49ers Training camp 2024

2 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

30 year old Amari Cooper doesn't get me too excited. Also, Brock wouldn't have much time to build any chemistry with him before the season starts. 

He would at least be a very good stop gap option for 24 instead of relying on a rookie and KB coming off an ACL tear.. hurts to see Chicago land Keenan Allen for a 4th, with better timing he could have been the guy for this year

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I just wonder what the package is from the Steelers? It can’t be a guard and a pick. NE/CLE both have receivers and picks included in their supposed packages. 

Some ppl including beat writers asking for Fautanu are delusional. 

If the pats/browns are offering a second+ player, something like James Daniels+ 2 is in line, I think. 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

If the pats/browns are offering a second+ player, something like James Daniels+ 2 is in line, I think. 

But now that they have to sweeten the pot, I wonder what they will offer. Plus if we were to get Daniel’s, he doesn’t really help us or can he play C? From my understanding Puni is going to be the RG moving forward. 

1 minute ago, StevenK said:

But now that they have to sweeten the pot, I wonder what they will offer. Plus if we were to get Daniel’s, he doesn’t really help us or can he play C? From my understanding Puni is going to be the RG moving forward. 

He played center at Iowa. 

If the Steelers are still an option I wouldn’t mind trying to pry Nick Herbig or Darnell Washington off of them too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StevenK said:

They don't have to. They can call the niners bluff. 

Aiyuk may not want to sign with New England or Cleveland

59 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

30 year old Amari Cooper doesn't get me too excited. Also, Brock wouldn't have much time to build any chemistry with him before the season starts. 

I don't see how trading Cooper works out for the Browns unless they use some extreme structure on the Aiyuk extension (no signing bonus, backloaded, but fully guaranteed). They just restructured Cooper, converting 18.88M of his 2024 salary into a signing bonus. The Browns still have to account for 11.328M from his previous restructure in 2022. Trading Cooper at this point is going to result in dead cap hits of $7.534M this year and $22.584M next year. Tack on an Aiyuk extension (2024 25M signing bonus, 2025 35M option bonus, minimized p5 salaries) and the collective cap hits from Aiyuk and Cooper are like $15M in 2024 and $37M in 2025.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

I do really enjoy the fact that no one seemingly knows who Rickey is, but he certainly seems to be turning everything on its head.

Got Tom P. all up in arms earlier today and these other folks taking what he’s saying as gospel (although his track record has been very good). 

We never seem to have a dull offseason anymore.

Bill Terriers are a mess bruh

3 minutes ago, typecast said:

I don't see how trading Cooper works out for the Browns unless they use some extreme structure on the Aiyuk extension (no signing bonus, backloaded, but fully guaranteed). They just restructured Cooper, converting 18.88M of his 2024 salary into a signing bonus. The Browns still have to account for 11.328M from his previous restructure in 2022. Trading Cooper at this point is going to result in dead cap hits of $7.534M this year and $22.584M next year. Tack on an Aiyuk extension (2024 25M signing bonus, 2025 35M option bonus, minimized p5 salaries) and the collective cap hits from Aiyuk and Cooper are like $15M in 2024 and $37M in 2025.

Oh damn, I didn't realize they are like 80 million over the cap next year. They are going to be restructuring like crazy

22 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

The 49ers couldn't have made this situation any worse.

Honestly? They just got beat. I can only assume they thought they could wear Aiyuk down and get him to sign or at least show up and play it out. 

If they are looking to trade him now, they realized it wasn't going to happen. 

Kudos to Aiyuk 

7 minutes ago, typecast said:

Yeah I was going to post about Cooper's $22 million cap hit that occurs next season. So they'd take that on as he's playing ball for the 49ers. And they'd be trying to extend Aiyuk. But this is the same franchise that already has the Watson contract shackling them that they happily handed out. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Oh damn, I didn't realize they are like 80 million over the cap next year. They are going to be restructuring like crazy

Yea, OTC has them 60M over with a league cap of 260M. They are basically rolling over every dollar they have in space this year (29M under atm) and praying for beyond expectations cap growth like the 49ers.

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly? They just got beat. I can only assume they thought they could wear Aiyuk down and get him to sign or at least show up and play it out. 

If they are looking to trade him now, they realized it wasn't going to happen. 

Kudos to Aiyuk 

Aiyuk doesn't really win though. At the end of the day the 49ers can just have Aiyuk be a malcontent on a SB ready roster. He either plays, and tries to advertise his services for his next squad down the road, or he sits out, and loses game checks. 49ers would have to block out the noise, but if they're winning, and winning convincingly without him then it won't matter. They should have traded him earlier if they were going to do so. Doesn't make sense to do so now. 

His tearful interview after the SB loss looks pretty phony now. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Yeah I was going to post about Cooper's $22 million cap hit that occurs next season. So they'd take that on as he's playing ball for the 49ers. And they'd be trying to extend Aiyuk. But this is the same franchise that already has the Watson contract shackling them that they happily handed out. 

The Browns would take the 22M next year whether he's traded or not. They would take 7.534M this year and the 49ers would only be on the hook for his 1.21M salary (not guaranteed). The 49ers would save 12.914M this year by replacing Aiyuk's 5th year option with Cooper's salary. Then they have to make a decision to extend a 31 year old Cooper next year.

Edited by typecast
  • Like 1