AP names Gardner Minshew starting QB

NYRaider

9 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

He can win us games

I don't see this QB room winning us games. I think our team build is a very strong D, physical run game and conservative passing game aimed not to turnover the ball.

He may make some wow plays with his legs to keep us in games, but his accuracy and history of taking unnecessary sacks will keep us out of a lot too.

I think we'll win 6-7 games with him at the helm personally.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't see this QB room winning us games. I think our team build is a very strong D, physical run game and conservative passing game aimed not to turnover the ball.

He may make some wow plays with his legs to keep us in games, but his accuracy and history of taking unnecessary sacks will keep us out of a lot too.

I'm here also. None of our QB's are going to put this team on their shoulders and pull out wins when the teams needs it. Thus, by definition, the QB won't be the one winning us games. 

I CAN see either QB we have playing decent enough to not screw up our chances at winning games most of the time. But I agree it's going to be on our playmakers and defense to get those big plays that help us get the W.  I don't see us winning more than 8-9 games as a ceiling. Most likely we'll be near the .500 mark. That's a very typical performance for good rosters without a franchise QB.  

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You're making this up. and you know it. You're saying Irsay told them not only you have to draft AR, you need to start him day 1 too? An owner who's mostly known for letting his coaches, coach?

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-owner-jim-irsay-advocates-for-early-usage-of-qb-anthony-richardson-he-has-#:~:text=Indianapolis took a big chance,for it to pay dividends.

Jim Irsay on the pat McAfee show

”So, for Anthony Richardson, it's going to be tough. We know that. But he has to play to get better. I mean, there's no question. Gardner (Minshew) could come out and play better early on, him just being a veteran, but we have to get Anthony on the field. And that's (head coach) Shane (Steichen's) call when he decides to do it."

43 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

But jmd impressed you? Lol Who did jmd hire as oc? And why were you ok with and supported that for almost 2 yrs?….was it cause your guy jmd would be calling the plays?

That’s ironic cause Jmdz was my worst fear since day 1. They ran a straight old skoo sabotage job that would make the beastie boys blush on this franchise just like I said they would. 

No. And I wasn't a fan of his hire either. I didn't support anything other giving the guy his shot as he was under contract. And yes, thought maybe he had some play calling ability given his longevity and work with Mac his rookie season. 

Bottom line, since Mark became the owner he has failed miserably to secure a HC. I've not been a fan of a single one of his hires. Of them, AP seems like a "caught in the moment" type who has a limited ceiling.

12 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-owner-jim-irsay-advocates-for-early-usage-of-qb-anthony-richardson-he-has-#:~:text=Indianapolis took a big chance,for it to pay dividends.

Jim Irsay on the pat McAfee show

”So, for Anthony Richardson, it's going to be tough. We know that. But he has to play to get better. I mean, there's no question. Gardner (Minshew) could come out and play better early on, him just being a veteran, but we have to get Anthony on the field. And that's (head coach) Shane (Steichen's) call when he decides to do it."

You played yourself man It's right there in the quote.... it's the coaches call. Steichen's could have started Minshew but went with AR. Minshew was brought with him from Philly to be a backup. He was never brought to be a starter. 

40 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You played yourself man It's right there in the quote.... it's the coaches call. Steichen's could have started Minshew but went with AR. Minshew was brought with him from Philly to be a backup. He was never brought to be a starter. 

You actually believe that line “it’s the coaches decision” Then why would he say AR gotta play early 😂

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

No. And I wasn't a fan of his hire either. I didn't support anything other giving the guy his shot as he was under contract. And yes, thought maybe he had some play calling ability given his longevity and work with Mac his rookie season. 

Bottom line, since Mark became the owner he has failed miserably to secure a HC. I've not been a fan of a single one of his hires. Of them, AP seems like a "caught in the moment" type who has a limited ceiling.

Meh I see it as

ap upgrade over jmd 

gardner upgrade over jimmy/ aoc

getsy upgrade over Lombardi

• Like 2

I'm a little worried about our offense this year. I was hoping AOC would look a lot better after a full offseason and 1st team reps but he still looked the exact same in preseason. Statue back there.

Minshew to me is like another rendition of Bruce Gradkowski for us. He'll make some magical moments that will keep us happy temporarily but not really good enough to get us in the playoffs. He's never had the skill position players we have though so who knows. I'm keeping expectations low so I'm not disappointed like always haha.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RaisinBran said:

I'm a little worried about our offense this year. I was hoping AOC would look a lot better after a full offseason and 1st team reps but he still looked the exact same in preseason. Statue back there.

Minshew to me is like another rendition of Bruce Gradkowski for us. He'll make some magical moments that will keep us happy temporarily but not really good enough to get us in the playoffs. He's never had the skill position players we have though so who knows. I'm keeping expectations low so I'm not disappointed like always haha.

Looks like we are hoping for a middle of the pack style Gannon with Minshew and a middle of the pack style Brady with O'Connell.  I think AOC has a higher ceiling over the next couple years but Minshew a higher ceiling today.  With AP not being in a rock solid position I understand the decision but I believe we are in a better position next year and moving forward by getting AOC the reps.  If MInshew can play as well as he did last year we should be in the playoffs.  I always forget that he only started 13 games last year.  I have my fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh I see it as

ap upgrade over jmd 

gardner upgrade over jimmy/ aoc

getsy upgrade over Lombardi

That’s a great point. We upgraded across the team 

Wilkins upgrade over Nichols

Jones upgrade over Peters

Bowers upgrade over Hooper

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Minshew 4th Numbers were very good last season 

He just has to steer the ship and not make mistakes 

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

You actually believe that line “it’s the coaches decision” Then why would he say AR gotta play early 😂

Yes, because Jim Irsay isn't a meddling owner. And Minshew is not a starting caliber QB. 

You said Steichen brought Minshew to start and the owner wanted AR. Neither thing is true. Steichen wasn't going to pin his head coaching career on Minshew starting. Neither will AP when he can finally draft one. 

• Like 1