Broncos name Bo Nix as starting QB

BroncoSojia

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Where is @catcheryeawhen you need him?  

I tried to post the gif, but the forum didn’t let the format for whatever reason. 

I'm considering a mutiny against @MikeT14's CFB mod status for this post:

18 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Love it. I think he can be a solid starter.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Nix’s physical tools were never a question. He was a guy who coming out was a hot mess at Auburn and thrived in Oregon yet came up short in big games. He benefited from a spread option scheme and getting the ball out quickly. The huge negatives are:

Oregon essentially asked nothing of him as a downfield or intermediate processor.

He relied heavily on RPO, screens, very simple vertical routes.

His footwork was sloppy.

He had a very difficult time going through progressions, operating off script, or knowing what to do when his primary target was taken away.

He bailed out instead of stepping into his throws when under pressure.

So yes, he absolutely can overcome those things, but if he doesn’t it won’t be a surprise.

The college game was too fast for him, and despite playing a billion games it never slowed down. If he succeeds in the NFL as a starter I'll be shocked.

Saying he's a 'system guy' doesn't really work when the system is 'dink and dunk, RPO the ball behind the LoS, let athletes make plays'. At Oregon, they can recruit those guys and make it work because good secondary players in college are rare, but in the NFL good DBs mean any WR/pass catching RB who can win 1-1 matchups outside consistently is hard to find and expensive.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The college game was too fast for him, and despite playing a billion games it never slowed down. If he succeeds in the NFL as a starter I'll be shocked.

Saying he's a 'system guy' doesn't really work when the system is 'dink and dunk, RPO the ball behind the LoS, let athletes make plays'. At Oregon, they can recruit those guys and make it work because good secondary players in college are rare, but in the NFL good DBs mean any WR/pass catching RB who can win 1-1 matchups outside consistently is hard to find and expensive.

They took mine away.  It’s a Bo Nix conspiracy 

Insult Burn GIF

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Funny, I always assumed @MikeT14 was serving a 20 year term in the galleys ala Ben Hur as penance for something terrible he’d done.

Not to be a jerk but after 5-6 years in college, you’d expect someone to dominate, whereas Penix did it as an underclassman at IU but his was more medical related.

I’ve seen too many guys like Mariota, Alex Smith, Dennis Dixon, RGIII, Tim Tebow, etc to buy into that. Sure, once in a GREAT while it can work, but I’m never buying, always “show me” from now on.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

They took mine away.  It’s a Bo Nix conspiracy 

Insult Burn GIF

Unfortunately, we still need OSU fan mod representation because of Michigan memes. Once the post Harbaugh nonsense settles down, we strike.

19 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm full of equally bad takes to my good ones :)

There's some Jayden Daniels takes I'd like to keep buried, so yeah we're all in that boat. But I legitimately didn't know any long time CFB forum posters liked the dude as an NFL prospect at all.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Unfortunately, we still need OSU fan mod representation because of Michigan memes. Once the post Harbaugh nonsense settles down, we strike.

There's some Jayden Daniels takes I'd like to keep buried, so yeah we're all in that boat. But I legitimately didn't know any long time CFB forum posters liked the dude as an NFL prospect at all.

Oh that never stopped me from roasting him at times too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’ve seen too many guys like Mariota, Alex Smith, Dennis Dixon, RGIII, Tim Tebow, etc to buy into that. Sure, once in a GREAT while it can work, but I’m never buying, always “show me” from now on.

Exactly.

And he's not Brock Purdy either. Purdy consistently attacks downfield.

Alex Smith is an interesting comp, that's probably who he reminds me of most in hindsight. Jay Cutler with worse arm strength/footwork maybe?

EDIT: Vikings Sam Bradford a bit too.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Exactly.

And he's not Brock Purdy either. Purdy consistently attacks downfield.

Alex Smith is an interesting comp, that's probably who he reminds me of most in hindsight. Jay Cutler with worse arm strength/footwork maybe?

EDIT: Vikings Sam Bradford a bit too.

Nix is a better athlete than Bradford, I think Alex Smith aged 24 instead of 20/21 makes sense.

Jay Cutler despite all his flaws at least showed flashes of capability with an absolute rocket on a horrific Vandy squad.

Regardless, maybe magically everything clicks in the NFL when everyone is bigger/stronger/faster and the game is more complex than knowing presnap based off of alignment to college formations that don’t exist in the NFL where you’re throwing the ball, expecting guys like RB and TE to beat subpar matchups on linebackers, but that’s a lot to ask.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

lol maybe not ultra elite but Purdy was in the top 5-10 last year…which is a really nice ceiling. And Nix is more talented than Purdy. 

I like Purdy and understand the point you were making, but I’m not sure I agree. Nic clearly has superior physical tools, but Purdy is a much better processor with super clean mechanics, better ball placement, and played in a pro style system. Within weeks guys like Warner were advocating for him as a starter. 

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I like Purdy and understand the point you were making, but I’m not sure I agree. Nic clearly has superior physical tools, but Purdy is a much better processor with super clean mechanics, better ball placement, and played in a pro style system. Within weeks guys like Warner were advocating for him as a starter. 

I think much of this is hindsight though. It’s like the comps people try to make to Brady and Brees that always fall short. Brady and Brees weren’t Brady and Brees in college. It’s something that developed over time…and that’s why this idea of ceiling is just silly. They would have been called low ceiling players before they became two of the greatest ever. I love Purdy BTW. It Nix is anywhere close to that…that’s a grand slam. 

Edited by sammymvpknight
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Where is @catcheryeawhen you need him?  

I tried to post the gif, but the forum didn’t let the format for whatever reason. 

two or three weeks ago it hit me that if you asked me to assembly my own personal qb room from hell it would include exactly bo nix, jarrett stidham, and zach wilson (honorable mention tj finley). i don't know what sean payton is trying to prove but he's clearly a deeply deranged individual

• Like 4