Jordan Love extended (4 years, $220M, $75M SB, $155M GTD)

25 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I have less issue with the rest of the 2020 class of QBs getting paid as they have performed for more than a bunch of games and they gave their teams a few cheap years.

Love did not really have control over how quickly he became the starter, so holding that against him is a bit unfair

The point you made 'what was the Packers supposed to do?' Nothing because they had no leverage in this. 

I guess we will just have to view this leverage thing from opposite ends of it.  

They are praying harder than the rest of the teams that signed up 2020 QBs to longer term deals that their QB performs.

why is GB praying harder than LAC, CIN, MIA, PHI?

I accept the deal is what it is but I can't say this was a win-win for both the Packers and Love. Love won this and nothing wrong with that in itself, as a fan and a supporter of the Packers first I think we got done.

Did we have alternative? Nope.

Do I like the deal? Nope

Do I hope that Love plays better than any 2020 QB going forward? Yup

Only other thing I would say should we have done a richer long term deal last year instead of the extension. Seems like the risk would have evened out. Less proven last year but a cheaper deal than this

So you would have wanted GB to sign Love to a longer deal (likely for more money and more guaranteed than what he did get last offseason) with even less of a sample size??   that seems very much like a hindsight statement in knowing how Love performed in 2023 and what this new deal is.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

We really don’t know if Love wasn’t betting on himself last season in terms of the extension. Get offered mid money last year, but have confidence that he’s top tier, why wouldn’t he wait to sign until this year? I just don’t think the discussions really got anywhere last year.

Probably agree with that

Whta do you mean we didnt have leverage? this is exactly what we wanted?

reduce the ints on "have to have it drives" and hes a top 5 QB. Hes top 16 already as long as he continues what hes already doing... which gets you the contract he just got.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 3

As many have suggested, it's really a 3 year extension and then a renegotiation.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Jordan Loves cap hits per Spotrac:

2024: $20,757,731

2025: $29,757,731

2026: $36,157,731

2027: $42,457,731

2028: $74,200,000

2029: $34,700,000 (voided dead cap

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

As many have suggested, it's really a 3 year extension and then a renegotiation.

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

I thought we were told yesterday there were no void years added to this contract? 

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

No drama. If you are being honest with yourself you might acknowledge that this is a lot of pay based on a small sample of productivity and in the back of your mind you are praying he carries on from where he left off. Even though Rodgers always got top dollar there was certainty with what he could deliver. These is a fair amount of hope laddened in this deal.

It's tough to take your posts seriously when you first tell others to be honest with themselves, and then immediately suggest that the decision to extend Love now is based on prayers and hope.

• Like 2

GB had a deliberate strategy with both Rodgers and Love to have them sit for multiple years prior to starting.  Love probably sat a year longer than planned due to the COVID season.  So far, it appears to have paid off for both of them.  Both were very raw as rookies, but were ready to step in towards the end of the rookie deal.  To get to year 5, and then tell them you're not going to pay them because they haven't started enough games sounds like an excellent way to blow up a very good situation.

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

Andy Herman
@AndyHermanNFL

Yeah, as others have noticed in the past basically every big NFL deal is a 3 year deal followed by some nonsense to make the signing bonus cap math work.  

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

why is GB praying harder than LAC, CIN, MIA, PHI?

Because two of those teams with 2020 QBs have gone to the Super Bowl and there is more confidence in play. More proof in the pudding.

It could be argued Love play was combined with Jones play as well...For me there is still questions marks around Love's play. 

You might not feel it but I feel there is more risk to the deal as the sample size is small.

I want to believe Love is the man but if for argument he starts 2024 with a bunch of average games it really puts this deal in doubt.

He has the added pressure of living up to this deal and I just felt this deal came too soon for him. But we had no choice and his agents did a great job.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

It's tough to take your posts seriously when you first tell others to be honest with themselves, and then immediately suggest that the decision to extend Love now is based on prayers and hope.

Tough to take your posts seriously if you are so blinkered!

