AP names Gardner Minshew starting QB

NYRaider

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Ironic that this was the discourse, and since he's producing, people are getting froggy as if anyone said he sucked, isn't it? 

The inverse would be him not producing, at which point the biggest supporters of the pick would probably be as quiet as church mice. 

Nah it's not about that someone said that Bowers sucked. There's one particular poster here, that is whining about value all the time. And then when asked, if he ever watched him play or who he rather drafted, he answers something like
"oh my time is too value to watch college football - I rather make money"
That's how you get salty comments in here.

• Like 6

Just now, Styrian Raider said:

Nah it's not about that someone said that Bowers sucked. There's one particular poster here, that is whining about value all the time. And then when asked, if he ever watched him play or who he rather drafted, he answers something like
"oh my time is too value to watch college football - I rather make money"
That's how you get salty comments in here.

I would say this has very little correlation with earning too. I publish papers, see patients and love to find time to watch the NFL and some CFB. No one is too good for a hobby/passion IMHO.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Ironic that this was the discourse, and since he's producing, people are getting froggy as if anyone said he sucked, isn't it? 

The inverse would be him not producing, at which point the biggest supporters of the pick would probably be as quiet as church mice. 

The inverse is we all knew he was going to produce. He's been producing since he was a freshman and put up arguably the best career of a TE in college football history. There was no doubt he would be productive. 

We're seeing him produce with a suspect OC, Oline and QB. What's that production look like going forward as these things improve?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Imagine being so salty that Bowers is producing early. Weird man

Vindication is the name of the game around here. 

You didn't have to be more than a casual NCAAF fan to know how incredibly talented he is. Best player on the best team, nationally televised every week and deep playoff runs so people had every opportunity to see him then. If you missed any/all of it, shame on you. But it didn't take a draft guru to see how immensely talented Bowers was in college and how it could easily translate to the pros. Any Georgia fan would have said he was the best offensive player they've had in years, maybe since AJ Green. Well he's living up to the hype, and even earlier than I expected.

But this was the one sure thing Telesco brought to the table. A track record of nailing 1st round picks. And he did it again.

It's too early to say, but having all the QBs go early may have made our decision easy. And all rookie QBs are struggling out the gate or not on the field. But regardless of that, Bowers the matchup nightmare has arrived.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, justwinbaby81 said:

Vindication is the name of the game around here. 

You didn't have to be more than a casual NCAAF fan to know how incredibly talented he is. Best player on the best team, nationally televised every week and deep playoff runs so people had every opportunity to see him then. If you missed any/all of it, shame on you. But it didn't take a draft guru to see how immensely talented Bowers was in college and how it could easily translate to the pros. Any Georgia fan would have said he was the best offensive player they've had in years, maybe since AJ Green. Well he's living up to the hype, and even earlier than I expected.

But this was the one sure thing Telesco brought to the table. A track record of nailing 1st round picks. And he did it again.

It's too early to say, but having all the QBs go early may have made our decision easy. And all rookie QBs are struggling out the gate or not on the field. But regardless of that, Bowers the matchup nightmare has arrived.

Telesco will take the best player available, which has worked in his favor in round 1 over the years. Even Johnson is looking improved with coaches that know how to use him (2 TDs Sunday). 

Regarding QB - this is a good reminder to not overreact and force it. Seeing more and more of that in the draft. The Raiders are well outfitted to support a young QB when the right one comes along and being smart with picks like Bowers is part of that. 

• Like 2

Like I've said it every month since we've drafted him I don't even see the point in arguing whether or not Bowers is a good pick.

As far as Minshew is concerned(given the title of this thread), I mentioned this last week but besides the stupid turnover that really was a benchable offense I do think he did play well he just wasn't allowed to really cut loose because they were making him into a game manager that he wasn't(which is my theory on why he looked comparable to Aiden O'Connell during training camp competition) with that being said I thought he was able to cut loose this week because it appeared that Pierce abandoned the game plan and just let him do whatever he thought was right. 

The thing about Minshew is everybody makes them out to be this crazy turnover machine but he's never thrown double digit interceptions in a season. It's also important to recognize that he's never been given a chance to be the full-time starter from week one besides his second year in the league when he had the worst roster in the NFL and got hurt during that time. His stats were not even that bad that year. The reason why the narrative seems to be that he's automatically back up is simply due to the fact that the Jaguars drafted Trevor Lawrence and traded him to a team that already had a starting quarterback. Right now he is second in the NFL in passing yards(despite being used to like a game manager for six out of the 8 quarters that he played this season. Do I think he has a franchise quarterback? No but I don't think he's back up level either. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Telesco will take the best player available, which has worked in his favor in round 1 over the years. Even Johnson is looking improved with coaches that know how to use him (2 TDs Sunday). 

