2024 Preseason GDT Week #2 Steelers vs. Bills

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I remember getting all worked up last preseason over the state of the offense, so well.....eh. Not really caring much.

Exactly.  You hate to see the mental breakdowns and poor technique, but this is the time to screw up.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Exactly.  You hate to see the mental breakdowns and poor technique, but this is the time to screw up.

We had years under Ben where the offense looked meh in the preseason.    Not that I expect much from this offense, but I am not going sweat it right now.

As I said, even if this offense has ANY potential of being decent, we may not see it until after the first month.

-Completely new OC and offense

-All new QB room (not a particularly exciting one, though)

-ANOTHER completely retooled and extremely young offensive line that will still need work this year and probably into next.

-Major uncertainty at WR and who will step up behind Pickens.

• Like 3

I dunno, it could be a longer season than most Steelers fans have ever really experienced. 

Hope they get there ____ together but Russ throwing short balls etc didn't give me much hope. I've said all along if this team is going to succeed in any way it is going to be on the back of one of these QBs stepping up far more than expected. In other words they very much could / should be a 7 win team if everything is average with that schedule. Now if they had Atlantas schedule maybe a much better win projection story. Sad thing could be that we are looked at as an "winnable" game this season. 

That already calculated for a young imperfect Oline etc. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty

So, I got tickets to this fame, took my son to his first game and here were some observations I had.

Nick Herbig is a beast.

Fields is a good QB, making a case for why he should start and looked really good tonight, albeit he had a couple passes that should've been picked off. 

The pre snap penalties gotta stop 

Perine, I think he makes the roster, he has got some burst, had a decent amount of good runs when given the opportunity.  

We NEED another legit WR.

Our 3rd string defense....well....it's 3rd string for a reason.

The O-line was not good today.

Bit of a worry that even with upgraded talent we're still not getting the push we need in the run game, nor proper technique in pass protection.

I've never been a huge fan of Meyer, but If they continue to underperform he has to be held responsible.

I'm not panicking, it's pre-season, but technique and focus hasn't been a strength for a bit now.

3 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I dunno, it could be a longer season than most Steelers fans have ever really experienced. 

Hope they get there ____ together but Russ throwing short balls etc didn't give me much hope. I've said all along if this team is going to succeed in any way it is going to be on the back of one of these QBs stepping up far more than expected. In other words they very much could / should be a 7 win team if everything is average with that schedule. Now if they had Atlantas schedule maybe a much better win projection story. Sad thing could be that we are looked at as an "winnable" game this season. 

We've needed a losing season for awhile now.    These middling, overachieving seasons do nothing except give people a false sense of security about how far away this team is and protects certain jobs that have no business being safe.   And it deprives us of opportunities for top shelf talent this team desperately needs.

This team has been a .500 team at best for the last few years, but we always squeak past it.    I would be perfectly fine with a 5 win season.   Maybe then we could be in range for top end talent and start holding certain people accountable for their failures.

As usual, though, I expect this team will manage 7 to 9 wins....wash, rinse, repeat.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

just a side and I think SD were the ones that had it: We took more PA snaps and 20+ yard shots in preseason week 1 2024 than the entire 2023 preseason combined. 

• Like 1