Brandon Aiyuk……do you want him?

11 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

That was probably their reaction also, when we traded HOF LT Trent Williams for a 3rd & a 5th. (Day 3 pick)

DO you think those situations are apples to apples? Don't you think if it actually took that little to get Aiyuk it would have been done by now?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

DO you think those situations are apples to apples? Don't you think if it actually took that little to get Aiyuk it would have been done by now?

Maybe, maybe not.

But as we saw Peters handling draft day? He's not impulsive & will do everything he can, to get the best deal.

We have no idea, what the 49ers are wanting in a trade for Aiuk.

Do I think it's going to cost more than a 3rd & 5th to land Aiuk in a trade? Yes, most likely.

How much more? No idea

Even the 49ers realize, we will be extending Aiuk's contract in any trade.

No way in the world, is Peters gonna throw out a 1st plus 30m a year in a trade. That isn't gonna happen.

He might do a 2nd, or a conditional pick that becomes a 2nd.

I have a feeling it will be a player from the Rivera holdover, that they know they will either cut this year or not re-sign at the end of the year.

Like maybe Jamin Davis(hope not him)...or Forbes.

Someone still on their rookie contract, who still might carry some value that the 49ers like. (Please take Mathis San fran)

I think a 3rd this year, maybe 3rd or 4th next year & player could get it done.

Remember people....Aiuk WANTS to come here. 

If we were trading for Justin Jefferson? That would be a different story.

Draft picks carry more value now, than they did 5-10 yrs ago. Imo.....

Edited by aceinthehouse

Realistically, if Aiyuk wants to play elsewhere, he could just play out his contract. They would have to tag him next year if they wanted to keep him. He could refuse to sign the tag too.

• Like 1

Let’s be very honest about this question. If we were any other team and if this was coming out alittle later and Jayden had proven his game on the field you don’t even question this move. If you’re trying to comp any scenario to this the closest thing would be pairing Joey B with Jamar Chase while they already had a Higgins and Boyd. The issue with the move while it got them to the Bowl they completely ignored and shortened Joey B’s prime years with injury and hits piling up. Even Joey B this offseason was talking about how these hits have added up and can’t be sustained. 

We’ve seen the hits pile up on Cam, Burrow, Luck, and so many other QB’s who showed amazing talent. We even saw the hits piling up on Mahomes early and the Chiefs said you know what we will let Mahomes make weapons and we will make sure he has protection. 

The reality is you make this move your essentially saying we’re going to go through Jayden’s whole rookie window without the opportunity to pick high enough for the range of high end impact edges and OT’s. Not that you can’t draft and develop a quality guy outside the top 10-15 but the guys that go there have the complete tool bag and have a higher chance to be top level.

So to the topic. You can say we’re going to give Jayden every weapon at the expense and hope of his health holds up. Or you say we will get him a bunch of variety of skill sets maybe a tier below the top end and we prioritize his protection and will get him extra opportunities with our defense. Personally the way Peters has been apart of in Denver, NE and SF they haven’t been affraid to make trades for stars. But it was always a star for Value. A premium pick and contract hasn’t been their MO. They traded for McCaffery. Yes a bunch of picks to equal a 1 but not a 1. Aquib Talib. Payed him but not premium pick. Dware signed no premium picks. I believe if they could get Aiyuk for a mix of picks and not a premium selection I believe they would explore. It. But I know they see the overall roster and I have to believe that if they are doing assessment; this next years top pick has to be highlighted to be allocated to a more important position where we are clearly weaker but where you can’t get the same upside later in the draft as you can at WR. 

So it’s not that you wouldn’t make this trade. But you have a better shot at solidifying the OL higher in the draft outside of later than you do WR. Same with edge. Especially with CB. All three of those spots could be our biggest weaknesses. And next year to our benifit these positions all have really really high end players that could be avalible in our draft range. Along with WR which is seemingly a flooding well these days.

@ripsean21 I don’t agree. Getting Aiyuk doesn’t move the needle that much on our season. It’s not like we get him and then our roster is better than the Eagles or Cowboys. We’d still likely not make the playoffs.

We would still have a top 15 pick in next years draft and maybe a top 10 pick where we could and should take a LT prospect if one is available.

As to your point about the Bengals, again I have to disagree there. They had drafted Jonah Williams to be who they hoped would be their franchise LT 11th overall in the 2019 draft but sadly for them he didn’t develop into a franchise LT, but it’s not like they didn’t have a good opportunity to get one there. 

Also, they traded for Orlando Brown, Jr., so even though they added a WR high in the draft they’ve still had other opportunities to draft the LT position and we will too.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

I do it in a heartbeat!

I posted this in news section.

Offer CB Emmanuel Forbes #16 pick in 23' & a 3rd & 5th in 25' for WR Brandon Aiyuk.

Forbes still has value

Doesn't fit our scheme on the backend at all.

We want tough, strong, big hitting CB's that can tackle.

Forbes is a skinny, ball hawking corner who is not meant to tackle very much. He's a very poor man's Deion Sanders. Again....drafted by the old regime.

We've improved our back end. Not to mention there's some sleepers on this team, I think have some very good potential. Plus our draftees.

It keeps us from trading away high draft resources. Like a 1st or 2nd.

And we become absolutely lethal at WR, for our rookie Jayden Daniels to help out.

I would shop Dotson & Brown too. (Although I would rather keep Dotson, if we can)

And D- line Mathis? I'd trade him for a McCaffrey brothers Podcast.

As should always be the case, the main concern is the cost. 

We should want Aiyuk as a player. He’s a good fit at the X, which would give McLaurin the ability to have a little more freedom to operate at the LOS. Having two viable X receivers is a big advantage for an offense. He’s also a good fit with Daniels — as I’ve said, Daniels needs guys who can win within structure, and Aiyuk has become a high-end route runner/separator. His YAC ability also adds a new dimension that we lack tremendously on the perimeter. 

A deal isn’t going to happen without an extension, so you have to bake a massive contract into the equation. I think we can handle a huge contract better than just about anyone — we’ve got the benefit of a rookie QB, and we’re only paying 3 guys significant money. Still, doing a big extension with Aiyuk likely means Terry has to walk at the end of his deal, unless he’s staying for a price cut — so that’s a factor. And cap space is cap space, so we can’t act like a massive extension isn’t a serious asset we’d be using up to get/keep him.

It then comes down to what the Niners want. I’d do our 2025 3rd rounder, plus a conditional future pick. I think I’d have a hard time going much higher than that, when you take into account the fact that we’re also burning a giant pile of cap space in the exchange. When you’re giving up two separate player acquisition assets (a day 2 pick and a large percentage of your cap space), the cost becomes very difficult to justify very quickly.

I think they probably wouldn’t do it for that return. But I’d walk away if they wanted more than that.

• Like 3

Aiyuk asking for a trade changes nothing. He’s under contract with the 49ers. So until they decide to trade him, or if they ever do. As of right now it seems to me that Aiyuk won’t be available for us to acquire until he’s a free agent.

Wide outs contracts have gotten inflated . Some pushing Q B deals-just too much. He'll be at that $28-30 million a year level.. Just can't do it. The Chiefs traded Tyreek Hill-still won the SuperBowl. Keep the powder dry for Tackles and Edge.

• Like 1