Position Battles: QB1/DE2/LG/RT/CB3/RB2/TE1

The biggest story coming into training camp is the QB1

We also have other position battles such as RT, LG , Outside CB or CB3 , starting DE and TE1

Who is everyone’s prediction to win the battles?

QB1: Minshew

RT: Munford 

LG: JPJ

DE: Koonce

CB3: Facyson

TE1: Bowers

RB2: Laube 

• QB: AOC
  • RT: Munford
  • LG: JPJ
  • DE: Tyree (Will "start" but be in a heavy rotation with Koonce and co)
  • CB3: Would love to see Bennett take that next step here, but I still think we sign/trade for another top-ish CB. I don't like this position for us.
  • TE1: Same with DE, I think Bowers "Starts" but Mayer rarely comes off the field. I think we do a ton of 2 TE sets or simply have Brock in the slot a lot of the time
  • RB: Mattison
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:
  • CB3: Would love to see Bennett take that next step here, but I still think we sign/trade for another top-ish CB. I don't like this position for us.
  • TE1: Same with DE, I think Bowers "Starts" but Mayer rarely comes off the field. I think we do a ton of 2 TE sets or simply have Brock in the slot a lot of the time

TE is definitely as asterisk. Mayer and Bowers will be on the field a lot at the same time

We don’t have a Fullback on the roster. So it’s either 2 TE sets, 2 RBs or 3 WRs 

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

The biggest story coming into training camp is the QB1

We also have other position battles such as RT, LG, Outside CB or CB3, starting DE and TE1

Who is everyone’s prediction to win the battles?

Laube will probably play a 3rd down roll to start.  He'll probably even split time as the 3rd down RB.  More of a pass catching back and ST player.  

AOC to start.  Minshew may come in if he plays terribly or gets hurt.  

Koonce will be the primary DE across Crosby while T. Wilson plays DT in the dime to continue developing his hand technique and first step.

JPJ has the LG position locked up for the next 10 years.

I have no idea what will happen with CB but when have we ever?  We haven't had solid CB depth in forever.

Bowers and Mayer will probably both be on the field like 60-90% of our offensive plays.  Bowers/Mayer>Michael Gallup who is our current #3 WR.  Bowers and Mayer offer better run support.  Mayer in his second season will most likely out-produce Gallup if Gallup can't produce at a slightly higher level than he did this past season.  Even when only one of them is on the field, I can see Bowers and Mayer taking turns at TE1 frequently because they both bring different things to the table.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:
  • QB: AOC
  • RT: Munford- I think he is an easy choice
  • LG: JPJ - I don't see the competition 
  • DE: Tyree will start and play early down at DE to stop the run. Then shift inside to pass rush and Koonce more reps 
  • CB2: I think Hobbs is a lock to CB3. I think the rookie Richardson has a chance to surprise and battle Fracyson. Bennett a dark horse 
  • TE: I think Mayer starts but Bowers is used all over and on passing downs 
  • RB: I think Zamir is the primary back and Laube is the 3rd down back. Mattison is used as insurance and to keep snaps down 
  • Like 2

I’m high on Laube.

I’m not sure Mattison makes the team. He looked like a starting NFL RB1 when spelling time with Dalvin Cook in Minnesota. Once he became a feature back, he was very mediocre. If we can get the Mattison #25  from the 1st few years he was in the NFL, we could have a very solid RB room

I also expect run plays from Tucker and Bowers 

10 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:
  • DE: Tyree will start and play early down at DE to stop the run. Then shift inside to pass rush and Koonce more reps 
  • CB2: I think Hobbs is a lock to CB3. I think the rookie Richardson has a chance to surprise and battle Fracyson. Bennett a dark horse 
  • RB: I think Zamir is the primary back and Laube is the 3rd down back. Mattison is used as insurance and to keep snaps down 

Hobbs is CB2 but since he excels in the Slot it can be considered CB3. The outside corner position is an interesting competition. One of the rookies, Bennett and Facyson can take it

On 7/15/2024 at 4:44 PM, bucksavage1 said:

QB1:  O’Connell - I had picked Minshew previously but I think AOC can win this now.

RT:  Munford - no change here

LG:  JPJ - unless there’s an injury or something

DE:  Koonce - Wilson will have some time there and at DT in a pass rush set I think but functionally Koonce and Crosby are the starters

CB3:  Bennett - there must have been something there for him to start as a 4th rounder last year so hoping he can build off that with strong challenges from Devonshire and Richardson

TE1:  Mayer - strictly because I think Bowers will be moved around so Mayer could spend more actual snaps at TE than Bowers

RB2:  Mattison - Laine I feel will be the 3rd down back and still get involved but White and Mattison should get the bulk of actual carries

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

QB1:  O’Connell - I had picked Minshew previously but I think AOC can win this now.

RT:  Munford - no change here

LG:  JPJ - unless there’s an injury or something

DE:  Koonce - Wilson will have some time there and at DT in a pass rush set I think but functionally Koonce and Crosby are the starters

CB3:  Bennett - there must have been something there for him to start as a 4th rounder last year so hoping he can build off that with strong challenges from Devonshire and Richardson

TE1:  Mayer - strictly because I think Bowers will be moved around so Mayer could spend more actual snaps at TE than Bowers

RB2:  Mattison - Laine I feel will be the 3rd down back and still get involved but White and Mattison should get the bulk of actual carries

Adoree Jackson still makes sense to me. I think he can bounce back and become a steal 

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Adoree Jackson still makes sense to me. I think he can bounce back and become a steal 

Adoree Jackson has been injured has dealt with injuries 4 of the last 5 seasons. He's had some solid seasons, but far from a great player looking to rebound.

NY attempted to move him inside until their rookies struggled outside. They moved him back outside (where he'd play for Vegas) and he had the worst coverage grade of his career. He's another year older and comes with injury concerns. 

I'm not opposed to adding him, but a "steal" is a bit much. He was never a top end corner. If he returns to form at best he's a mid guy. More likely he's on a downtrend and is just a body at this stage.

40 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Adoree Jackson has been injured has dealt with injuries 4 of the last 5 seasons. He's had some solid seasons, but far from a great player looking to rebound.

NY attempted to move him inside until their rookies struggled outside. They moved him back outside (where he'd play for Vegas) and he had the worst coverage grade of his career. He's another year older and comes with injury concerns. 

I'm not opposed to adding him, but a "steal" is a bit much. He was never a top end corner. If he returns to form at best he's a mid guy. More likely he's on a downtrend and is just a body at this stage.

You said you wouldn’t be against signing him, but wrote 3 paragraphs on why not to sign him? 😳😬

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

You said you wouldn’t be against signing him, but wrote 3 paragraphs on why not to sign him? 😳😬

No, I wrote 3 paragraphs about how you don't understand what the word "steal" means and continue to overuse. 

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Good point on Bowers. He’s more versatile and can line up in the slot, as a H-back, out wide. Lots of mismatches especially if Tucker speed can be on the field 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I’d personally prefer Gilmore out of the FA cornerbacks available. He would take advantage of the pass rush

On 7/16/2024 at 2:56 AM, Humble_Beast said:

I think you’re right about Bowers, i’ll probably play in the slot more than anything else.