49ers Training camp 2024

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, this pick feels busty. Unfortunate. 

Can't believe they knew this was a thing and then still took him there

I think they bet on how durable he was in college and overlooked the shoulder issue a bit. Sucks, but there were some really good players available at #31. Oh well. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Really? I certainly can lol. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Feel like you'd learn something from the Kinlaw and Jackson picks........Also, if you were going to have physical issues, I really don't get why you don't go higher upside than a Z or slot guy. Man, does the coaching staff fall in love and then just kind of lose their minds at the start of the draft. And then they have like negative self-awareness and correction towards addressing that regular failure. But hey, that sort of thing is really hard and they are good at the coaching football.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Feel like you'd learn something from the Kinlaw and Jackson picks........Also, if you were going to have physical issues, I really don't get why you don't go higher upside than a Z or slot guy. Man, does the coaching staff fall in love and then just kind of lose their minds at the start of the draft. And then they have like negative self-awareness and correction towards addressing that regular failure. But hey, that sort of thing is really hard and they are good at the coaching football.

My impression is that Kyle just falls in love with guys solely based on their film. Obviously when watching film they are on the field and injury history doesn’t really play into things.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forge said:

They get too cute with their first round pick. We can’t be surprised, they do this constantly in the first round. I almost want them to be like the Rams and just trade their first round every year so we can at least get a good vet. Heck Kyle doesn’t like playing rookies much of the time anyways, so why not. 

Now granted, not that many teams are willing to trade away a good player, but I would rather they do that than just throw a dart at the board for a possible “blue chip” guy. They do better in the later rounds of the draft anyways. 

2 minutes ago, StevenK said:

They get too cute with their first round pick. We can’t be surprised, they do this constantly in the first round. I almost want them to be like the Rams and just trade their first round every year so we can at least get a good vet. Heck Kyle doesn’t like playing rookies much of the time anyways, so why not. 

Now granted, not that many teams are willing to trade away a good player, but I would rather they do that than just throw a dart at the board for a possible “blue chip” guy. They do better in the later rounds of the draft anyways. 

One thing that Kyle said struck me after the draft this year was something Kyle said about his thoughts on drafting players. I'm paraphrasing because I don't remember the actual quote, but the basic sentiment was 'We are going to draft guys that can already play. We are not going to draft a guy and hope he can learn to play'. I find that to be a very interesting thought process and probably a reason why we passed on a guy like Kingsley Suamataia. 

In a perfect world you'd want a guy to be polished coming into the NFL, but many times these guys have been able to just bully guys their entire life and need some refining in the NFL. I would think coaches at the highest level would be the best qualified people to develop these young players, but it almost seems like Kyle is just looking for safer guys who may already be closer to their ceiling that can come in and just run his system. 

I think Trey Lance was a huge outlier obviously, but he also came from a pro-style offense so maybe that was one of the reason Kyle was drawn to him. 

Personally, I wouldn't mind us shooting for the moon sometimes even if we miss. 

It could be that I'm way off too. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GW21 said:

One thing that Kyle said struck me after the draft this year was something Kyle said about his thoughts on drafting players. I'm paraphrasing because I don't remember the actual quote, but the basic sentiment was 'We are going to draft guys that can already play. We are not going to draft a guy and hope he can learn to play'. I find that to be a very interesting thought process and probably a reason why we passed on a guy like Kingsley Suamataia. 

In a perfect world you'd want a guy to be polished coming into the NFL, but many times these guys have been able to just bully guys their entire life and need some refining in the NFL. I would think coaches at the highest level would be the best qualified people to develop these young players, but it almost seems like Kyle is just looking for safer guys who may already be closer to their ceiling that can come in and just run his system. 

I think Trey Lance was a huge outlier obviously, but he also came from a pro-style offense so maybe that was one of the reason Kyle was drawn to him. 

I think that the staff gets at least their share and more of good young players in the building, but it drives me nuts how it happens because I swear if they just let us do the first two rounds, we'd do a better job. And that's dumb.

7 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Correct, he stated that when ppl were asking about their draft class because they drafted a lot of “older” players that were part of the COVID class. 

5 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I think that the staff gets at least their share and more of good young players in the building, but it drives me nuts how it happens because I swear if they just let us do the first two rounds, we'd do a better job. And that's dumb.

I used Kingsley Suamataia as an example because he was a bit raw, but it looks like he’s going to be the starting LT for KC now and from what I read is doing well. Also I drafted him in our shadow draft. 

Our staff has done amazing on day 3 though and as many have said is what is really the reason we still have an elite roster.

6 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I used Kingsley Suamataia as an example because he was a bit raw, but it looks like he’s going to be the starting LT for KC now and from what I read is doing well. Also I drafted him in our shadow draft. 

Our staff has done amazing on day 3 though and as many have said is what is really the reason we still have an elite roster.

Ditto Roger Rosengarten. For us who were in the Jer'Zhan Newton camp, I think we could have made better decisions with the information that the team had on hand about his injury status.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Oh, wow. I loved Suamataia but knew he was not ready to start. Are they honestly going to do that? He's athletic enough to handle the job but he isn't savvy enough to be consistent at it. Veteran rushers will likely eat his lunch often. This may be an interesting season for the Chefs.

6 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Ditto Roger Rosengarten. For us who were in the Jer'Zhan Newton camp, I think we could have made better decisions with the information that the team had on hand about his injury status.

Yeah, this is what puts us arm-chair GMs at a disadvantage. We don't have the medical data that teams do; we also have no clue about these players as people. I wouldn't be shocked to see guys like Adonai Mitchell and Keon Coleman outproducing Ricky.

I know for AD Mitchell we as fans got to read all these reports about how he was a headcase, but if that doesn't turn out to be the case he could explode. 

Oh well. I don't think Ricky will outright bust; I think he's got a floor of being a top 3 WR on an NFL team, but we'll see what happens with his shoulder and what his ceiling can be. 

On a side note, I think it's odd that this shoulder thing is such a big deal. Pretty sure George has been playing with a torn rotator cuff for like the last 5 years and all of a sudden, it's all better after he took some time off due to his core muscle surgery. I would think if it was something like that, he'd be able to rest up and be fine down the road or they could go in and do a surgery and clear up the issue. It's not like this is a Chad Pennington situation where he's going to lose one of his most important tools in his bag due to an injury to his arm. 

3 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Oh, wow. I loved Suamataia but knew he was not ready to start. Are they honestly going to do that? He's athletic enough to handle the job but he isn't savvy enough to be consistent at it. Veteran rushers will likely eat his lunch often. This may be an interesting season for the Chefs.

Everything I've read is saying that he's been adjusting nicely and has already won the job. 

20 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Yeah, I'm still mad that the foot stuff was held until after he was drafted lol. Everyone made it seem like he was good to go before the draft