Jacksonville City council approves new Jaguars Stadium

LinderFournette

5 hours ago, sparkyjoe1 said:

One way to look at it is, would you rather have your tax dollars be spent (or wasted) on your favorite team or would you rather have them spent (or wasted) on something else? I'd rather have my tax dollars go to a football stadium than a lot of the other things that use my tax dollars.

I mean, I get it.  I love living in a city with a pro sports team (Charlotte).  I wouldn't want to lose them.  But there are definitely things far more important than a football stadium that our money should probably be going to.  Education, the environment, infrastructure, etc.  

Edited by iknowcool

48 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

if the Ravens moved from Baltimore I'd still support them.

That’s the crux of my question. So you’d still be a fan if the team became a new franchise altogether with a new mascot and city.

I wouldn’t/was not and would wager most are. You’re entitled to that and it’s not wrong, it’s just an outlier.

On 6/28/2024 at 10:29 AM, FrantikRam said:

Go look at the number of places that have closed because of minimum wage going up. That's a thing, and not because they're saying they can't. Plenty have actually had to shut down.

Probably splitting hairs, but I'll give you the renovation aspect being a debate. Building the stadium....the Home Depots of the world get plenty of tax breaks to come to your area, and an NFL team is a lot more rare than a Home Depot. Part of an NFL team even choosing a place to begin with, my first prerequisite would be covering the cost of the stadium if I was an owner. Supply and demand.

I still think the NFL is unique enough where even the renovation makes sense to be covered - the nicer a stadium is, the more likely people are to go. The more people, the better for businesses in and around the stadium and sponsors.

The city can also benefit from concerts, the Super Bowl, etc.

I bet you also believe that trickle down economics works, and isn't the rich pissing down on you.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 11:42 AM, incognito_man said:

Yes. 

I literally quoted you earlier, provided the link AND the germane summary.

I did absolutely everything for you.

But a quick google search leading you to some facebook posts where people said it boosts the local economy isn't a strong enough counterpoint to you?!?

• Like 2

On 6/29/2024 at 6:51 PM, MWil23 said:

That’s the crux of my question. So you’d still be a fan if the team became a new franchise altogether with a new mascot and city.

I wouldn’t/was not and would wager most are. You’re entitled to that and it’s not wrong, it’s just an outlier.

Yeah I think I would, honestly. If the Ravens became a new team I would probably still be a fan of them. Who knows, though. I'd venture to say many STL Rams fans didn't follow the team to LA, but most Rams fans on here did, but maybe that's not a good comparison because they didn't become a new franchise.

I guess the better one would be how many Montreal Expos fans became Washington Nationals fans?

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah I think I would, honestly. If the Ravens became a new team I would probably still be a fan of them. Who knows, though. I'd venture to say many STL Rams fans didn't follow the team to LA, but most Rams fans on here did, but maybe that's not a good comparison because they didn't become a new franchise.

I guess the better one would be how many Montreal Expos fans became Washington Nationals fans?

I’d say the Browns, Oilers, and Colts fans can also weigh in. 

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I could be wrong but I believe most fans on here were fans BEFORE the Rams moved to STL in the first place or became fans while living in neither LA nor STL. I was younger when that happened, but my dad has been a lifelong Rams fan and never wanted them in STL.

I would cease being a fan if they became a new franchise though

On 6/29/2024 at 2:42 PM, incognito_man said:

Yes. 

I literally quoted you earlier, provided the link AND the germane summary.

I did absolutely everything for you.

I guess every city in the country is stupid for clamoring for a professional sports team then

2 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

But a quick google search leading you to some facebook posts where people said it boosts the local economy isn't a strong enough counterpoint to you?!?

Well to be fair, there are also some smart people saying that, which is backed by the fact that cities desire these professional teams to begin with

2 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

I bet you also believe that trickle down economics works, and isn't the rich pissing down on you.

Well, I work for a company that's transparent and a CEO that attempts to share every cent of profit so...

1 minute ago, FrantikRam said:

Well, I work for a company that's transparent and a CEO that attempts to share every cent of profit so...

Well golly gee, that must mean all CEOs act in the same exact fashion. At any rate, you've posted enough for me to understand this isn't a debate anyone can win with you.

14 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I guess every city in the country is stupid for clamoring for a professional sports team then

There is no doubt certain individuals who would profit greatly themselves if a professional sports team moved to their city. That does not mean the majority of taxpayers would benefit. 

17 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Every city isn't.

But yes, the elected officials and business leaders who push for (and eventually win) public-financed stadiums do so to enrich themselves (politically, monetarily) at the expense of the tax-payers.

unless you're a politician campaigning on the issue, a businessperson enriching yourself or not abreast of the reality of the situation - you'd not support it either.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Provide evidence that cities are clamoring for them. 

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

But yes, the elected officials and business leaders who push for (and eventually win) public-financed stadiums do so to enrich themselves (politically, monetarily) at the expense of the tax-payers.

In the case of Las Vegas, Nevada is pulling all the money from education budgets so that billionaires can have a new toy. It's so stupid.