Your favorite non-Viking games?

y*so*blu

Although there's nothing like seeing the Vikings take care of business on the field, sadly there are times when we have to watch other teams. Teams that regularly give up 30+ points, teams that spiral into a Lovecraftian nightmare when one key player goes down, teams that cause you to wonder why their head coach is still employed in a pro league (such as Jeff Fisher until last year) ... teams that never knew the joy of having the 'Odin' chant, the Williams Wall, or the Purple People Eaters.

This thread is devoted to our favorite games between teams that were decidedly un-Minnesotan.

Green Bay Packers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Week 9, 2009

So let's set the scene, shall we? Green Bay was coming into Raymond James Stadium at 4-3, two of those losses having been inflicted by Brett Favre and the magical '09 Vikings. They had every motivation to play well and win over a ragged 0-7 Bucs squad that had collapsed with the departure of Jon Gruden. They suffered from a dearth of talent at nearly every position and with notable exceptions of a fading Chris Hovan, Jeremy Zuttah, Ronde Barber, and Aquib Talib (hooray ¬¬) most of their players were relative unknowns who would soon disappear from the league. In desperation, new HC Raheem Morris was starting untested rookie QB Josh Freeman.

All sources predicted an easy win for Green Bay. Aaron Rodgers opened up his first series with a 74-yard touchdown pass, but instead of giving up, the Bucs shocked everybody by going out and playing competent football. They blocked a punt that Ronde Barber returned for a touchdown. They picked off Rodgers three times and racked up six sacks. Josh Freeman, despite some obvious rookie mistakes, led his team to a stunning 31-28 lead late in the 4th. The stage was set for one of Rodgers' tiresome game-winning drives; instead he threw his third pick (and, until this season, the only pick-six of his career) to Tanard Jackson, who iced the game 38-28. The old Packers forum exploded in rage during and after the game, calling for Mike McCarthy's head. It would not be the last time.

Tennessee Titans @ Baltimore Ravens, Wild Card, 2003-04

I really don't like the Baltimore Ravens. Maybe because they're from Baltimore, maybe because they blasphemously wear purple, maybe because one of their most beloved and iconic players was a double murderer. Yeah, that might have something to do with it. So I always enjoyed seeing another good team knock them off their perch in a high-profile game, such as this one against the famously tough '03 Tennessee Titans. It was a crazed, brutal defensive struggle featuring a combined five turnovers; Eddie George dislocated his shoulder and later returned to the game. In a dramatic finish, former Vikings kicker Gary Anderson nailed a 46-yard field goal with under a minute left to win 20-17 and end the Ravens' season. I'll never get tired of watching this one.

St. Louis Rams vs. New England Patriots, Super Bowl XXXVI, 2001-02

Super Bowls XXXII, XLIX and LI are also among my favorites, but the story and atmosphere surrounding this one were unique. You had the unabashed patriotism following 9/11, the greatest halftime show in Super Bowl history, and the high-flying super-powered Rams (whom I despised) vs. the underdog Patriots led by some guy named Brady. In a game where St. Louis were favored by double digits, Bill Belichick frustrated the Greatest Show on Turf like no coach had been able to do that season, and the Pats painstakingly built a 17-3 lead in the 3rd quarter. The Rams fought back with two 4th-quarter touchdowns to tie the game, but instead of playing for overtime, Tom Brady led a beautiful drive en route to a 45-yard field goal by Adam Vinatieri. The Patriots won 20-17, laying the first cornerstone of a dynasty that endures to this day.

I'll go back to my earliest memories as a football fan.

There are only a couple of Vikings games that stick out to me for that 1995 season, when I was 8 years old. The games were at Pittsburgh ("floppy sock" game), at San Francisco on MNF and at Cincinnati. I don't remember the entire games, but just flashes of memory.

The Vikings didn't make the playoffs, but I still watched them a bit. I remember the Eagles blowing out the Lions in the wild card game, I remember Jim Harbaugh's failed Hail Mary attempt against Pittsburgh in the NFC Championship, I remember soaking in the NFC Championship betweeen the Packers and Cowboys, and the Super Bowl.

6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I enjoyed the heck out of the Giants and Patriots SB from the 2007 season.

I wanted the Giants to win, but it didn't matter because it was such a fun game to watch.

There have been a lot of interesting Ravens vs Steelers games I've seen over the years.

I agree on Super Bowl XLII.

The Giants were such huge underdogs and the Patriots were trying to get into the history books as an undefeated team.

The best thing about the game was watching Belicheat get out-coached in the biggest game in his coaching career.

The sad part was Randy Moss being part of the 1998 Vikings and the 2007 Patriots, two teams that went 15-1 and 16-0 respectively, and both set the NFL record for points in a season but failed to win it all.

7 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Not if your a Falcons fan. 

Agreed.

And it was marred by some bad officiating. Especially that play with 3:50 left in the game. The Falcons were facing 3rd and 23 but picked up a 9-yard gain that would have put them in FG range at the NE 26, but the play was called back when the Falcons were slapped with a borderline holding call while the Patriots got away with a rather obvious facemask on the tackle.

Definitely the 2014 Championship between Seattle and Green Bay.

I remember the Packers being ahead significantly, and I was sure they would win, I mean after all how hard would it be to make a comeback against a team with Aaron Rodgers as quarterback? I was joking with my dad "Wouldn't it be crazy if Seattle came back and won?" 

It was 19 to 7 in the 4th quarter..Then Wilson threw his FOURTH interception of the day,, giving the Packers the ball at their 43-yard line with just over five minutes left in regulation.  Game over right? However, Seattle's defense made a crucial stand, and gave up TWO timeouts.. Seattle then got the ball back starting on their 31-yard line with 3:52 left. They marched down the field efficiently for once in about 3 big plays and Wilson scored on a 1 yard run- making it 14 to 19. Game over still right? I told my dad "what if they actually got this onside kick? Wouldnt that be crazy?" and sure enough THEY DID. The legendary onside kick that bounced off Bosticks helmet and into a receivers arms. A few plays later Lynch scored on a 24 yard run with 1:25 remaining on the clock to make it 19-20...  they went for the 2-point conversion and Wilson was flushed out of the pocket, ran backwards with absolutely no hope and LOBBED it back across the field  and it fell right into Luke Wilson's arms, who was never supposed to be an option on that play! making it now 19 - 21. Rodgers did his thing though and marched down the field to tie it up with a field goal to bring it into overtime..

Seattle won the toss, and after a few quick big plays, Wilson threw it up to Kearse who was running straight down the middle of the field while TIGHTLY covered by Tramon Williams but still managed to pull ahead of him just enough to make the catch for a 35-yard touchdown reception, beating the Packers and keeping them from going to the Super Bowl.

My dad and I cheered as if the Vikings won a big game. It was absolutely unbelievable.

Archived