Steelers 2024 Training Camp Thread

5 hours ago, 43M said:

If they can find a role that Leal can be effective in, great.    However, its looking more and more like a dud.    This is a make or break season for him, and Im leaning towards the latter.

the role for Leal is either a comdian or a trade.  He's useless here, won't or shouldn't see playing time unless too many injuries allow.  TJ, Alex, Herbig and Golden > leal

and if they play leal as a 5T, then fire the DL coach if he is trying to make that work

5 Up & 5 Down 

Preseason,  so I put an aesteric next to everything (good and bad).

Up

1. Good debut and game start for Payton Wilson. It's preseason,  but he made plays and was for the most part always around the ball. I  like his speed and coverage potential. 

2. Defensive pass rush looked good. Better depth there than I thought. The second and third tier guys got after the QB consistently. 

3. Montravius Adams and DeMarvin Leal showed signs of improvement. They are backups,  but looked better than they have against other backups in the past.

4. Justin Fields didn't play poorly.  The OL didn't help his cause. His passing was pretty accurate despite the pressure he received. 

5. Zach Frazier and Mason Mccormick made a strong debuts. Frazier seemed to solidify the Center & QB exchange problems.  Spencer Anderson and Dylan Cook seemed to help themselves. 

5 Downs

1. Coverage and fielding of punts and kickoff's. Quez and Plumlee looked bad. I get it is new for Plumlee, but I expected Quez to do more as a receiver and potential returner. They look like they are headed to the USFL. Poor Center snap led to a missed EP. Failing OVERALL grade for special teams. F

2. Nate Herbig. I have been high on him since his signing. He is a dawg and has a mean streak, but has not stood out in games. He didn't help himself with two bad Center/QB exchanges. I am not blaming him entirely,  but it did help his cause.  

3. 3rd Down defense. TD pass given up on third down to Stroud and several other drives extended because of poor third down defense.

4. Pass protection from the OT's was poor. Our OL will be a strength,  but they struggled protecting the QB's. 

5. Turnovers. Self inflicted wounds vbury this team. Most gamers that the Steelers lose, they lose the Turnover battle. Four turnovers is never acceptable.  JV performance! 

• Like 2

I look more to individual performances than breakdowns in zone coverage.  Frazier should be #1 center going forward.  The hard thing about Fautanu's injury is that he is missing 2 weeks of  reps that he needs

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

5 Up & 5 Down 

Preseason,  so I put an aesteric next to everything (good and bad).

Up

1. Good debut and game start for Payton Wilson. It's preseason,  but he made plays and was for the most part always around the ball. I  like his speed and coverage potential. 

2. Defensive pass rush looked good. Better depth there than I thought. The second and third tier guys got after the QB consistently. 

3. Montravius Adams and DeMarvin Leal showed signs of improvement. They are backups,  but looked better than they have against other backups in the past.

4. Justin Fields didn't play poorly.  The OL didn't help his cause. His passing was pretty accurate despite the pressure he received. 

5. Zach Frazier and Mason Mccormick made a strong debuts. Frazier seemed to solidify the Center & QB exchange problems.  Spencer Anderson and Dylan Cook seemed to help themselves. 

5 Downs

1. Coverage and fielding of punts and kickoff's. Quez and Plumlee looked bad. I get it is new for Plumlee, but I expected Quez to do more as a receiver and potential returner. They look like they are headed to the USFL. Poor Center snap led to a missed EP. Failing OVERALL grade for special teams. F

2. Nate Herbig. I have been high on him since his signing. He is a dawg and has a mean streak, but has not stood out in games. He didn't help himself with two bad Center/QB exchanges. I am not blaming him entirely,  but it did help his cause.  

3. 3rd Down defense. TD pass given up on third down to Stroud and several other drives extended because of poor third down defense.

4. Pass protection from the OT's was poor. Our OL will be a strength,  but they struggled protecting the QB's. 

5. Turnovers. Self inflicted wounds vbury this team. Most gamers that the Steelers lose, they lose the Turnover battle. Four turnovers is never acceptable.  JV performance! 

I saw a video from someone reviewing those bad exchanges. He said that on the fumbled snaps, the OC was snapping and quickly moving to his left or right to get to his assignment. He zoomed in on the snap and showed how the OC was moving go one side or the other, but the QB kept his hands stationary. So, as the OC moves to his right or left, the QB is supposed to move his hands in that direction to get a clean snap. The QB didn't do that. He also stated that it's either the OC needs to wait to get the snap off before moving or the QB needs to move his hands with him and either way, that needs to be figured out prior to gametime. Not being an OL guru, I'm not sure how accurate that is but it makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

I saw a video from someone reviewing those bad exchanges. He said that on the fumbled snaps, the OC was snapping and quickly moving to his left or right to get to his assignment.

This is why QB and OC work on snaps. They have been working together all preseason and camp. That should not be an issue. Someday much as we used to complain about the poor Shotgun snaps, this was worse. 🤯

He zoomed in on the snap and showed how the OC was moving go one side or the other, but the QB kept his hands stationary.

A tweak thshould have been ironed out in the 100s of practice snaps and the multiple practice and scrimmage reps. I think some may have been game jitters on one or both players.

So, as the OC moves to his right or left, the QB is supposed to move his hands in that direction to get a clean snap. The QB didn't do that.

On one or both, but not a good look. Timing was off in many aspects of the game.

He also stated that it's either the OC needs to wait to get the snap off before moving or the QB needs to move his hands with him and either way, that needs to be figured out prior to gametime. Not being an OL guru, I'm not sure how accurate that is but it makes sense. 

👌🏿👍🏿

4 minutes ago, DR43 said:

Is Beanie Bishop still the favorite to win the nickel corner slot?

I would guess yes for now, but he is really just trying to be serviceable until Sutton returns. They may use CB by committee as well. Ryan Watts played a decent game,  but is too big for an ideal slot. He may press Trice and Rush moreso than Bishop. 

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

The hard thing about Fautanu's injury is that he is missing 2 weeks of  reps that he needs

agree, but it could also help Jones, who can use those reps as well

1 hour ago, DR43 said:

Is Beanie Bishop still the favorite to win the nickel corner slot?

week 9 it won't matter anymore, but maybe for now Beanie has it?  He has been quite a find according to many, Minkah even likes his ethic.  I am waiting for Trice to get out there and win CB2 across from Porter eventually. Should be Sneed across from Porter, but Khan missed out there