"ESPN ranks all 32 NFL Rosters"

Ozzy

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/lists/espn-ranks-all-32-nfl-rosters-saints-2024-season-depth-chart/

#1 49ers
#32 NY Giants

I would say the Carolina Panthers have the worst roster in the NFL.  Might not be the case but we will see, their DL depth is really bad as is there secondary depth, and who knows if Clowney is like he was on Baltimore or not, my guess is not because the talent and support is not around him.  Hard to have the Giants as this awful team with Lawrence, Burns and Thibodeaux all on the roster defensively.  But like usual it all comes down to who can stay healthy and be a complete unit.  

It is nuts having the Eagles #10, with adding Barkley, Devin White, Gardner-Johnson, drafting Mitchell and DeJean bringing in Oren Burks and Baun, switching basically Reddick for Huff a younger player.  Yes they lost a HOF center but they return a ton of what they already have, and improved that suspect LB and DB core greatly.  

These teams all contenders for the worst roster potentially.  However Gonzalez and Judon stay healthy the Patriots look totally different but that offensive group is not very dangerous at all in terms of weapons as of yet.  Titans could be much improved but all depends on Levis of course and how that OL comes together and if they can get consistent pressure from their edge rushers.  Broncos who knows especially at QB and if that OL can stay together.  Commanders who knows with how Daniels plays but they added some decent pieces with a solid center, added edge players in the Quinn system as well but do they have the DBs to hold up.

Panthers
Titans
Broncos
Patriots
Commanders

There is a ton of parity, even the worst teams, any could be a surprise and be .500 or above come the end of the season.  Every team has talent and every team has a shot to improve, but again just depends on who stays healthy.

5 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I know I'm an Eagles die hard and a Cowboys despiser, but to have the Cowboys not only higher, but 4 spots higher than the Eagles is comical.

I care neutrally for both teams and I agree, Eagles should be higher. QB is a push (maybe edge towards Cowboys based on last season but they’re two similarly tiered players), Eagles win RB in a landslide, Eagles win WR, Eagles win TE, Eagles win OL, Eagles edge in DL, push LBers(?), and Cowboys edge out in secondary. I guess maybe the DL can be  a push/edge to Cowboys if you’re not into Sweat/Huff. That still should be advantage Philly.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Soko said:

I care neutrally for both teams and I agree, Eagles should be higher. QB is a push (maybe edge towards Cowboys based on last season but they’re two similarly tiered players), Eagles win RB in a landslide, Eagles win WR, Eagles win TE, Eagles win OL, Eagles edge in DL, push LBers(?), and Cowboys edge out in secondary. I guess maybe the DL can be  a push/edge to Cowboys if you’re not into Sweat/Huff. That still should be advantage Philly.

I'd give Dak an edge yeah. Eagles edge in DL as a whole. Cowboys I guess have better LBs but they're still not good so does it really matter? Secondary I think the Eagles have the better safeties with CGJ and Blankenship/Sidney Brown. But the Cowboys have the edge on corners, although I'm not crazy about them. The Eagles could take that corner spot pretty quickly though with all the young potential they have there with Ringo, Rodgers, Quinyon, DeJean and Ricks. Plus Slay is still actually good, so the delta between corner units isn't huge to me.

I haven't broken down the entire list, but that Cowboy-Eagle disparity alone discredits the whole thing for me. You can feel how you want about the Eagles collapse last season, how the new coordinators will do, how Jalen will bounce back after a just-okay season, but I think from a raw roster and talent collection standpoint you have to give them their roses as a tier 1 team. And quite frankly I don't think the Cowboys are a tier 1 talent team any longer, especially after the exodus of talent they underwent this off-season.

The Houston Texans should actually be a bit higher potentially, they have a totally loaded roster.  Quality depth on the OL and quality depth at the WR spot also with a super star in Diggs which will be huge.  Also defensively much improved with bringing in Hunter and Autry.  Al-Shaair coming on is massive also and gives them three very good run and hit linebackers.  Secondary is rock solid with super versatile safeties in Ward and Pitre plus Lassiter could be a great slot corner if Okudah can stay healthy along with Stingley.  Top to bottom they are probably top 5 roster in the NFL.  Oh and they have Joe Mixon also, damn.  

