Offseason Thread: DeRozan to the Kings!

11sanchez11

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Or the more logical part was that the Kings needed to send out matching salary to meet DeRozan's contract demands and Chicago wasn't interested in taking back more than Duarte's salary?  Hence the need for San Antonio's inclusion in this deal.

Yes… because Barnes isn’t a good asset with his big deal for an okay role player. See my first point. 

2 minutes ago, Kingram said:

Yes… because Barnes isn’t a good asset with his big deal for an okay role player. See my first point. 

Or because the Bulls are a poorly managed franchise.  This is the same team who was reportedly willing to attach a FRP to LaVine to get off his contract.   A team that is rebuilding shouldn't be adding picks to get rid of contracts.  They should be eating bad contracts.  Answer this, why didn't Chicago keep Harrison Barnes AND the pick swap for themselves?

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Or because the Bulls are a poorly managed franchise.  This is the same team who was reportedly willing to attach a FRP to LaVine to get off his contract.   A team that is rebuilding shouldn't be adding picks to get rid of contracts.  They should be eating bad contracts.  Answer this, why didn't Chicago keep Harrison Barnes AND the pick swap for themselves?

You would have to attach a pick to get rid of LaVine and that contract. It’s atrocious. I’m not sure your point there. If Barnes was a positive asset they could’ve found a team to take on his deal. 

Just now, Kingram said:

You would have to attach a pick to get rid of LaVine and that contract. It’s atrocious. I’m not sure your point there. If Barnes was a positive asset they could’ve found a team to take on his deal. 

My point being is a team that is CLEARLY in a rebuilding phase shouldn't be looking to dump picks.  If the Bulls are finally going through the rebuild they need, they should let LaVine prove he's healthy (and productive) and then trade him without  having to attach a pick to him to move him.  I'm not saying Barnes is a positive asset.  I'd say he's neutral to slightly-negative.  LIS, I'd be interested in him if I were the Lakers.  I wouldn't give up a FRP for him by any means, but he fits a role and has some value to the right team.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 7:00 AM, Texansfan713 said:

Kerr handled him and Kuminga wrong.  He honestly need a change of scenery.  He is still 22. 

how did Kerr handle Kuminga wrong? lol.  Because Kuminga cried to the media after one game? Before that game (vs the Nuggets) he was routinely getting a ton of run...he didn't close that one game and he went crying to the media. Kuminga has been hyped up by the fanbase but he's shown that he can't shoot and he can't play the 3 yet.  He can't really dribble or pass either, so they've been forced to play him at the 4, where he gets outrebounded, overpowered, and outhustled.  He took a big step back defensively last year too...routinely getting lost on defense and his POA took a huge step back.  He was really only good vs larger wings last year.  

Kuminga is a good slasher/scorer but he still has a long long ways to go.  He literally played 26 mpg last year yet people are still whining about this playing time.  His efficiency actually got WORSE last year, and it wasn't high to begin with (32% from 3s that are mostly wide open is ugly).  The way Kuminga and his camp leak and cry to the media when he's been so mediocre is some of the most annoying stuff.  

Edited by WhyAmIHere

On 7/5/2024 at 7:30 AM, seminoles1 said:

I mean, that's not really true about the shooting. He was at 35% through the All-Star break. He's a streaky shooter, and it's hard to get a rhythm when you're in and out of the lineup. His month by month 3P% was:

October: 41%

November: 36%

December: 25%

January: 53% (only 3 games though)

February: 29%

March: 36%

April: 46%

In all 3 seasons, he's shot 36%. I don't think he'll ever be an elite shooter, but he's got the ability to be an above-average 3P shooter and has shown it in spurts. He needs consistency, and the Warriors won't give it to him. He got at least 20 minutes in 25 games last season, and shot 42% from 3 in those games.

like I said, he caught fire in the end, in April, and that boosted his 3 pt percentage.  Before that he was given plenty of opportunities and just was not productive.  He has major holes in his game too - he has no left hand, no athleticism, slow feet.  His 3 pt % is even worse when you consider almost all of his 3s are spot up 3s or open corner threes.  He's been a huge disappointment.  Another guy that Warriors fans like to hype up which hides that fact that he was a terrible pick. 

