GDT Preseason Week 2- Browns vs Vikings Backup Bowl

candyman93

12 minutes ago, Here'sJim said:

I'm not familiar with how the legal system within Lorain County operates, but I've seen stuff in my jurisdiction get dismissed when the victim recants even if there is another witness willing to testify. Juries get pissed when the victim doesn't want the crime prosecuted, and this can lead to not guilty verdicts even if the evidence suggests otherwise. Unless there is video evidence, a recanting victim is a huge issue.

Thanks for heads up.

14 hours ago, candyman93 said:

2nd week in a row where nobody looks good.

Almost none of these guys will make the final 53, but it’s concerning to say the least.

The past two drafts for the Browns have been kind of questionable, but then again the did not have a 1st round pick in either of those drafts and in 2023 they did not have a 1st or a 2nd rounder.  Heck even the 2022 draft they did not have a 1st or 2nd rounder, but did bring in potential star in Martin Emerson in the 3rd and got David Bell in the 3th and Jerome Ford in the 5th.  

Dawand Jones I like his upside and potential as a developmental RT, and when healthy he and Hudson make two of the better developmental OTs in the NFL.  Dawand did not play against Minnesota did he?  Their OL is solid but a lot of those guys always get hurt.  When healthy Bitonio, Teller and Conklin are all some of the best at their positions but Conklin gets hurt a ton.  Center is a problem but Pocic might be ok, Zinter I feel has potential long term though at guard.

Their QB room is odd with Watson who with his off the field past has zero leadership character and it shows in how guys respond on the field.  Winston being brought in is odd but cheap I am sure. DTR looks good at times but why bring in Huntley and Winston if DTR is the guy.  Not sure why they do not play Dorian more to see what he is like and give him more reps.  

RB is the real problem, no 3nd RB if Chubb gets hurt again and that is odd they have not found one since they are so easy to draft and find even with UDFA guys.  Jerome Ford was good last year so clearly they are fine with just him instead of adding some more.  I guess Foreman could be that 3rd guy but sure they could have got a quality UDFA cheaper than him at RB.

Welch seems promising at TE but he is most likely going to be on the practice squad, Ricci was decent and might be a good HB type or TE type.

Hard to look good though when Chubb is coming off a major injury, Conklin seems to always be hurt, Njoku is hurt, Cooper just got hurt.  On defense though JOK is an outstanding player, Jordan Hicks was great for the Vikings last year and if he can stay healthy will be an improvement for them at ILB.  I thought Bush in this preseason game looked good and he is promising as the third LB.  Tony Fields was not out there but he has some speed, Nathaniel Watson I like at ILB and he is hurt and did not play.  Diabate is not bad at LB either.  

They got tons of pressure in this one, what 13 QB hits and 5 sacks, Isaiah Thomas is developing well and they have a lot of other talent.  Sadly for them Hall is their most promising young DT but who knows if he is on the roster after the legal stuff comes down on him.  I am surprised Ika has not been a better player but he still has time.  If their starting DL can stay healthy they will be very good and obviously they have the best pass rusher in the NFL also and the best secondary in terms of every starter in the NFL also.

Myles Harden I like some that he has shown, curious why they are playing Tony Brown II that much, I thought Cam Mitchell would be better also at backup CB but assuming no big guys get hurt should not be a problem.   But Denzel Ward always gets hurt and misses a few games so that is an issue that will have to be addressed.

They are a top 10 roster in the NFL but not as good as they used to be.  And ultimately it comes down to can Deshaun Watson lead and win games in this league anymore?  Played in 6 games a year the last two years, can he even physically hold up, maybe that is the issue.  Looking at Baker Mayfield and what he has done in Tampa, at least his teammates respect and follow him, not sure I would if I was Watson's teammate honestly.  So that is odd, especially with a fine GM like Berry and HC like Stefanski to be lead on the field by Deshaun Watson?  It does not make sense, they probably should have kept Baker despite being a less talented QB, because as of right now Watson does not have the magic he used to and sure some of that is injuries but some of it is the fact of what came to light about his life obviously.  That has altered him forever and not sure that he will ever lead them to actual playoff wins despite having the best secondary in the NFL and the best pass rusher and when healthy one of the deeper receiver cores in the league.  And if all the star players keep getting hurt no one can overcome that.

• Like 1

You’re spot on regarding the drafts. Berry struggles badly drafting offensive guys. He absolutely kills it with defensive players, especially CBs.

Our offense is going to be very ugly the next 1-2 years if Watson doesn’t show out.

2022 draft: Berry lucked out with MJ Emerson, who will become a face of our defense soon. I have high hopes for Alex Wright (really came on strong to end the year). The rest of the dudes will be cut or not extended.

2023 draft: Absolutely love what Dawand Jones showed last year, but he’s gotta lose weight. Isaiah McGuire can develop into a rotational guy as well. Everyone else will probably be cut or not extended (Cam Mitchell might stick).