Miami should be higher also, hell they brought in Chop Robinson and Shaq Barrett on the edge, and that is only if Phillips and Chubb get hurt again.  That is a rock solid top 4 edge guys and bringing in the super vet Calais Campbell at DE is huge and he is such a great leader.  Bringing in Brooks also is big if he can stay healthy.  OL depth and that slot corner could be an issue but they got a lot of solid parts no question and a loaded RB group with Jaylen Wright as a 3rd back and all of them can fly.  

Browns would be higher but they have a nut job at QB who constantly gets hurt and clearly is not what he used to be.  That is really holding them back because that roster especially defensively is stacked, probably best secondary in football. 

Packers are stacked also, curious how the switch from the 3/4 goes, not sure that was the right move but they are far improved at safety and have such depth.  Easily one of the deepest most talented rosters in the NFL in terms of quality depth at multiple spots.

Steelers are another one, if they can figure out a QB and Russell Wilson should be the guy and if not Fields, that is a very talented roster top to bottom especially in that young OL comes together.  

11 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I know I'm an Eagles die hard and a Cowboys despiser, but to have the Cowboys not only higher, but 4 spots higher than the Eagles is comical.

True, especially with the Cowboys changes at LB, maybe Kendricks can still ball out and Clark is ok but I would say the Eagles improvements at LB are better than the Cowboys.  If the Cowboys hit totally with Guyton and Beebe in the OL, that will help greatly.  Beebe I still fee is better as a guard but time will tell and Guyton is crazy inexperienced to start at LT right away but we will see, surprised they did not move Tyler Smith to LT.  Also the Cowboys lost a lot defensively especially on the DL so we will see if guys like Mazi Smith can actually produce.

Still Eagles no way are as low as this list has them.  

Really curious where Jayron Kearse goes, isn't he still a free agent...

14 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I just don't see how you can have the Vikings that low? These rankings are pretty wild. 

Maybe but still that QB spot is a massive question mark and if Sam Darnold cannot be a quality starter things could be rough for a bit with McCarthy considering how limited he was in college.  Aaron Jones and his health is huge, it is a totally different team is Aaron Jones is not the dominating back he was the last 4-5 games for Green Bay last year, and instead is on IR which could easily happen.

I do feel they made good changes on defense to fit the scheme and if they can get quality CB play from Griffin or Jackson the rookie that could change a lot of things for the better.  Also if Dallas Turner becomes an elite edge rusher, that will help greatly as well, if he does not it could be a big problem but they are very versatile now with Turner, Van Ginkel and Greenard, and if Tillery or Jhiad Ward can produce on the DL the unit overall could be improved from last year.  A lot of question marks though and lacking quality depth but that could change.  

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The Houston Texans should actually be a bit higher potentially, they have a totally loaded roster.  Quality depth on the OL and quality depth at the WR spot also with a super star in Diggs which will be huge.  Also defensively much improved with bringing in Hunter and Autry.  Al-Shaair coming on is massive also and gives them three very good run and hit linebackers.  Secondary is rock solid with super versatile safeties in Ward and Pitre plus Lassiter could be a great slot corner if Okudah can stay healthy along with Stingley.  Top to bottom they are probably top 5 roster in the NFL.  Oh and they have Joe Mixon also, damn.  

Miami should be higher also, hell they brought in Chop Robinson and Shaq Barrett on the edge, and that is only if Phillips and Chubb get hurt again.  That is a rock solid top 4 edge guys and bringing in the super vet Calais Campbell at DE is huge and he is such a great leader.  Bringing in Brooks also is big if he can stay healthy.  OL depth and that slot corner could be an issue but they got a lot of solid parts no question and a loaded RB group with Jaylen Wright as a 3rd back and all of them can fly.  

Browns would be higher but they have a nut job at QB who constantly gets hurt and clearly is not what he used to be.  That is really holding them back because that roster especially defensively is stacked, probably best secondary in football. 

Packers are stacked also, curious how the switch from the 3/4 goes, not sure that was the right move but they are far improved at safety and have such depth.  Easily one of the deepest most talented rosters in the NFL in terms of quality depth at multiple spots.

Steelers are another one, if they can figure out a QB and Russell Wilson should be the guy and if not Fields, that is a very talented roster top to bottom especially in that young OL comes together.  

