Jordan Love extended (4 years, $220M, $75M SB, $155M GTD)

4 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Because two of those teams with 2020 QBs have gone to the Super Bowl and there is more confidence in play. More proof in the pudding.

Those teams went to the superbowl with the QB on a rookie deal.  Once the contract extension, proving they can get back when the cap hits have changed is a different proof in the pudding.  Both Burrow and Hurts have bigger injury histories than Love, but feel free to exclude that in your risk assessment

It could be argued Love play was combined with Jones play as well...For me there is still questions marks around Love's play. 

You might not feel it but I feel there is more risk to the deal as the sample size is small.

I want to believe Love is the man but if for argument he starts 2024 with a bunch of average games it really puts this deal in doubt.

He has the added pressure of living up to this deal and I just felt this deal came too soon for him. But we had no choice and his agents did a great job.

You seem to compare to different things with the QB contracts.  If you look at Love and Hurts contracts, each have guarantees that trigger a year or so out from that time....but you seem hung up on the "guaranteed at signing" which is

Love $100M

Hurts $110M

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

The contract I would have felt was fair and better would have been that the 2026 and 2027 roster bonuses of $39.5m and $31.5m had not been fully guaranteed at signing. Giving him over $150m guaranteed is rich and where i felt his agents won. 

Those bonus are not full guaranteed at signing.

CONTRACT NOTES

• $100.8M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2024 salary + 2025 salary +$10.4M of 2026 salary)
  • Additional $39.5M of 2026 salary fully guarantees the 5th league day of 2025 (injury guaranteed at sign)
  • $20M of 2027 compensation fully guarantees the 5th league day of 2026 (injury guaranteed at sign)
  • 2026 Option Bonus: $39.5M
  • 2027 Option Bonus: $31.5M
  • Annual Pro Bowl Escalator: $250,000
  • 2028 Pro Bowl Bonus: $250,000

12 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Jordan Loves cap hits per Spotrac:

2024: $20.8M, 2025: $29.8M, 2026: $36.8M, 2027: $42.5M, 2028: $74.2M, 2029: $34.7 (void)

If Spotrac has this correct, GB now has 4 shots with Love at very reasonable cap numbers, followed by a renegotiation.   GB was bent over and forced to overpay!

Tough to take your posts seriously if you are so blinkered!

As fans do we know who Burrow is? Do we know who Tua is? Do we know who Herbert is? Do we know who Hurts is? I think we have a very fair sense of them as QBs, their pros and cons.

Yes, we know Love is better than Tua, Herbert and Hurts. Burrow hasn't been available for two of his five years basically. 

I think we have to trust the process Green Bay has in place when it comes to selecting and developing Hall of Fame quarterbacks. 

36 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

If I am keeping score correctly, Brit Pack would have retained Barry at DC and would be playing hardball with Love.

To be fair, the Barry thing was due to how nice Barry was to him in the London game. I think deep down, he knew Barry had to go. 

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

To be fair, the Barry thing was due to how nice Barry was to him in the London game. I think deep down, he knew Barry had to go. 

You mean if he is being honest with himself?

• Like 1

Looking at those contract numbers, it seems fair to say that Love and his agents wanted to remove the franchise tag from the equation.  There's no way he's on this same deal in 2028.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

You mean if he is being honest with himself?

We all let emotions get in the way of judgement sometimes. When it comes to being a GM, you have to remove those emotions. We're just fans, we have no such restraint. 

• Like 1

I just wished we had less guarantee money tied up with him cos IF he doesn't carry on as projected we could cut bait easily

If it makes you feel any better about it the guaranteed money isn't even in the top 10 most for a QB.

• Like 2

I agree. I hope it continues.

To be happy to have Love under contract for the future and not to love the contract are not mutually exclusive positions to take 

Sometimes doing business the right way means taking care of your people who go about their business the right way. When you believe in their character you dont need to worry about things turning sour if you keep them happy. If you understand what makes them happy (because you listen to them) that is possible. 

This sends a good message to the other 52 on the roster that GB takes care of those who are productive enough to increase SB odds. 

Edited by HokieHigh

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

If Spotrac has this correct, GB now has 4 shots with Love at very reasonable cap numbers, followed by a renegotiation.   GB was bent over and forced to overpay!

Yeah .. looked to me like Love's percent of cap is pretty reasonable for years to come. That final year is blown way up, so some decisions will need to be made, but that several seasons out.  We're good!

Edited by {Family Ghost}

So, this contract doesn't mean anything at all until it costs the team free agents.  We won't have to make any real tough decisions until 2026 offseason when the 2022 class becomes free agents. There will be a little bit of a squeeze, but that is also projecting paying Watson, Rhyan, Doubs, Tom, and Rasheed Walker starting level second contracts.  The Packers have almost 67 million to use in 2026 to retain these players.

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

So, this contract doesn't mean anything at all until it costs the team free agents.  We won't have to make any real tough decisions until 2026 offseason when the 2022 class becomes free agents. There will be a little bit of a squeeze, but that is also projecting paying Watson, Rhyan, Doubs, Tom, and Rasheed Walker starting level second contracts.  The Packers have almost 67 million to use in 2026 to retain these players.

That is always going to be the case with every team that has to pay a quarterback top money. BTW, it is also the case with teams paying WRs over 30 a year. Every big contract effects guys teams are wanting to sign after that contract. 

If I'm going to spend the money, it's on a franchise QB. IF, BIG IF, Gute could grab two more WRs next year that could play, it would be harsh, but I'd be OK with allowing them all to walk when their rookie deal is up if they require more than 20 a year. 

WRs seem like a dime a dozen compared to topflight QBs. 

Edited by Old Guy