Regarding QB - this is a good reminder to not overreact and force it. Seeing more and more of that in the draft. The Raiders are well outfitted to support a young QB when the right one comes along and being smart with picks like Bowers is part of that. 

The smart thing about hiring Telasco is that he can draft which no matter which way you slice it has been the Raiders main problem in the last 20 years

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

The smart thing about hiring Telasco is that he can draft which no matter which way you slice it has been the Raiders main problem in the last 20 years

I agree, but you will get a lot of people who say he can't and misses in the later rounds. 

Personally, hitting in the early rounds is far more important than missing in the late rounds. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I agree, but you will get a lot of people who say he can't and misses in the later rounds. 

Personally, hitting in the early rounds is far more important than missing in the late rounds. 

I heard that too which is a stupid critique. Most people in the later rounds never even see the field. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Let's look at QB, OT, CB, Edge shall we?

QB: No arguing that there was a hole, but I don't blame the FO for not trading up for Nix/Penix. I liked JJ but the Vikings/teams in that area wouldn't budge on the pick.

OT: Miller is struggling off of injury, but Munford has been decent against 2 very good sets of edge. Additionally, the IOL has been the biggest issue, namely James/Whitehair.

CB: Bennett has played very well on the outside across from Jack Jones.

Edge: One of the strongest positions on the team. Koonce was outstanding last year. You can't expect that him AND wilson would get hurt week 1. No team is 4-5 deep at edge.

I agree that OT/CB would have been better value in the offseason but looking back the only clear huge hole was QB. And that's a hole we can fill this upcoming year given that we have loaded the offense up with weapons to help a young QB succeed.

Let's look at it.

QB:  I had said numerous times that if JJ hit the 10th pick that would have been our chance to move up for a potential franchise QB and not have to mortgage the future.  I believe we could have moved to 10 by offering 13 our 3rd this year and 3rd/4th next year but we didn't even try and that bothers me.  

OT: Miller is an above average LT and is still 28.  I don't think the value would be there to upgrade him right now. I liked the pick of JPJ as he appeared to be good value at a position of need.  The rest of our Oline is below average and that includes RT.  We need to upgrade all three of those positions and typically interior OL value can be had in the 2nd through 4th rounds. RT value was there in the 1st. 

CB:  We are missing a lockdown #1 CB and I can not stress how important one is for a D.  Having a guy who can control the best WR's in the NFL is an extremely important.  We have nothing on the roster that resembles a shutdown #1.  Jones is a serviceable #2 and Bennett is still unproven. The D would be vastly improved with a lockdown 1, Jones as the 2, Hobbs as the NB and Bennett as a depth piece.  Outside of QB, adding a lockdown #1 CB would provide the best ROI and must be addressed!

Edge: We have Maxx who is clearly one of the best in the NFL.  Koonce finished strong last year but is far from a proven commodity and is now injured.  I feel like he can be upgraded and would be much better as a rotational piece than an every down player which is why we drafted Wilson in the first place.  It's unfortunate that Wilson isn't Will Anderson Jr because a combo like that would wreaking havoc on opposing Olines and QB's for at least half a decade.  It's quite unfortunate that Wilson appears to be another bust. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

12 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Hitting in the early rounds for two to three consecutive seasons could turn this franchise around.  That is the key to long term success and an area the the previous regimes have gotten a F grade in over the last 20 years. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, big_palooka said:

DJ Fluker, Jason Verettt, Mike Williams, Jerry Tillery, Kenneth Murray...

I'm not saying he's garbage in round 1, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily worked in his favor either. The whiffs are as common as the busts. He gets way too much credit for Bosa and Herbert. He's certainly had other good ones like Slater, Johnson, James, and possibly Johnston. But if it worked in his favor so well, he would've still had his old job and the Chargers wouldn't have been so devoid of talent. 

Regardless, his FA and later picks were pretty bad. Not sure this is brought up enough, but if you can only hit in the 1st round, and even if you nail every single pick, it'd take you a decade or more to field a functional unit. Gotta do more than land the 1st rounders ~50% of the time. So far, so good here so I'm cool with it, but I'm not anointing him the savior quite yet. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1