True, especially with the Cowboys changes at LB, maybe Kendricks can still ball out and Clark is ok but I would say the Eagles improvements at LB are better than the Cowboys.  If the Cowboys hit totally with Guyton and Beebe in the OL, that will help greatly.  Beebe I still fee is better as a guard but time will tell and Guyton is crazy inexperienced to start at LT right away but we will see, surprised they did not move Tyler Smith to LT.  Also the Cowboys lost a lot defensively especially on the DL so we will see if guys like Mazi Smith can actually produce.

Still Eagles no way are as low as this list has them.  

Really curious where Jayron Kearse goes, isn't he still a free agent...

Maybe but still that QB spot is a massive question mark and if Sam Darnold cannot be a quality starter things could be rough for a bit with McCarthy considering how limited he was in college.  Aaron Jones and his health is huge, it is a totally different team is Aaron Jones is not the dominating back he was the last 4-5 games for Green Bay last year, and instead is on IR which could easily happen.

I do feel they made good changes on defense to fit the scheme and if they can get quality CB play from Griffin or Jackson the rookie that could change a lot of things for the better.  Also if Dallas Turner becomes an elite edge rusher, that will help greatly as well, if he does not it could be a big problem but they are very versatile now with Turner, Van Ginkel and Greenard, and if Tillery or Jhiad Ward can produce on the DL the unit overall could be improved from last year.  A lot of question marks though and lacking quality depth but that could change.  

Regardless I don't think anybody is sweating that Cowboys LB corps. It's bad just like ours lol. Kendricks signed for peanuts which always tells you a lot. Tells you what the league thinks of him. It feels like malpractice for Dallas to just throw Guyton out there as a rookie LT. First test: Myles Garrett lol. And idk who Kearse is with, if anyone, but he was an unheralded part of that defense for a while. Was a unique player for them. They've lost a lot. Roster talent wise at this point I'd have them towards the bottom of the top half of the league. Like 13th or 14th. That might be being generous.

1 hour ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Regardless I don't think anybody is sweating that Cowboys LB corps. It's bad just like ours lol. Kendricks signed for peanuts which always tells you a lot. Tells you what the league thinks of him. It feels like malpractice for Dallas to just throw Guyton out there as a rookie LT. First test: Myles Garrett lol. And idk who Kearse is with, if anyone, but he was an unheralded part of that defense for a while. Was a unique player for them. They've lost a lot. Roster talent wise at this point I'd have them towards the bottom of the top half of the league. Like 13th or 14th. That might be being generous.

They do have two of the best playmaking corners in the NFL with Diggs and Bland, who knows id Diggs can stay healthy.  At LB Overshown could be a solid player but who knows coming off that injury and he is not proven.  Liufau could be decent and is better/quicker than what they have had, what Zimmer is like now as a coach I do not know.

But yes with those OL questions not sure why they are that high, middle of the back seems more likely.

The Detroit Lions are easily top 5 if not top 3.  They have improved at CB with Carlton Davis and Arnold potentially not to mention rookie Rakestraw who could be legit and they added Amik Robertson and still have Moseley who is solid if he can stay healthy.  So they should be much improved, still probably the best OL in football, two awesome backs and if Davenport can stay healthy it will provide a great opposite edge to Hutchinson, and Reader in the middle is a force despite his age.

Jets who knows what that OL will be with so many old guys and injured guys in that group.  Bengals could be awesome, added Geno Stone at safety and are rock solid defensively at all levels, adding Kris Jenkins who could be great, getting Mims on the OL to develop and bringing in Trent Brown opposite Orlando Brown Jr, they could be very good and I am sure Chase Brown will pick up the slack at RB.

Packers though have arguably the deepest DL in the NFL, one of the deepest WR groups in the NFL, RB groups and TE groups.  If the corners can stay healthy they will be really good not to mention having the super promising Jordan Love at QB.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

Rams at 14th seems about right for now. Though I doubt Michael Hoecht will be a starter again.

Rams have made some rock solid moves, brought in Jonah Jackson who will be an improvement at OG, Blake Corum adds a ton to an already solid run game with Kyren.  Verse will help a ton and sure Hoecht will not start most likely long term but provides great depth in case of injury and will start early in the season possibly.  Kinchens should be a star at safety and a future starter and White should be a great improvement at CB if he can stay healthy.  