2024 draft: Controversial, but Michael Hall has been good in camp and has flashed pass rushing ability. If he’s not a complete idiot, he could start next year. Zack Zinter could absolutely start 1 day and I think that’s the plan with him. The other dudes, I have no idea.

15 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

You’re spot on regarding the drafts. Berry struggles badly drafting offensive guys. He absolutely kills it with defensive players, especially CBs.

Our offense is going to be very ugly the next 1-2 years if Watson doesn’t show out.

2022 draft: Berry lucked out with MJ Emerson, who will become a face of our defense soon. I have high hopes for Alex Wright (really came on strong to end the year). The rest of the dudes will be cut or not extended.

2023 draft: Absolutely love what Dawand Jones showed last year, but he’s gotta lose weight. Isaiah McGuire can develop into a rotational guy as well. Everyone else will probably be cut or not extended (Cam Mitchell might stick).

2024 draft: Controversial, but Michael Hall has been good in camp and has flashed pass rushing ability. If he’s not a complete idiot, he could start next year. Zack Zinter could absolutely start 1 day and I think that’s the plan with him. The other dudes, I have no idea.

Not having draft picks was directly a result of getting Deshaun Watson.  Crazy to think but now look at the Texans who are arguably a top 5 roster in the NFL and a better roster than Cleveland and a lot of it was because of those added draft picks and they hit on those draft picks.  No question in my mind who is in the better situation, Texans with CJ Stroud young and going forward or Browns with Watson and that crazy contract...

Emerson I agree is a super star, Alex Wright I like a lot as well as a developmental DE.  McGuire could be that but doubt he will ever become something great but is ok.  Dawand Jones I agree he is a super talented player and they totally stole him in the 4th round.  I was surprised he was not a late 1st or 2nd round pick.

I am surprised Cedric Tillman has not done more but I assume he has had some injury issues.  Zinter for sure in a year or two could be a starter no question, if he never got hurt he could have been a 2nd round pick or late 1st.  Hall no doubt looks decent, got decent pressure against Minnesota in that game but still if what that police report said is true to what happened, he has no place in the NFL and should be in prison, think about the times he was not caught and did similar things, cannot imagine this was the only time in his life anything like this ever happened.  

But yeah on paper they need a young developmental pass rushing DT and Hall is that, flashed big time pass rush potential in college but never really took his game to that next level, I guess now one knows a little as to why.  

They totally went all in on Watson and sure at the time that sounds like a good idea but considering his off the field issues which were massive even at the time of that trade, curious why they made such a move.  It would be another thing if Watson did not have the off the field stuff but he did at pretty much the same time.  With how well they draft typically, draft picks clearly mean a lot.  Just not sure they will ever be able to dig out of that hole getting Watson has put them in.  

15 hours ago, Here'sJim said:

I'm not familiar with how the legal system within Lorain County operates, but I've seen stuff in my jurisdiction get dismissed when the victim recants even if there is another witness willing to testify. Juries get pissed when the victim doesn't want the crime prosecuted, and this can lead to not guilty verdicts even if the evidence suggests otherwise. Unless there is video evidence, a recanting victim is a huge issue.

"New statement given by victim in Browns’ Michael Hall Jr. domestic violence case"   "The(news team) requested a copy of the new statement but was told until Hall has his next court day the statement is considered evidence. Hall is due back in court on September 10."

What would you assume is in that new statement given?  You think she recanted the story?  Apparently gave it Friday this week.

Trust me, I’ll be the first to admit-

Berry is extremely lucky he’s hit on some later rounds guys or that Watson deal would be the worst disaster in any teams history.

I’m just curious what our long term direction is. We could become how the Ravens + Steelers were for a long time. Very physical, elite defense, excellent special teams, and a disaster at QB (early Big Ben). 

On 8/17/2024 at 10:59 PM, MWil23 said:

Go away

Fans are allowed to be annoyed that predators & domestic abusers like Deshaun Watson and Michael Hall Jr. are on the field.

Edited by viking

2 minutes ago, viking said:

Fans are allowed to be annoyed that predators & domestic abusers like Deshaun Watson and Michael Hall Jr. are on the field.

We all are. Outsiders who come in guns blazing to be critical aren’t welcome. 

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

We all are. Outsiders who come in guns blazing to be critical aren’t welcome. 

Nice

how goes my friend 

looks like the depth is down from last year

though are 3rd round pick will replace Bitioni.

2 hours ago, mtmmike said:

Nice

how goes my friend 

looks like the depth is down from last year

though are 3rd round pick will replace Bitioni.

Mice how are your Bucs doing this 200w.gif?cid=6c09b952qk0rgbox6jrobio6w0syear?

15 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Mice how are your Bucs doing this 200w.gif?cid=6c09b952qk0rgbox6jrobio6w0syear?

Best cartoon of the year.

just a note there rookie crop looks excellent 

that returns a defense that surrendered only 19 points per game that is there defense is closer to the ravens then us.