Watching the other five 2024 1st round rookie QB's....

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

yeah... ATL's "problem" or "mistake" was not drafting Penix at 8, but in signing Cousins and becoming beholden to him.

but there's always the real chance that Cousins doesn't play well, or has an injury that puts him on the bench. then ATL's problem only is a financial one.

On the flip side, if Kirk goes on to be the real deal and savior for Atlanta, would the Falcons consider getting a haul for Penix perhaps? 

Of course that would mean Atlanta doesn't have their long term option at QB, but winning a ring could change their perspective, right?

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

On the flip side, if Kirk goes on to be the real deal and savior for Atlanta, would the Falcons consider getting a haul for Penix perhaps? 

Of course that would mean Atlanta doesn't have their long term option at QB, but winning a ring could change their perspective, right?

I'd definitely keep Penix around.  No offense to Kirk, but I think the chances of Penix eventually winning a Super Bowl are going to be better than they are with Cousins.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

i see that as a no and a no on the relative likely scale.

• Like 1

Caleb Williams took his first game snaps as the Bears quarterback on Saturday and they were productive ones for the first overall pick of this year’s draft.

Williams was 4-of-7 for 95 yards while leading the Bears to a pair of field goals. A pair of drops kept his numbers from looking even better, but Williams converted a long third down with a pass to DJ Moore and found running back D’Andre Swift on a screen that turned into a 42-yard gain on the opening possession. Another completion to Moore and a 26-yard toss to tight end Cole Kmet highlighted his second possession. Williams also picked up 13 yards on a run.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/matt-eberflus-good-to-see-caleb-williamss-hard-work-pay-off

Bo Nix had a solid preseason debut on Sunday. The No. 12 overall pick of this year’s draft, Nix came in for the Broncos’ third possession and ended up playing into the third quarter — leading the team to three scoring drives.

All told, Nix was 15-of-21 passing for 125 yards with a touchdown, good for a 102.3 passer rating. He also rushed three times for 17 yards.

Notably, Nix was 4-of-5 for 50 yards with a touchdown on third downs.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bo-nix-shines-leads-broncos-to-four-scoring-drives-in-preseason-debut

5 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

That it largely doesn't matter right now. 

Everything that's being said right now is in the context of this being the preseason. We all know these games don't count toward a playoff berth. The painfully obvious doesn't need to be pointed out in Every. Single. Topic.

Edited by Sir Fobos
  • Like 3

Jacoby Brissett and Drake Maye remain in competition to be the Patriots’ starting quarterback when the regular season starts against the Bengals on September 8.

That’s the word from Patriots head coach Jerod Mayo, who said today that he hasn’t decided whether Brissett or Maye will start Week One, and won’t decide until after the preseason finale.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jerod-mayo-patriots-still-dont-know-who-our-week-1-starting-quarterback-will-be

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

They’re going to ruin Maye. 

@Soko writes:

"Maye’s been outplaying Jacoby lately, but Jacoby’s still getting most of the reps with the first team offense. Seems like he’s still in the QB-lead."

"If that‘s the case, I say get Maye in after the SF game. I want him to get on the field ASAP, but at that point you might as well get a couple tough defensive matchups out of the way. No reason to drop Maye in vs SF or the Jets defenses. The defenses after that are much more palatable. Mayo (along with former OC BoB) has reminded us lately that preseason games are usually really dumbed down offenses/defenses. So waiting until after SF also gives him a chance to see and sit through film rooms of real-time offensive/defensive calls."

Edited by vike daddy

Posted (edited)

Tom Brady: “I think it’s just a tragedy that we’re forcing these rookies to play early. But the reality is the only reason why they are is that we’ve dumbed the game down, which has allowed them to play.”

“There used to be college programs, now, there are college teams. You’re no longer learning a program, you’re learning a playbook. For five years, I got to learn how to drop-back pass, to read defenses, to read coverages, to be coached. I had to learn from being seventh quarterback on the depth chart to moving up to third to ultimately being a starter. I had to learn all those things in college. That was development.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/tom-brady-bemoans-game-being-dumbed-down-for-rookie-quarterbacks

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1