Training Camp 2024

Madmike90

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

That's a good sign

I would have really liked Jenkins to have taken that role since he is trying to justify a big-*** extension, but at least Bates seems to sound like an upgrade. Hopefully he plays like it on Sundays. 

On 7/20/2024 at 6:34 AM, dll2000 said:

You say that.

But Floyd was a consensus first round pick.  Not only that, but a high first round pick.  

Booker was a consensus mid round pick.   I find that difference interesting.  

I think it is primarily because there was a lot more tape on Floyd.  Bigger program and stage.  Better competition.  Floyd looked like an elite athlete.  he had the ideal measurables and I believe there is this thinking that there is no real difference between a college senior at 21 or 23/24.  You evaluate either the same.   Which I strongly disagree.  

There was still a lot of projection, but go back and read scouting reports and most thought he would be an elite player in league.  He did turn into a good player.

I was against drafting Floyd.  Other than his weight my problem with him was that he was not an edge rusher in college.  Based on his size and athleticism we figured we could turn him into one and failed.  Eventually he did learn the skill set to go along with the rest but not while he was a Bear.

When I see tape of Booker I see a more pure edge rusher.  He has the size, the speed, and hands needed to succeed but he'll still need time to learn how to put that all together at this level.  He's got length and a wiry frame but he should still be able to fill out and play somewhere between 250-255lbs.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2024 at 5:03 PM, Madmike90 said:

Stevenson with another year of experience under his belt is going to be a lot of fun to watch this season.

He's a tough kid who wants to be great.  We have two very good CBs.

59 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

The whole we might sign Yannick storyline doesn't have the same shine as last year.

Ogbah going to MIA for up to $5M whent they both worked out together could say a few different things. Ogbah was on the team the last few years, so theirs familiarity. Did Yannick price himself out? or is he not as good as ogbah, and therefore cheaper than up to $5M, which is good for us.

Hearing decent things out of Jacob Martin in camp tho - if Eric Washington is able to coach him up, does Poles feel comfortable about running him, d-walk, and book opposite sweat? saw a report that DomRob kicked inside next to Pickens and Martin/Sweat on the outside - that could be intriguing.

seems like after every practice there's a mention of tyler scott getting open deep and CW hitting him. If he develops into that deep role like we hoped he could, that would be a huge boost to WR4 and open things up for DJM/KA/RO

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

The whole we might sign Yannick storyline doesn't have the same shine as last year.

The only way he gives you something this year is if he plays minimal pass rush only snaps and I am wondering if they think they can get similar results for way less money with  Jacob Martin (who Eric Washington really talked up today) while Booker develops.

19 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Yeah because he sucked then and he sucks now

Relative ability is a lesser matter to me though IMO. The only question that matters at this juncture is, is he better than Jacob Martin in a subpackage edge rush role?

17 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Relative ability is a lesser matter to me though IMO. The only question that matters at this juncture is, is he better than Jacob Martin in a subpackage edge rush role?

Yes.  Will present day Yannick, coming off an injury, give you anything more than what you already have in Walker, Booker, Martin and Robinson.  And is it worth the developmental reps he may take from Booker?

I don’t know that he does.  

I think Walker really doesn’t like current perception of himself.  Listening to interview, he said he was fine and didn’t care.   But body language and voice say something different.   

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Yes.  Will present day Yannick, coming off an injury, give you anything more than what you already have in Walker, Booker, Martin and Robinson.  And is it worth the developmental reps he may take from Booker?

I don’t know that he does.  

In fairness to Ngakoue, he was also miscast in Chicago last year. He’s best in a role as a situational pass rusher, and last year he played for a team that (before his injury) was seldom in obvious pass rush situations, both because the offense was incredibly inconsistent and because the early season defense was bad at pretty much everything. That’s not to say Ngakoue shouldn’t have been better last year - he should have - that’s to say that the 2024 Bears should be in position to set him up with more opportunities to succeed in that more appropriate role than last year’s squad. 

• Like 1