As fans do we know who Burrow is? Do we know who Tua is? Do we know who Herbert is? Do we know who Hurts is? I think we have a very fair sense of them as QBs, their pros and cons.

Do we know who Love is? I can't say we do to the same level of certainty. From a positive perspective we hope what we saw last year was him just scratching the surface. But I don't think anyone can confidently say who is Jordan Love at this stage.

The contract I would have felt was fair and better would have been that the 2026 and 2027 roster bonuses of $39.5m and $31.5m had not been fully guaranteed at signing. Giving him over $150m guaranteed is rich and where i felt his agents won. 

There is no out with Love is the milk turns sour and a huge commitment based on an uncertainty of who he is.

As I said before did we have a choice? Nope

Are we glad he is under contract and our guy for the next few years? Yup

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

As fans do we know who Burrow is? Do we know who Tua is? Do we know who Herbert is? Do we know who Hurts is? I think we have a very fair sense of them as QBs, their pros and cons.

Do we know who Love is? I can't say we do to the same level of certainty. From a positive perspective we hope what we saw last year was him just scratching the surface. But I don't think anyone can confidently say who is Jordan Love at this stage.

The contract I would have felt was fair and better would have been that the 2026 and 2027 roster bonuses of $39.5m and $31.5m had not been fully guaranteed at signing. Giving him over $150m guaranteed is rich and where i felt his agents won. 

There is no out with Love is the milk turns sour and a huge commitment based on an uncertainty of who he is.

The things love does at a very high level arent the kind of things that should have any reason to regress. The guy knows how to identify defenses, set coverages, and pick routes that win. He can really spin it off of a lot of platforms. Its not like he was having screens go the distance.

Footwork only getting better. Offensive cohesion only getting better. Defense going to get him the ball more and protect leads better. 

He looks bigger and leaner than ever. Would not be surprised to see his legs working a little better this year. 

4 title shots is awesome. Great time to be a packers fan.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

The things love does at a very high level arent the kind of things that should have any reason to regress. The guy knows how to identify defenses, set coverages, and pick routes that win. He can really spin it off of a lot of platforms. Its not like he was having screens go the distance.

Footwork only getting better. Offensive cohesion only getting better. Defense going to get him the ball more and protect leads better. 

He looks bigger and leaner than ever. Would not be surprised to see his legs working a little better this year. 

4 title shots is awesome. Great time to be a packers fan.

I agree. I hope it continues.

To be happy to have Love under contract for the future and not to love the contract are not mutually exclusive positions to take 

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

I'm on the same side of the Atlantic as @Brit Pack but the opposite side on the projection.

My thinking (call it belief, if you prefer) is that the league in general hasn't really caught up to just how good this team can be with Love at the helm. I've seen the Packers sitting outside the top 10 when talking about receiver quality and outside the top 10 again when ranked among all teams. If Hafley gets this defense working as I think (hope) he can, the Packers are a top 5 team, maybe as high as top 3.

My only concern really, was one voiced by @MacReady about the percentage of the cap that Love is taking up, not Love himself. The higher the percentage that Love's contract costs, the tougher it is to put a quality team around him. The Packers either have to continue to go young and lose several good players when 2nd contracts are due, or massage the cap so they enter a boom/bust cycle of pushing cap costs into the future, then busting as they have to pay the cap cost later. Also, the 'go-young' strategy only works when you are making very good choices in future drafts - if that fails, the team slides downward.

Still, it wasn't as if the Packers had much choice. We all knew Jordan was getting a very big contract, its what the league is at this time. This season will be the most anticipated one (by me) as any season I can remember since I first chose the Packers to follow, in 1988/1989.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

16 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I'm on the same side of the Atlantic as @Brit Pack but the opposite side on the projection.

Where have I ever said that I project Love to be a bad QB?

I just don't think the contract he got was based on performance but more projection which makes me a little uncomfortable. I just wished we had less guarantee money tied up with him cos IF he doesn't carry on as projected we could cut bait easily