They are such a tough football team and lead by a HOF QB.  Nacua just beats guys up at WR and he was a rookie last year, no defenders wanted to deal with him and that YAC.

10 hours ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

Rams at 14th seems about right for now. Though I doubt Michael Hoecht will be a starter again.

I agree. They have the Rams ranked pretty much where they should be.

When I look at the Niners being ranked 1st I just think its pretty sad how they can continuously have the best roster or at least one of the best rosters year after year with a really good if not great coaching staff and front office yet have zero titles to show for it. I know winning the Superbowl is hard but they are making it seem impossible. And I look at them as the NFL version of the Boston Celtics. Well not anymore bc Boston finally broke through and won having the best or at least one of the best rosters in the NBA year after year. So you can say they had an easy path this season but they finally got it done. The Niners finally have to get it done and win a title bc again its hard to imagine them having everything a franchise looks for in terms of the roster, quality QB play, good to great coaching, and a great front office and yet no Superbowls to show for any of it. If they cant get it done now then when? Thats what Im basically saying. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I agree. They have the Rams ranked pretty much where they should be.

When I look at the Niners being ranked 1st I just think its pretty sad how they can continuously have the best roster or at least one of the best rosters year after year with a really good if not great coaching staff and front office yet have zero titles to show for it. I know winning the Superbowl is hard but they are making it seem impossible. And I look at them as the NFL version of the Boston Celtics. Well not anymore bc Boston finally broke through and won having the best or at least one of the best rosters in the NBA year after year. So you can say they had an easy path this season but they finally got it done. The Niners finally have to get it done and win a title bc again its hard to imagine them having everything a franchise looks for in terms of the roster, quality QB play, good to great coaching, and a great front office and yet no Superbowls to show for any of it. If they cant get it done now then when? Thats what Im basically saying. 

Yeah they are better off this year than last year with Pearsall and Cowing as backup WRs, that should help them a lot.  They will miss Armstead a lot though because they do not have anyone that can replace him, Collins is ok but not nearly on that same level.  Did add edge guys with Floyd which is good and Yetur.  That will be an improvement along with a healthy Drake Jackson.

Campbell at LB could be an upgrade but can he stay healthy.  Not having Burks for LB depth could hurt them but a healthy Hufanga will help a lot.  Backup slot CB and Safety could be an issue but Renardo Green has promise, Lenoir for depth does help a ton though.  

Generally the team overall benefits greatly off Brock Purdy being cheap at the moment.  And he is not a free agent till what 2026, so two more years maybe of paying him dirt, at least one for sure.  That allows them to have such a good roster along with really solid drafting more often than not.

That OL could be a concern, Trent Williams is not as dominating as he used to be, at least not in big games last year.  If he goes down that is a very so so OL.  Sure it is solid across the board but outside of Williams no real elite talent.  Do have solid depth with Buford and Jaylon Moore as backups and Puni could be ok same with Drake Nugent.  No clue how Nugent was a UDFA, he is a solid center so maybe some of those guys improve, long term not sold on McKivitz or Feliciano but as of right now they are ok.

It is all about paying a top QB in Brock Purdy under $4 mil total for four years, allows for a lot of spending other places.  What $40-$50 mil a year for a top flight QB, so they are saving $36-$46 million a year having Purdy and you can get 3-5 decent starters that are veterans at other positions for that amount.  

Are the 49ers a better deeper roster than the Texans, Lions or Packers.  Not so sure they are but depends on the health of the WRs and the defenders.  Lions have a better OL by far, Packers have a deeper DL, all three have arguably a better QB possibly.  The stars of the 49ers carry them though because none of those three teams has LBs like Warner and Greenlaw, none have a back like McCaffrey, and arguably none have a DE like Bosa and none have a star LT like Trent Williams.  But depth wise those other rosters have them potentially long term at certain spots.  

Ravens losing Clowney could hurt possibly along with losing veteran OL, see how the younger guys do on that front for them and the loss of Queen, how Simpson does.  At least they could bring back Van Noy.  Chiefs are right there but that OT spot is an issue possibly especially if someone gets hurt, so who knows there.  The WRs brought in with Worthy and Brown could be huge though.  The loss of Sneed could be massive but we will see how great Watson is, if he can become a star or not so they have some questions.  If those things are all fine they arguably a the best roster because clearly the QB is on a different level than say Purdy.  

Edited by Ozzy