Preseason Game 2 @ Denver Broncos

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

If this were golf and a - was good, Newman would be leading the tournament. 

Assume he doesn't make your 53 at this point? 

Not with the money hes making. Telfort has outplayed him and Dillard has played guard before. Telfort obviously has a hold on 4th tackle but is that important enough to keep him over your draft pick? Cut down day will be interesting to see if they want the best players today or maybe in the future.

yeah i wouldnt expect Newman to make it at this point. But maybe the staff just wants a backup that knows the assignments

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

The Packers should pursue him when  he gets put on the PS, then get rid of Clifford or Pratt and put the other one on the PS.  Heineke has some experience, he'd be a decent backup.

Might be a bit too late if you do that cuz last article I saw said they were in talks with TB about a trade deal.  Not that he would get any significant playing time there or be a factor backing up Mayfield, but now I almost selfishly want to jump in the middle of that trade deal just because I still feel like we're at least taking one toy away from the Bucs.

On 8/18/2024 at 9:33 PM, Old Guy said:

It's ******* Denver! They are near the bottom of the league. Our offensive line depth after six, is brutal. 

Denver won 8 games last season, including a win over GB.  They are a QB away from being a pretty good team.

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Denver won 8 games last season, including a win over GB.  They are a QB away from being a pretty good team.

People forget that before the disastrous Russell Wilson trade, Denver was the poster child for "they're a QB away from being a SB contender" and even though the years since have not gone well, it's still possible that's true if it turns out, in retrospect, Russ is no longer a starting calibre QB.

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

People forget that before the disastrous Russell Wilson trade, Denver was the poster child for "they're a QB away from being a SB contender" and even though the years since have not gone well, it's still possible that's true if it turns out, in retrospect, Russ is no longer a starting calibre QB.

I think the bloom was already off the rose by the time Russell Wilson arrived but he certainly didn't help.

If we want a team that is a QB away from greatness I'd point to the current Raiders.

Yeah I was next to the endzone for 39 dollars. It's really not that useful to be there, and Lafleur clearly valued the practice over the game - that sold out like hotcakes to season ticket holders (as in Broncos), which I am not. Oladipo caught my eye, but that's pretty much all that happened. I will say that the stadium was loud, even if not very full, and that probably has utility. 

With the broncos its crazy to me that they didn't hire McDaniels after Hackett. Payton is McCarthy, and Mac in my eyes has done more. McDaniels grew up a stones throw from Mile High stadium, and loves the Broncos, loves Elway, just unbelievable they didn't see the potential in that.

9 hours ago, oldmansmell said:

With the broncos its crazy to me that they didn't hire McDaniels after Hackett. Payton is McCarthy, and Mac in my eyes has done more. McDaniels grew up a stones throw from Mile High stadium, and loves the Broncos, loves Elway, just unbelievable they didn't see the potential in that.

McDaniels was Denver's head coach in 2009-2010 and he failed miserably. They fired him during the season of 2010. 

Also, he was the coach of the Raiders when Hackett was fired. 

If you were referring to Mike McDaniel, no s, he was under contract with Miami and no chance they were going to give Denver permission. 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

It's tough to say.  Yeah that Russell Wilson trade coupled with Hackett's bad coaching likely sunk their chances, and hence Payton is currently cleaning up the mess.

Thing is it doesn't really matter whether Denver is in the mix to be a contender this year or not, in preseason teams are usually equalized especially when you get beyond the starters and into the guys trying to get on the team.  Plus different teams are going to have different objectives they want to see in games, so that's why you don't try and power rank a team based off of preseason play.

Pretty sure with our approach this last game even the awful Patriots or Panthers could have done what Denver did.

Edited by LLcheesehead12

On 8/21/2024 at 8:06 AM, Old Guy said:

McDaniels was Denver's head coach in 2009-2010 and he failed miserably. They fired him during the season of 2010. 

Also, he was the coach of the Raiders when Hackett was fired. 

If you were referring to Mike McDaniel, no s, he was under contract with Miami and no chance they were going to give Denver permission. 

When they hired Hackett tbc. And yes Mike McDaniel. It's his dream job, I've talked to him about it. I'm from Denver, and was drunk writing that. He was still the San Fran running game coordinator at the time. 

7 hours ago, oldmansmell said:

When they hired Hackett tbc. And yes Mike McDaniel. It's his dream job, I've talked to him about it. I'm from Denver, and was drunk writing that. He was still the San Fran running game coordinator at the time. 

DEN hired Hackett because they wanted Rodgers.  Pretty simple really.