1 hour ago, Kingram said:

Kuminga is super mid right now but he does have upside. Warriors fans definitely way too high on him though. I’d move him in a Lauri deal in .001 seconds. 

They think he's the next Kawhi.  Here's the thing: if he gets anywhere near Kawhi it will be in 4-5 years.  By then Steph will be long gone and the team will suck again.  Steph probably has 1-2 years left at a high level, he's already having trouble getting separation and his burst is gone...he's awful defensively (contrary to pop belief Steph was really good defensively from 18-22).  

8 hours ago, WhyAmIHere said:

how did Kerr handle Kuminga wrong? lol.  Because Kuminga cried to the media after one game? Before that game (vs the Nuggets) he was routinely getting a ton of run...he didn't close that one game and he went crying to the media. Kuminga has been hyped up by the fanbase but he's shown that he can't shoot and he can't play the 3 yet.  He can't really dribble or pass either, so they've been forced to play him at the 4, where he gets outrebounded, overpowered, and outhustled.  He took a big step back defensively last year too...routinely getting lost on defense and his POA took a huge step back.  He was really only good vs larger wings last year.  

Kuminga is a good slasher/scorer but he still has a long long ways to go.  He literally played 26 mpg last year yet people are still whining about this playing time.  His efficiency actually got WORSE last year, and it wasn't high to begin with (32% from 3s that are mostly wide open is ugly).  The way Kuminga and his camp leak and cry to the media when he's been so mediocre is some of the most annoying stuff.  

Dude I remember when TLBBF said Pop had to go because Wemby was only averaging 29 minutes per game lol

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Totty said:

I see a lot of Magic hype fit the future... 

KCP is a little underwhelming.  Oh.  And Goga or whatever.  

They (theoretically) have the juice to be a 50 win team without gutting their depth for another star. Franz, Suggs, and Paolo are unproven enough that they can go sideways, so keep your picks and Anthony Black until you're sure last year wasn't a fluke or a false start.

One thing they absolutely needed regardless was jump shooting and vets, and KCP is a better version of what people want Gary Harris to be.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

7 hours ago, Totty said:

I see a lot of Magic hype fit the future... 

KCP is a little underwhelming.  Oh.  And Goga or whatever.  

it's a meh offseason, but I can't be mad about anything. they tried for PG13. they were in the mix for hartenstein, okc threw a bag, I'm fine with passing there. to me the best piece to acquire after PG went off the board for Orlando was KCP. 

really wasn't a lot of other ways to improve this roster with the options available in FA. so keep the continuity and then every deal they gave to the role players they got back are pretty movable. 

so to me they brought in a piece to get a little better in KCP. didn't lose anyone that wasn't a net negative on the court. didn't give out any bad contracts (you can argue the Franz deal if you want, I see a lotta twitter peeps hopping on that one, I'm cool with that deal, even though I was hoping he'd sneak under the max, after scottie got his deal I was pretty sure Franz was gonna get it too) and maintained roster flexibility.

I think Orlando is just waiting for someone to ask out. Whether it be Fox or Booker or whoever tf it ends up being. They got pieces to dump and have tons of depth to where a big deal wouldn't kill the roster 

7 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

One thing they absolutely needed regardless was jump shooting and vets, and KCP is a better version of what people want Gary Harris to be.

I don't have his splits, but I imagine there's a huge disparity when it comes to KCP's jump shooting based on location. He's excellent and catch and shoot 3's from the corner (gut feel would say the right corner is better than left). I just don't know if it was necessary for them to get another Defensive Guard that can't create his own shot. Should be fun to watch him and Suggs defensively, though.

If nothing else, I am really interested to see the Nuggets bench this year. Assuming Westbrook makes his way to Denver, it would be Westbrook, Strawther, Watson, Holmes/Nnaji, Saric. Honestly, I actually quite like it.

Huge 'if' with that will be the development of Strawther. We are in dire need of some fire from beyond the arc in that lineup, and he's the only one that has a change of being it.

That said, I'd expect to see a Murray stagger with the bench, given that Westbrook is a great fit with Jokic because of his cutting ability.

On 7/6/2024 at 11:13 PM, CWood21 said:

Because their owner wants to duck the luxury tax.