millions of girls didn't grow up reading Marvel comics in near the same numbers as boys did.  A lot of girls did, but the ratios are way different.  If you try to make Marvel movies to appeal only to girls/women you will lose a lot of boys/men. 

Hard Knocks did have me and they lost me.  I haven't watched Hard Knocks since about 3rd season of it years ago.   Because it became repetitive lame puff pieces and the emotions of being cut and not football. 

I am going to order it now, but only because it is the Bears.

If they do a great job I may keep it.  If is same old same old, I will cancel as soon as Hard Knocks is done. 

14 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Mine:

-Draft/FA review 

-Flus’ style makeover 

-90 seconds on Virginia 

-Kevin Warren profile

Idk if it’ll be episode 1, but there will definitely be a profile on Warren.  I can already see it:  the camera will show an alarm clock on his night stand with his notebook next to it.  The clock will read something like 04:29, it’ll click to 04:30, alarm goes off.  Then we get a little montage in him in the gym, eating a small healthy breakfast, reading the Bible, then straightening up his tie and walking into Halas hall.  

I bet we get a run down of all the failed QBs leading up to CW.  Definitely some 1985 reference.  I haven’t watched hard knocks basically ever, except for when it first came out with the Chiefs many years ago, so i really don’t have expectations.

• Like 1

Episode 1 almost all Eberflus and offense.  Outside of a small talk with Jaylon there was basically no defense.  Minimal Warren and no McCaskeys.  DJ Moore seems like such a genuine, low key, nice dude.  Big fan.  

My favorite cliche line from this episode:  Most chicagoans take the L, but what they really want are.

I love getting to know the team beyond just stat lines. And this really is a great year for the Bears to be on HK.  I’ve been so apathetic towards the team the past few years, but i feel that passion coming back.  It’s no longer about getting the best draft pick (minus Carolina’s pick, F ‘em).  

Oh, and the Bears have an in-house barber?!?  wtf?  I’m going to have a talk with my boss tomorrow.